GWS & Umpires Def Essendon

Frustrating game

Yes - we absolutely had our chances

i turned off the last min and a half.
just checked, they lost by 16, i was still closer than you were.

1 Like

Woeful umpiring. I reckon we played better this week than last week. I would play some of the younger players now. Some of the older players are finished.

Canā€™t.
Heā€™s like a shark, ā€¦ If he stops dribbling,ā€¦ he diesā€¦

1 Like

Gleeson wasnā€™t bad tonight. Keeps his place for mine. And I had written him off.

3 Likes

A few contests he lost had me wanting Dea back. I prefer Dea myself.

and if we want to see a flag in the next 10 years we are going to have to go through them.

1 Like

So many missed opportunities, thatā€™s the most frustrating part

like i said, it was 16 points, still closer to 20 than 10.

hows the smugness of the first qtr going ? still feeling superior ??

1 Like

Lolā€¦ just canā€™t stop ā€¦

Its a bit of a worry when commentators are calling missed frees for essendon as they usually let them go.

To add the Jobe bit, none of our mids look like kicking a goal and you need that to win. 3+ plus goals from your mids is what wins you games.

I turned off the last 2 minutes too as my wife got sick of me swearing about the umpires.

7 Likes

Donā€™t know why the draft picks GWS have received gets mentioned - they had to select the right players and develop them, look at GCS for comparison

3 Likes

Hello / you were so busy working on a post up until the last minute of the game and stuffed up the losing margin in a big way.
Most of us were watching the game in suspense while you were working on the obituary. ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  ā– ā– ā– ā–  way of doing things if you ask me.

1 Like

Not withstanding the reaming we copped from the umpires ā€¦ and if this club has the pills they call this out publicly!

But John worsfold needs some heat put on him. Iā€™ve heard some comments around lately that he wants the players to take more accountability out on the field. And I get trying to instil that Monday to Friday, but if something is not working during the game, it is up to him to make some decisions.
Today screamed out for two things.

1. Stop josh Kelly
  2. Put some pace through our midfield.

He did neither. Between him, the rest of the coaching group and the selection committee, todayā€™s loss is on them.

I am not going to blame Stanton. Or howlett. Itā€™s not their fault they are no longer up to senior football. Theyā€™ve been good contributors overs the years and great clubmen but they have no place with Myers, Goddard, Watson and Heppell in midfield. It is as slow as a wet week. We needed pace to mix it up - be it colyer, tippa, fantasia, McGrath but we just continually let kelly or Scully cut us up.

If I and everyone else can see it, then so can the coaches. And if they choose to sit on their hands and watch it happen week after week, then we are going nowhere.

Overall I like Woosha, but donā€™t let ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  tear us a new one every fkn week

6 Likes

while i agree that we could and should have won it, and yet again itā€™s mostly our dumb play that ends up costing us the game.

but on paper, with our midfield, with their talent they should have absolutely smashed us.
performing for patches like they did were we couldnā€™t touch them and they just pinpointed pass after pass.

with howlett and stanton , stewart not doing much, mckenna a headless albeit exciting chook, with watson running at 38% kicking for awhile, for all the reasons why we should have got belted, we didnā€™t.

Something is obviously working to stop being scored heavily against. I canā€™t quite put my finger on it, but something is working, despite all the things that arenā€™t, or restrict itā€™s efficency in working.

2 Likes

Does Woosha ever make any positional moves?

1 Like

We would have beaten most sides with that effort today. I was super proud of the way we fought it out & thereā€™s just so many positives I can see but by the same token we just have to be smarter & pick a side that can win these games. Gleeson was solid & for mine should be persisted with. He has talent & we need him to pick up where he was at the end of last year. Stanton is finished unfortunately, I have been a massive defender of him for a decade here & would love to have seen him back to his best but its not going to happen now. What was the thinking behind his selection? Howlett I can somewhat understand after he was our best in the VFL but heā€™s a known quantity, his best is only ok & he was never ever going to make a difference. Better to play Langford or if weā€™re rewarding VFL form Bird has been in the best most weeks. Again Bird is not a match winner but his 2016 was head & shoulders above any football Howlett has produced. Myers is another very limited player who has never been a match winner, is currently out of form but still gets a game. Other than a great kick from the boundary he was a liability. Bring some kids in, whats the worst they can do - have bugger all & turn it overā€¦nothing different to what we are getting & maybe just maybe we get some development & some youthful enthusiasm. Hell I reckon even Jerrett right now would be more value than Myers.

The last 2 weeks have been frustrating but hopefully & I say hopefully with every fibre of my being, hopefully we can see that last week the difference was a star like Dusty this week it was Kelly. Swap something of that quality into our side we are a team that would be easily top 8 if not top 4. Move heaven & earth to get a star mid or its another decade of mediocrity.

11 Likes