Half of Victoria in for Days long Blackout?

And fills your Flue with creosote. Bad move.

1 Like

Shitt, now I feel bad. Rug up mate, hope you’re back among the electrons soon. :vulcan_salute:

images - 2021-06-11T092915.305

5 Likes

Power just returned here in Kilsyth. Was out from 10PM Wed night.

6 Likes

Tim, the ops coordinator at the Merlino presser, referred to tree carnage among other things, more evacuations for Traralgon - but as yet have not asked for ADF - sufficient resources, including Lifesaver aerial deployment.

Sale in trouble

1 Like

Not really. The Port of Sale floods fairly regularly. Don’t really expect any damage. That boat is tied up to a floating jetty and those pile caps are above the 100 year flood level.

Also this section of the water way is called Flooding Creek and is upstream of the Thomson and the velocity of the water here is fairly slow as the water is just backing up at the moment.

1 Like

Good news. One of my brother’s lives there, they initially told him no power until Monday!

2 Likes

Golf Course got a mention of potential flooding. Is that close to the port?

Thankfully, it was only 2 nights. Was easy enough to just convince the kids to ‘camp indoors’. Good sports.

4 Likes

Not sure where the golf course is.

There’s a substantial flood plain on the west side of Sale. It’s pretty common for it to be under water. I’d be very surprised if this caused much drama to the actual township as they are fairly high above the river level.

Edit- actually looking closer at those photos it’s got about a meter of rise to hit the nearby buildings.

1 Like

Power back on a couple of hours ago, phew. Still a lot to go on Mt Dandenong though…

4 Likes

The golf course is on the Latrobe River and is about 5km downstream from the Port. The Thomson is about 1.5km downstream of the Port. I have been told that the water is almost up to the boardwalk now and will start rising fairly quickly soon but it still shouldn’t cause much damage.

1 Like

Appropriately named waterway.

2 Likes

The Macalister runs into the Thomson north west of Sale and then Flooding Creek which only has a small catchment runs through the Port and joins the Thomson which joins the Latrobe a couple of kms later. So flooding in any of those rivers raises the water at the Port. The buildings at the Port will have water come close shouldn’t come into them.

1 Like

Still no power on in the Dandenongs. Have the fire running and the genny going, so OK. I have swept up or mulched the small branches immediately around the house and feel much better for it - have re-established mans dominance over nature in a small way.

(Expect a big smack in the face from nature tomorrow for that comment!)

5 Likes

Or from woman.

2 Likes

Just about to bring up 48 hours without power.
Should I raise my bat, or just lift a glass to celebrate?

Daughter despatched to her cousin’s house.
Frozen meat sent to one mate’s house, loaded chest freezer sent off to another’s.

Us huddled under dressing gowns, blankets, balaclavas etc. watching Netflix.

What a life…

8 Likes

Jeepers. Good luck.