Guinea Fowl

Yes, I have raised them and also had them wandering the property. They make one of the most evil sounding noises I have heard! It is a cross between an evil screeching witch and a rooster. I raised these in the incubator for a friend and the babies were very cute, but every time I stuck my head in to see if they were OK they would peep, peep, peep, non-stop for the next hour or so! Drove me crazy.

■■■■■■ awesome if you have snake problems as they will gang up on the snake and drive it off.
But back to the noise…not pleasant. If you live in the suburbs then pick something else.

Thanks for that. We’re on 10 acres with the same either side and behind. Suburbia starts at the end of our driveway out the front. I have heard that they get noisy when anything different happens eg a strange car, snake, etc etc.

We have 3 dogs that the ticks like and get our share of snakes around.

Keep thinking it might be worth getting some but if they are too noisy, just getting rid of them again.

Sound like they’d be good to ward off burglars and mormons though.

Silly me thought people were eating these guys at first

I think I'll try some fledged keets first.

We’ve got my mother in laws f*@#ing rooster here at the moment so if they are as bad as that, or worse, they’re gone. This rooster starts at 3am and goes nearly all day until well after dark.

Unless you want to fertilise your eggs, get rid of the rooster. As harsh as it sounds, everyone will be happier. Even the chooks.

Rocko, my last rooster, had to go and join the chicken circus after his attack from behind on Mrs WP. The puncture wounds in the back of her leg were the last straw. He had never attacked me, but he terrorised everyone else. Which I used to think was pretty funny. My poor neighbour would look after our place if we were away and he would drive over with a broom in his car to keep him off. He would attack my brothers car as he tried to leave. The bugger could have been looked in the hen house in the dark and if either of them turned up he would start crowing. I used to work remotely from our property and do a lot of teleconferences across AP. The ■■■■■■ rooster would wander past my office window and if he spotted me inside he would crow away. I had to quickly hit mute and then go and throw something at him to make him go away.

This one is a silky. Been here since before Christmas when MIL house sat for us. She’s now in Canberra but back this week. When she heads home she will be taking her chooks, dog and cat with her. 3 of the noisiest animals I’ve ever encountered. Wont be sorry to see them go. I reckon we’ll end up with her dog though. Too big for her now. Great dane cross.

Neighbours swear they don’t hear anyhing but they are exceedingly nice people

We’ve got my mother in laws f*@#ing rooster here at the moment so if they are as bad as that, or worse, they’re gone. This rooster starts at 3am and goes nearly all day until well after dark.

Sounds like at least one of the two has to go :tongue:

Uploaded with Imgupr

Google “Billy Possum”

Or check out the relevant podcast on 99% Invisible.

Educational.

Sounds like at least one of the two has to go :tongue:

The old ■■■■ . or the old bag?

Tinhill that photo is ■■■■■■. Argh

Come on now. Everyone will be eating them once meat is $100 per kg in 10 years.

I used to work remotely from our property and do a lot of teleconferences across AP. The ■■■■■■ rooster would wander past my office window and if he spotted me inside he would crow away. I had to quickly hit mute and then go and throw something at him to make him go away.

The mental image of this is pretty funny. Rooster noises during a serious teleconference then all of sudden WP disappears, then comes back out of breath covered in feathers and trying to behave like nothing is out of the ordinary.

Come on now. Everyone will be eating them once meat is $100 per kg in 10 years.

Plenty of fat ■■■■■ out there to eat first.

Yes, I have raised them and also had them wandering the property. They make one of the most evil sounding noises I have heard! It is a cross between an evil screeching witch and a rooster. I raised these in the incubator for a friend and the babies were very cute, but every time I stuck my head in to see if they were OK they would peep, peep, peep, non-stop for the next hour or so! Drove me crazy.

■■■■■■ awesome if you have snake problems as they will gang up on the snake and drive it off.
But back to the noise…not pleasant. If you live in the suburbs then pick something else.

