Half of Victoria in for Days long Blackout?

That’s a fair haul… Hope it’s back on soon… & that you have a wood heater!!

How are you watching Netflix? We still can’t get consistent voice let alone data (I’m staying at my sisters now). Worst part is I’ve got thousands in seasonal fruit in freezers and they haven’t even started to fix it yet. I’ll only have to wait till next April to replace it .

On a tablet, hotspotting it from my wife’s phone. Mobile coverage is the one thing we have which works ok. Mercifully, that came back on mid-afternoon y/day.

1 Like

We’re still having problems with mobile data and voice calls are touch and go.

Think a lot east of Croydon will be without power for a while longer.
I did a loop to mum’s house yesterday in Mooroolbark and there were powerlines down on Carronvale, Taylors, Lancaster, Pembroke and Durham roads - about a 2km stretch. Going to presume Mount Ev and Wandin at least are worse. Mt Dandy Tourist Rd and Mountain Hwy were also closed for a while (and might still be).
We had a fatal car crash down the road in Croydon last night as well around 8:30pm

Yarra Glen is basically submerged and isolated from Chirnside/Lilydale unless you go via Healesville or Kinglake.
This is 1) the road into Yarra Glen 2) the footy ground 3 onwards) some of the Mooroolbark powerlines

May be an image of body of water, nature and tree

No description available.

No description available.

2 Likes

This morning I ran into a tree lopper who was hard at work at 7am, he said that Mt Evelyn was like a bomb site and they didn’t expect to get power back there before Monday. Still trees down absolutely everywhere and everyone who knows how to use a chainsaw was booked solid.

4 Likes

I’m not surprised. This was comfortably the worst I’d seen Croydon - Kilsyth - Mooroolbark after a storm and there’s not nearly as much tree coverage as Mount Ev.
Before we lost power Wednesday the pictures of fallen trees were already popping up on facebok. iirc Clegg Road, Old Gippsland Rd and even Warby Hwy were all completely blocked off which doesn’t leave many options to get through.

The north end of the Dandenongs (Kalorama, Mt Ev) seems to have copped it worst.

No idea if everyone can view this Facebook post, but it shows many many farking big trees (FBT*) down along Mt Dandenong Tourist Road.

Near my house there is a line of destruction, like wind has come up one of the gully’s and turned into a whirlwind, and knocked over everything in its path.

Interestingly all the knocked over trees were alive, the dead ones right next to them are still upright. I guess the leaves added extra sail area than made them vulnerable.

*trademark

2 Likes

Where was the fatal crash? I was shocked that key intersections on maroondah hwy didn’t have police directing traffic.

corner of eastfield and bayswater road.
I live about 800m away and reckon I heard it (loud crash that I thought was a tree then about 5 minutes later a stream of sirens)

1 Like

Gonna assume it was on Bayswater Rd (somewhere around Eastfield Rd). According to the traffic reports today it’s been closed all day.

Edit: see above.

Yeah they were diverting all traffic through the Sth Croydon mall shops until at least 2pm.
Was a bit of a ■■■■■■■■■■■.

My brother in law is in mount ev, they reckon every street in there area has a tree over powerlines. Carnage.

1 Like

Question: has anyone seen a tree down that wasn’t a gum tree?

Every single one I’ve seen in Croydon, Croydon North, Chirnside Park, Wonga Park has been a farking gum tree.

They’re lovely to look at, but by jesus they’re a hazard in residential areas when the wind gets up.

The house diagonally adjacent to us has a big basstard in the back corner. Sheds crap into our yard in the slightest of breezes and yet it barely dropped so much as a leaf on Wed night (I really was expecting the worst… strong SE winds had us right in its fall path…).

1 Like

The group looks private but this was tagged Kalorama.
Must be Mount Dandy Tourist Rd as it’s the only road up there with lines!

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/191613563_1818703724962287_3856948168632907435_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=KeCnfGJOhmcAX9g2-ol&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=4bfc9901daff6cabf18a8cef3db96e99&oe=60C92165

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/195407181_1818703698295623_8804949704070087543_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=kieYuFrB3bAAX_dfCQp&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=2089be67bafda5221b1b8af51505c9dc&oe=60C80DFE

4 Likes

What are those big things next to Croydon Gridiron club?

I lost about 3/4 of a 30 foot golden wattle directly outside the front door, fortunately it fell away from the house.

Gum trees are mostly the ones you seen fallen simply because most really big trees in this part of the world are gum trees. When a storm gets up, the really big trees suffer cos they can’t shelter behind anything else and because their trunks and branches are thicker and less flexible than smaller saplings, wattles etc. If you replaced every gum tree in greater melbourne with an oak or something, we’d be saying the same thing about them.

2 Likes

Dumb question - deciduous trees in winter - are they less likely to topple and only lose a few branches?
I live in a fairly windy area, depending which ways the wind is blowing, the streets can be like wind tunnels. When the elms and the oaks ( planted on the nature strips) have their leaves, branches often come off after a storm . But none over the last few days, despite howling winds.
PS I swear the wattles in the garden have been dancing

1 Like

Leaves covered in water is a lot of weight and sail area. Both put a tree under strain. So yeah, makes complete sense that bare branches do better in the wind.

2 Likes

Yes. Friends have a 100 year plus oak teee down. I have a variegated pittosporum that is down.

The gums are much taller though, so when they come down, there is more stuff in range to get damaged.

1 Like