GWS & Umpires Def Essendon

There were two blatant frees not paid in the lead up to Green’ s opener in the last - blatant chop of the arms on Stewart and then the non HTB which was also blatant. Won’t be given much attention bcz we scored but fmd

1 Like

Love it :grinning:

I couldn’t watch but listened. Not once on the radio did they mention the umpiring, apart from a “may have been a free to Goddard” in last few mins.

Assume it was a typical AFL cheat fest and the commentators got the memo?

2 Likes

Fox actually called umps out a few times. That tells you how bad they were

5 Likes

How about that free on 3/4 time then the one not paid to Goddard?

Of the push in the back, htb or throw in their fifty before the match winning goal?

Even ducking Heath Shaw pretending he didn’t know Stewart was the one to give the ball back to, he held onto to it for no reason, held up play and should have been fifty.

4 Likes

Don’t want to be a coach basher… but Worsfold could do his job from a tv in the change rooms. Never seems to pick up the phone, care about stopping a run on, tagging. When was the last time he swapped player Y with player X to stop an opposition bloke?

4 Likes

Gerard fkn Healey was screaming for our frees.

1 Like

And to make it worse they paid a free against Hurley down the other end that was far softer than the one let go against Stewart. Infuriating umpiring.

2 Likes

Meh, I still can’t work out how we were still in it with 9 minutes to go. Pretty decent effort, considering they were a class above.

The slow and plodding 2014 midfield wasn’t good enough then, it’s certainly not good enough now. I hope Woosha got some answers to that issue tonight, because the midfield needs a total rebuild.

Forward line is dangerous, even when it’s not firing. Kicking over 100 tonight was impressive.

Get around TBell

12 Likes

Umpires nobs must be bleeding after the sucking they recieved tonight.

Get farked Gil.

1 - Scully, Whitfield, Patton
2 - Kelly, Taranto
9 - Tomlinson
10 - Davis
11 - Greene
13 - Kennedy
14 - Perryman, Corr
16 - Himmelberg
19 - Ward
U18 Preselections - Shiel, Cameron, Wilson

13 top 20 picks (7 top 10), plus the 3 “probably would have been top 10”.

So depleted.

11 Likes

I’m not sure about putting that one in the honourable loss category.

If you take into account a couple of OOB we had more scoring ‘attempts’.

If our efficiency was up 5% and stuck one or two more tackles we could’ve won even with the rigged umpiring system.

We had the opportunities to win this one.

5 Likes

25 metre kick not paid a mark.

But Green and Hooker both missed straightforward shots, and Jobe doesn’t look like kicking a goal.

2 Likes

But they were so much cleaner with their disposal…pretty well all top 5 picks.

1 Like

The players that came in added little IMO. Bobcat and Stants just don’t have the legs.

Good effort but left to too few at times. The umpires missed a few howlers but they had our measure. The goal on 3qtr time though… No comment there.

Well played to Zach, Green, hurls, Watson and Zaka. Another promising game from Irish as well.

3 Likes

Stop dribbling/ they lost by 10 odd.

Sad we couldn’t give Goddard a win for his 300th. He has given a lot to the club since joining (on and off field). That emotion he displayed at half time coming into the change rooms was unreal.

Positives: our small fwds are kicking goals. Josh Green has been good since joining.
We have probably save $100k off JDs contract renewal this week.

3 Likes

I mentioned that to my brother. He wasn’t pretending not to know who it was to - it was a 1v1 free kick. He was just incensed at the decision and decided he didn’t want to give the ball back. I saw Reiwoldt do that for a THIRD of the time V Hooker and give the ball back and got pinged for 50. It was a disgrace and should have been 50 to Stewart

1 Like

5 top 2 picks plus Cameron and Sheil who would have gone around that mark.

Get ■■■■■■

1 Like

A slightly weird game. I think it is hard to argue the better side didn’t win, although we certainly could have pinched it. The umpires were poor across the game, but frankly I thought the difference wasn’t as big as some are saying here. We also got a few doozy decisions.

The scary part about that match is how many top players they’re missing and yet they still were pretty comfortable winners. They’re missing a tonne of talent - surely we can poach some of it???

The good part about that match is how many passengers we had, and yet we were still in with a chance. Indeed, they only had one more shot on goal than us.

Stewart had two really good first games, and I think showed the value of having a good third tall, or at least marking option, in our side. Unfortunately his last two games he’s been nonexistent. Howlett and Stanton really gave us nothing, and you would think are now marking time. Three players who have been important to us (JD, Raz and Walla) really were pretty quiet by their standards beyond a few cameos. Myers was average, did some good things in close and some crazy bad things (that handball out of congestion in their pocket, grrr).

I also think this is the second game where Zerrett has been down on early season form. He was still in our best 3 players, and in the first half was almost certainly number one. But he hasn’t been quite at the early season form, and when he drops off we drop off.

On the flip side - Bellchambers was great, Gleeson performed FAR better than I predicted (got that one wrong), Heppell had one of his best games this season IMO, Zaharakis really went hard several times and played well, McKenna was good, Hartley was solid. Watson got a lot of it, and was instrumental in a few key chains, but also has brain fades he never used to have. Bags got beaten by the best small forward in the league - it happens. If Hooker and Green if they’d kicked accurately we’d be singing their praises.

Overall, it went at about a scoreline I was hoping for (when being realistic), and the players can hold their heads. We kicked over 100 points. But I think there is a strong argument a few kids should be getting game time over some older players even if they’re not quite ready.

And boy - think how bad we would be if we were having a poor injury run. That is the worrying element.

17 Likes