Halloween

This mad for it?

We get smashed every year.

14 Likes

Paganisms paddock

12 Likes

Wow that is impressive. Driving through the inner west this arvo (williamstown to Yarraville), it is getting bigger every year. So many people out, lots of fun. Yarraville village shops always put on a good show, people everywhere.

Our street was busy but a place near us had the best effort Iā€™ve ever seen. A series of fences and plastic sheets to walk through a small maze, kind of like the haunted house at the Show. They had a kid dressed up as a crazy animal in a cage that jumped out at people to scare them as they walked through! Top marks there.

Well hello there. Would you like some candy, little boys and girls?

Muahahahahaaaaaa!

* thunder crashes in background *

2 Likes

Had about 400 kids treating tonight. About 1/3 of the houses in my street participate. We had 180 bags made up - gone. A box of 100 mini choc bars - gone. 2 large bags of lollies - gone. Its a fun event.

3 Likes

I love it. Itā€™s my birthday (every year) so bring it ion.

5 Likes

This is the first year we have done it with the kids 3and 6. We didnt decorate the house but the kids dressed up and we wemt a few blocks away where the entire street was decked out. I must say i enjoyed it way more than i thought and next year will do it again. Fantastic fun, light hearted and when an entire street gets in on the action is brilliant.

7 Likes

Well, its Halloween over here in Canada today. I get all the comments from back home about it being during daylight hours, and an ā€œimportedā€ tradition. I never used to experience it as a kid growing up- the only exposure was the old Charlie Brown cartoons every year, or the various US tv shows. But living over here, it does make sense. Cool crisp fall nights, Dark by 6pm easy. And people go ballistic for it. We have 3 girls - all teenagers and older now- but they managed to enjoy it over here. When we did live in Gisborne- and they were younger- we were initially one of the few families that put out Pumpkins and decorated the place up, ( this is back in the period 2004-2017). but by the end of our time there, it was suddenly a big deal.
Iā€™ll try to get a video of tonightā€™s wanderings round the block an post it .
cheers

4 Likes

Still big here in the UK but seems not as much this year. A few houses decorated, but muted and lots of police warnings about letting kiddies out on the street unaccompanied. Seems strange to have it in the Southern Hemisphere, because didnā€™t it start as an autumn harvest festival? As far as I remember in Melbourne this time of year thereā€™s no harvest and no autumn! If Thanksgiving starts to creep in Iā€™m outta here!

I think people going OTT with their displays deters others from putting up lessor displays. You just canā€™t have a carved pumpkin anymore, to get a second look, you now need a graveyard and ghouls

Lots of kids around our area. I went for a wander with ours and itā€™s good fun. The kids have a great time and the parents have a chat and a laugh.

4 Likes

The reanimated corpses patrolling the boundary may deter a few kids too. You take your recycling just too damn far.

Growing in popularity in Preston. Plenty of houses to go to (need to know the best streets) and quite a few kids around.
Not as big as what others had posted, all done within 90 minutes, kids had a great time.

I hope youā€™re not disrespecting my self-propelled fertiliser distribution system hereā€¦

2 Likes

When kids were in primary school there was always one street near the school which had a high proportion of similarly aged kids that went all out. Parents just hanging out having a drink and chatting while kids went bananas up and down the street. Prep kids with parents in tow, grade 6 kids hunting chocolate in packs of wild animals.

Certainly much bigger than when I was a kid. And now we can roll into Dia de los Muertos as well.

1 Like

Ever seen a fully grown North American man at Halloween? Being in an expat community o/s and seeing the level of seriousness they put into it each year is hilarious.

Our kids and the neighbours did it for the past ten years or so and we usually hung an orange cauldron near the front gate to say OK for trick or treat
This year our youngest says ā€œno Iā€™m not doing Halloween this year & neither are my school matesā€ and we didnā€™t put anything out TBH we forgot about it

The result : front path near our door got egged!!
Wasnā€™t a bad shot either as weā€™re on an acre block and house is set way back from the street
According to local neighbourhood FB page was a coupla older kids from out of the area and if they got knocked back for treats theyā€™d come back and egg the house

1 Like

We certainly donā€™t get really into Halloween ourselves (find it to be a very American tradition) but were pleased when our 11 year old said he wanted to go trick or treating with a couple of mates last night. Most of the time they just want to spend time on screens with their friends, rather than actually be with them in person.

I was pretty surprised when he came home saying that some houses were giving away slushies and sausages in breadā€¦ thought that was pretty next level. Growing up we were taught not to talk to strangers, only engage with safety houses etcā€¦ now we willingly allow our kids to take ā– ā– ā– ā–  food from strangers and ask no questionsā€¦ weird.

and I must laugh at @wasaharvsfanasakid egging misfortune comment aboveā€¦ I did warn our young fella before he went out so hoping it wasnā€™t him!!!

1 Like

Hopefully the cost of eggs sees them running at a net loss.

Itā€™s only as odd as having Easter in Autumn and Christmas in Summer!