Gumtree D*ckheads

Society is de-volving right before our eyes.

2 Likes

I cant speak for experience on Gum Tree, but I waited 3 weeks for an Ebay package to arrive. Only to find the fragile mini tabletop figurines broken and not properly wrapped to prevent it (just some foam mini pallet things surrounding them)

Cant use the pieces I bought. Waste of $30

With Diggers 100% on this. Plus, how about a phone call rather than 98 text/Gumtree messages.

2 Likes

I like to leave my ad on gumtree even when it’s sold, allows me to string along anyone that tries to lowball me…it gives me a sense of enourmous wellbeing.

3 Likes

I had a really big item up there for like 900. And that was a really decent price.

Guy calls me. I’ll give you 50 bucks. Get lost I say.

Calls me the next week. I’ll give you 60 bucks. Bye bye.

Calls me a week later. You’re right, I’m thinking about the 900, can I come look at it? Sure.

Dude turns up to ‘look at’ the item with a truck and 50 bucks.

1 Like

did you take the truck?

11 Likes

I would have said I wouldn’t sell to you if you offered me double, go ■■■■ yourself.

I feel your pain though SMJ. I had something around a similar price and had someone want to haggle via gumtree messages. I said, “It would be fair to assume a serious buyer would at least take the time to view the item before they began to haggle a price. If you are a serious buyer, you are welcome to view it”. Got no reply as expected.
Half an hour later I got a message from another user, “What’s your best price?” . I have no doubt it was the same person.

Could we just let lions roam the streets…please. It’s people like this what will want to pat and take selfies with these man eating animals.

3 Likes

Wonderful thread. Gumtree seriously attracts the biggest oxygen theives. Sold a barely used, good brand high chair that the little one grew out of for $20. Had two blokes come over (a day early mind you at 9pm on a Monday) spent a good half hour trying to get $5 off the price and they even called up one of their mates to come over to have a look and get their opinion

3 Likes

I’ve had pretty good experiences. Sold a Smeg retro style fridge for $500, lovely lady contacted me pretty much straight away and asked if I’d hold it for her till the following day. Guy rang after that and I told him if the lady didn’t take it I’d call him back. He messaged me throughout the day offering 600 then 700 then 800. Was weird.

Also found a great home for my peacocks within a few minutes.

1 Like

Sold a filing cabinet for $2. Guy inspected it for two minutes. It’s a $2 filing cabinet mate.

10 Likes

Yes, but if it’s rooted, it’s a $2 piece of crap you’ll have to turn around and dispose of.

3 Likes

People who use eBay are wanting to buy things.

People who use Gumtree are tightwad low balling losers of society looking for something for as close to free as they can get it.

1 Like

wut?

I put an oval oak dining table on gumtree with 4 chairs (used to have 6) $175 (was worth more but I just wanted to get rid of it).

A woman contacted within hour. Didn’t haggle will there this afternoon she said and she was.

Another time I advertised in the local paper. Small dining dresser with leadlight door, $90. A elderly woman came to have a look, haggled a bit, we decided on $70, will be back to collect this afternoon. Came with her daughter, put $60 in my hand. We decided on $70 I said, made her hand over the extra $10. Fair dinkum some people.

8 Likes

If you want a filing cabinet that doesn’t have the chance of being broken, spend more than $2

3 Likes

GUMB

1 Like

To be fair, with every bad experience I’ve had, there’s equally been good stories too. We were selling our used Baby Bjorn for $40. A nice expecting couple turned up and gave us $50 for it saying it was more than fair as you can’t get this model here.

On the buying end I bought a dust collector/air filtration system for the shed. The bloke took the time to show it working then spend 20 minutes with me dissembling it so it’d fit in the back of my SUV.

You do get your share of dickheads, but no more than anywhere else.

6 Likes

Had some good & bad. Those that are genuine don’t haggle. Had a Nigerian scammer wanting me to email him privately with our details- didn’t want to see it, just agreed on price… wanted our address, bank account etc to send courier to! … turns out he was into identity theft. Lesson- don’t respond to private emails.

3 Likes

Good tip, cheers.

The scammer was pretending he worked on an oil rig in NZ & couldn’t use sms. Turns out he was sending multiple enquirers to car/boat/bike sellers. We were selling a motor bike.