Thanks for that. We’re on 10 acres with the same either side and behind. Suburbia starts at the end of our driveway out the front. I have heard that they get noisy when anything different happens eg a strange car, snake, etc etc.

Keep thinking it might be worth getting some but if they are too noisy, just getting rid of them again.

No worries. I have heard they are meant to help keep the ticks down, so if you get them bad it is worth trying. Sounds like you have enough space to not annoy anyone else anyway. Do you have chooks now? Are you just adding these or would these be your only birds?

How would you dogs go with them free ranging? If they are not used to having poultry around they can be a bit inquisitive and run the poor things to death or worse. My dogs are now trained to keep the chooks off the deck, but otherwise don’t pay them any attention.

oh man I need to do this! chicken ■■■■ on the deck is the worst…

No worries. I have heard they are meant to help keep the ticks down, so if you get them bad it is worth trying. Sounds like you have enough space to not annoy anyone else anyway. Do you have chooks now? Are you just adding these or would these be your only birds?

How would you dogs go with them free ranging? If they are not used to having poultry around they can be a bit inquisitive and run the poor things to death or worse. My dogs are now trained to keep the chooks off the deck, but otherwise don’t pay them any attention.

Nope. Believe me, duck ■■■■ is worse!

Cat ■■■■ beats nearly all ■■■■ in the “which is worse” stakes.

Nope. Believe me, duck ■■■■ is worse!

Ha, I was just about to hit quote and reply this!! The worst ■■■■ for sure. Especially if they have spent all day eating in the dam and then come up to dump on the deck, or around the steps. Green and slimy that doesn’t want to clean off. Don’t let it dry out!

Anyway, we don’t have duck anymore. My big dog decided to take things in to her own paws and one day we came back from being in town and found eight dead ducks. Not savaged or ■■■■■■, just looked like they had gone to sleep. I worked out that Lacey, big dog, just stepped on them to stop them running away. At the time she was just a puppy, although she did weigh about 50kg so the poor old runner ducks didn’t stand a chance. So now after the duck massacre we only have chickens.

Cat ■■■■ beats nearly all ■■■■ in the "which is worse" stakes.

No, what’s ‘worst’, is my (partner’s) farkin Jack Russell who insists on hunting out and eating all the farkin cat ■■■■ he can find, chasing it down with copious amounts of grass and water, and then spewing the (literal) ■■■■ up all over the farkin place. And you know what he does then? Do ya? yes - you guessed…

I used to work remotely from our property and do a lot of teleconferences across AP. The ■■■■■■ rooster would wander past my office window and if he spotted me inside he would crow away. I had to quickly hit mute and then go and throw something at him to make him go away.

The mental image of this is pretty funny. Rooster noises during a serious teleconference then all of sudden WP disappears, then comes back out of breath covered in feathers and trying to behave like nothing is out of the ordinary.

Ha. one time the missus came running into my office whilst I was on telecon and says that there is a snake in the chook house. So I had to excuse my self and go and deal with it. It certainly gave them something to talk about whilst I was off dealing with the snake.

No, what’s ‘worst’, is my (partner’s) farkin Jack Russell who insists on hunting out and eating all the farkin cat ■■■■ he can find, chasing it down with copious amounts of grass and water, and then spewing the (literal) ■■■■ up all over the farkin place. And you know what he does then? Do ya? yes - you guessed…

Haha, that dog is not right in the head!! Or the guts. What is it about animals and wanting to eat other animals ■■■■? The dogs want to eat the cow or horse ■■■■, or roll in it, or even better eat it and then roll in it.

Although, I must say it is quite disturbing to see the chooks getting excited when they find a fresh pile of dog ■■■■.

So Jack … got any other interesting habits?

*it’s ok, you can keep blaming the dog

Ha. one time the missus came running into my office whilst I was on telecon and says that there is a snake in the chook house. So I had to excuse my self and go and deal with it. It certainly gave them something to talk about whilst I was off dealing with the snake.

Cool euphemism, bro :wink: