GWS Players - Who do we want?

What are your thoughts in the GWS stars that are coming out of contract and who do you think we should target?
I don’t know if we could afford Cameron, but he would certainly sort out or forward line issues.

GREATER Western Sydney young gun Devon Smith has emerged as the latest target of Victorian raiders.

Smith is one of six superstar 21-year-olds falling out of contract at the Giants at the end of the season.

Jeremy Cameron, Adam Treloar, Stephen Coniglio, Dylan Shiel and Will Hoskin-Elliott are also yet to recommit to the fledgling expansion club.

Player agents indicated they would wait to see how the club performed in the first half of 2015 before entering into serious contract discussions.

The Giants have tabled a five-year deal for Smith, who finished second in the club’s best and fairest last year, but the classy goal-kicker wants to wait.

Smith has been touted as a future captain of the club.

Cashed-up Richmond will be at the front of the queue for top-end talent, while clubs like Geelong chasing Adelaide’s Patrick Dangerfield could also strike.

Cameron could demand more than a $1 million-a-season and has rejected Greater Western Sydney overtures to sign a new long-term deal.

Treloar has been linked to Collingwood.

Coniglio is open to staying but will assess his options depending on his midfield opportunities. The West Coast Coast Eagles are keen to lure him home to Perth.

Giants CEO Dave Matthews said the club was confident of retaining its stars.

“We are continuing to work with their managers … we’re keen to retain them all,” Matthews said.

But one rival club figure said he feared GWS could become a liability for the entire competition if it fails to re-sign the bulk of its young talent this season.

The Giants have won just 9 of its 66 games since entering the AFL in 2012.

The club faces a critical start to the AFL season with winnable matches against St Kilda (Round 1), Melbourne (Round 2), Gold Coast (Round 4), Carlton (Round 7) and the Western Bulldogs (Round 9).

Former No.1 pick Tom Boyd sensationally quit the club last year after just one season in a trade for Western Bulldogs skipper Ryan Griffen.

Dom Tyson (pick No.3 in 2011), Jono O’Rourke (pick No.2 in 2012), Taylor Adams (pick No.13 in 2011) and Kristian Jaksch (pick No.12 in 2012) have already defected to Melbourne-based clubs.

Midfield young gun Lachie Whitfield, taken by the Giants with the first selection in 2012, comes out of contract at the end of next season.

The state of GWS’s finances were laid bare this week in documents filed with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.

The club received an extra $1.75 million from the league in loans and pre-payments last year — but still recorded a $530,000 loss.

Giants chairman Tony Shepherd said the club was building a sound financial position.

“We are operating in the biggest and most competitive market in Australia and yet we can be pleased with the progress the club is making after just three years,” Shepherd said.

He said the club already had net assets of $11.6 million.

Personally, my concern is more development than drafting, especially when it comes to midfielders.

Consider - we’ve drafted mids/smalls overwhelmingly for years now. As far as i can recall right now, the only blokes over 190cm we’ve brought into the club by trade or draft THIS DECADE are Joe, Giles, and McKernan. Maybe Langford will grow a bit more, that would be handy.

But the main point is that, of all the mids and smalls we’ve brought in to the club, all of the ones who’ve made it, have made it straight out of the box. Heppell walked into the best 22 in his first game, never looked back. Same with Zerrett. Same with Hibberd and Bags even, and those 4 guys are our big drafting successes when it comes to non-kpps over the last few years. What we haven’t been able to do is develop guys through the twos. Colyer is arguably the exception, but seriously, he’s been a 2s player for the majority of his SIX YEARS at the club, and the best we’ve managed to do with him is develop him into a sub-20 touch/game player, albeit an extremely damaging and dynamic one (and one who is clearly best 22). Gleeson is close, but is still getting a game largely on potential at this point, not DEMANDING one like Heppell, Zerrett, and even Zaka did, straight out of the draft.

I hope that the club is looking hard at our development and at our VFL coaching. Not to say conclusively it’s a development issue rather than a drafting or even a selection issue, but I do think it needs to be looked at, hard, to make sure. I have a lot of faith in Browne, and he’s been unlucky with injuries so probably doesn’t really count, but it really does seem that, over the past years, not many players have noticeably benefited from a long stay at VFL level. Kav, NOB, Aylett, Dalgleish, even Ashby and Jerrett - they really just seem to be very minor incremental upgrades on the players that they were 3 or whatever years ago. There just seems to be a bit much stagnation of talent happening in the 2s for my taste. Nobody is really going there to work on their game for a few months (or even years) which results in a breakout development trajectory and demanding a ones spot. Even our clear VFL best this year, McKernan, came onto the list at the standard he’s currently at. Our VFL system had nothing to do with him performing as he has.

It is a worry that all our good youth came into the club already largely developed, and there’s so few that patient development has managed to turn from promising juniors into good AFL players.

Reckon a 195cm version of Gleeson or NO’B or Kommer would’ve been much better?
What you’ve said is correct as far as it goes but when you start with 1 pick in the first 4,000 - which has been the case all this decade - you’re not exactly picking from a great field.

Not sure what the solution is TBH.
I’d be dumping a lot of Chap/Winders types and probably Kav/NOB types and going to the draft full bore.

What I proposed back in 2007 was trading out Lucas and Hille (plus some fringe, can’t remember who). On the basis both had little hope of being around for our next tilt, Lucas had just missed being AA by a tiny margin so had value, and Hille had value as a ruck. Would have meant a lower finish in 2008/2009 and better picks in those years as well as in 2007. But it wasn’t the EFC way, and generally received a harsh reception on Blitz. I may also have thought Laycock would come good at that stage to partially cover Hille…

That said, if we wanted more picks that was a way to go. Would have given you 2-4 top 25 picks, given Hille & Lucas chances at premierships (if they went to contenders), forced us to develop youth more, and probably have given us better picks in 2008 & 2009 (maybe a priority pick in 2008 if we went badly enough).

But then, I said I was quite open to Winders retiring last year, and trading Dempsey and Howlett. So I am regularly out of line with many blitzers. It would have netted us 2 more decent picks, allowed room to pick a tall, and let Aylett stay on the main list. While freeing up cap space for a tilt at someone this year. The team would have been weaker, but not by a huge margin. Youth would be getting more of a go.

All in all it is a simple equation - you can only get good picks via trading out/FA out, finishing low, or finishing so low you get priority picks. If you want to rebuild faster with better quality picks, you have to trade out some of your quality. Preferably those who won’t be there for your next premiership window.

Personally, my concern is more development than drafting, especially when it comes to midfielders.

Consider - we’ve drafted mids/smalls overwhelmingly for years now. As far as i can recall right now, the only blokes over 190cm we’ve brought into the club by trade or draft THIS DECADE are Joe, Giles, and McKernan. Maybe Langford will grow a bit more, that would be handy.

But the main point is that, of all the mids and smalls we’ve brought in to the club, all of the ones who’ve made it, have made it straight out of the box. Heppell walked into the best 22 in his first game, never looked back. Same with Zerrett. Same with Hibberd and Bags even, and those 4 guys are our big drafting successes when it comes to non-kpps over the last few years. What we haven’t been able to do is develop guys through the twos. Colyer is arguably the exception, but seriously, he’s been a 2s player for the majority of his SIX YEARS at the club, and the best we’ve managed to do with him is develop him into a sub-20 touch/game player, albeit an extremely damaging and dynamic one (and one who is clearly best 22). Gleeson is close, but is still getting a game largely on potential at this point, not DEMANDING one like Heppell, Zerrett, and even Zaka did, straight out of the draft.

I hope that the club is looking hard at our development and at our VFL coaching. Not to say conclusively it’s a development issue rather than a drafting or even a selection issue, but I do think it needs to be looked at, hard, to make sure. I have a lot of faith in Browne, and he’s been unlucky with injuries so probably doesn’t really count, but it really does seem that, over the past years, not many players have noticeably benefited from a long stay at VFL level. Kav, NOB, Aylett, Dalgleish, even Ashby and Jerrett - they really just seem to be very minor incremental upgrades on the players that they were 3 or whatever years ago. There just seems to be a bit much stagnation of talent happening in the 2s for my taste. Nobody is really going there to work on their game for a few months (or even years) which results in a breakout development trajectory and demanding a ones spot. Even our clear VFL best this year, McKernan, came onto the list at the standard he’s currently at. Our VFL system had nothing to do with him performing as he has.

It is a worry that all our good youth came into the club already largely developed, and there’s so few that patient development has managed to turn from promising juniors into good AFL players.

What you’ve said is correct as far as it goes but when you start with 1 pick in the first 4,000 - which has been the case all this decade - you’re not exactly picking from a great field.

I’d be dumping a lot of Chap/Winders types and probably Kav/NOB types and going to the draft full bore.

And Gwilt?

"a lot of X types" can include more than those 2 exact names, yes.

And Gwilt?

Surely there is some outside run players from Dees/Doggies/North that we could poach - all would have salary issues

I think looking towards GWS/GC will end up paying overs

Jason Johannisen?

Hoskin-Elliott has re-signed with the Giants on a 2 year deal.

Farque.

Booooo

Surely there is some outside run players from Dees/Doggies/North that we could poach - all would have salary issues

I think looking towards GWS/GC will end up paying overs

Probably not. But it depends on where we think we are at the end of the season. If there is a view that actually we're 4-5 years off being a premiership chance, then you might think about it. Our key talls are 40 (guess who!), 26.5 (Hooker), 25.9 (Belly), 25.0 (Hurley), 23.7 (Carlisle) and 21.2 (Daniher). If its going to be 4-5 years before we're a threat, well Hooker, Belly and Hurley may be at the end of their careers at that point. If over the next 2-3 years you could convert those three into 4-5 good picks, maybe you do that before they all enter FA (is Belly there?). Then draft a mix of guys like M. Brown to try and hold the fort in the middle years and youngsters and target guys like Lobb and Tomlinson at GWS to strengthen the younger brigade. It would also solve the Carlisle has to play as a forward issue (as with one/both of Hurley & Hooker out you move him back) while stuffing our rucks.

I don’t think we’ll really start a rebuild that early. Partly because they’ve promised this group to have a crack. Partly because Essendon has never shown that type of steel in rebuilding. But if we can’t make it now, that would be the smarter move, plus possibly trading out some older mids such as Stanton, Zaha, who might have currency. Pretty cold though, which is why we won’t do it.

I’m not a believer in a re-build per se.

My aim you would be to always improve your list every year through free agency and/or and/or draft.

Giving away your best players for draft picks to “re build” doesn’t really play dividends - it’s almost certainly cost the Pies a flag and they have gone backwards on the ladder every year for the last 3 years when they embarked on this approach under Buckley. This year, for the first time, they will finish higher than the previous year under Buckley - and despite what they’ve recruited their 3 most important players are Swan, Pendelbury & Cloke (in that order IMO). The Saints and Bulldogs are a long way away and show occasional signs of promise but that’s about it. Geelong have been trying to re-build for 2-3 years and keep going backwards as those they bring in are not to the standard as those being moved on because they are too old (e.g. Chapman plays for the Cats last year and they probably win that final against North).

You never know when you are really going to be a chance but if you simply keep looking to improve your list every year you can maximise that chance when it does come along. The best way to do that is to rid yourself of the 3-5 weakest players on your list in concert with any retirements. Look after your good players, use salary cap space to get a free agent that is instantly in your best 18. Only trade if you have to and use the draft instead and back your football development program to develop draftees into AFL players more often than not.

Is this not pretty much exactly what we have done since the Knights regime?

Mainly but lack of draft picks the last two years means we haven’t culled 3 of our lesser players for the 1 x first round and 2 x second draft picks we’ve been denied. That’s a significant improvement in list quality that has been denied us.

Knights certainly culled and left our list in much better shape than when he inherited it.

Probably not. But it depends on where we think we are at the end of the season. If there is a view that actually we're 4-5 years off being a premiership chance, then you might think about it. Our key talls are 40 (guess who!), 26.5 (Hooker), 25.9 (Belly), 25.0 (Hurley), 23.7 (Carlisle) and 21.2 (Daniher). If its going to be 4-5 years before we're a threat, well Hooker, Belly and Hurley may be at the end of their careers at that point. If over the next 2-3 years you could convert those three into 4-5 good picks, maybe you do that before they all enter FA (is Belly there?). Then draft a mix of guys like M. Brown to try and hold the fort in the middle years and youngsters and target guys like Lobb and Tomlinson at GWS to strengthen the younger brigade. It would also solve the Carlisle has to play as a forward issue (as with one/both of Hurley & Hooker out you move him back) while stuffing our rucks.

I don’t think we’ll really start a rebuild that early. Partly because they’ve promised this group to have a crack. Partly because Essendon has never shown that type of steel in rebuilding. But if we can’t make it now, that would be the smarter move, plus possibly trading out some older mids such as Stanton, Zaha, who might have currency. Pretty cold though, which is why we won’t do it.

My aim you would be to always improve your list every year through free agency and/or and/or draft.

Giving away your best players for draft picks to “re build” doesn’t really play dividends - it’s almost certainly cost the Pies a flag and they have gone backwards on the ladder every year for the last 3 years when they embarked on this approach under Buckley. This year, for the first time, they will finish higher than the previous year under Buckley - and despite what they’ve recruited their 3 most important players are Swan, Pendelbury & Cloke (in that order IMO). The Saints and Bulldogs are a long way away and show occasional signs of promise but that’s about it. Geelong have been trying to re-build for 2-3 years and keep going backwards as those they bring in are not to the standard as those being moved on because they are too old (e.g. Chapman plays for the Cats last year and they probably win that final against North).

You never know when you are really going to be a chance but if you simply keep looking to improve your list every year you can maximise that chance when it does come along. The best way to do that is to rid yourself of the 3-5 weakest players on your list in concert with any retirements. Look after your good players, use salary cap space to get a free agent that is instantly in your best 18. Only trade if you have to and use the draft instead and back your football development program to develop draftees into AFL players more often than not.

Is this not pretty much exactly what we have done since the Knights regime?

Wasn't there rumours that the Bulldogs were picking up some of Cooney's contract? Would be nice if true.

Soft Tissue, shame on you suggesting Fletch will retire this year!

I know, I’ll just go and wash my mouth out with soap…

Probably not. But it depends on where we think we are at the end of the season. If there is a view that actually we’re 4-5 years off being a premiership chance, then you might think about it. Our key talls are 40 (guess who!), 26.5 (Hooker), 25.9 (Belly), 25.0 (Hurley), 23.7 (Carlisle) and 21.2 (Daniher). If its going to be 4-5 years before we’re a threat, well Hooker, Belly and Hurley may be at the end of their careers at that point. If over the next 2-3 years you could convert those three into 4-5 good picks, maybe you do that before they all enter FA (is Belly there?). Then draft a mix of guys like M. Brown to try and hold the fort in the middle years and youngsters and target guys like Lobb and Tomlinson at GWS to strengthen the younger brigade. It would also solve the Carlisle has to play as a forward issue (as with one/both of Hurley & Hooker out you move him back) while stuffing our rucks.

Considering that the draft this year has jack all genuine kpp I would say no…

But then again, we could get some good talent if a club is desperately want some

We also need to look at what would be worth giving up. Is gutting our kpp stocks worth bolstering our mids?

Wasn't there rumours that the Bulldogs were picking up some of Cooney's contract? Would be nice if true.

Pretty sure that was Griffen

Wasn’t there rumours that the Bulldogs were picking up some of Cooney’s contract? Would be nice if true.