Health & Fitness

Well with the birth of a new board I thought I’d get this thread in the right section lol.

To redo intros;

Name is Graham, 24, played a lot of sport as a youngling, took up powerlifting a couple of years ago and after a couple of injury set backs have got myself to a 135kg competition squat, 77.5kg competition bench and 200kg competition deadlift in the 75kg weight class.

Currently living/staying in San Diego training under AJ Roberts (formerly of Westside Barbell) to learn about the Conjugate training system. Am also helping him conduct powerlifting courses for Crossfit.com.

I’m also training for my first multiply meet in November in Sacramento where I’m aiming for a 225kg + squat, 140kg + bench press and 225kg + deadlift.

My current training split/template is:

Monday pm - speed bench

Tuesday pm - max effort squat

Thursday pm - max effort bench

Saturday am - speed squat

Here is some footage of my last training session (I’m the first up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyWe9cfDzRk

Evan, 27, 75kg and do about 80/90/60 for squat/DL/bench after moving and changing gym 4 times in 3 years and missing months each time

I go to a gym I’m pretty sure I’ll have to play dodgeball to save, when the globogym opens across the way

Dylan, 24, can weigh anywhere from 61-73kgs depending on what I’m told to weigh! Train BJJ every day I can, most days double sessions and sometimes 6am as well. thow in some MMA and Muay Thai too, but man hugging is where it’s at.

Never really done 1RM, but but for reps: squats 105, dead 130, bench 72.5. I don’t think bench EVER goes up lol

Actually trying to change programs but haven’t found anything that suits. Still want to do heavy lifts but want to work more explosion as well. Difficult part is trying not to do TOO much.

Eastie is that bench right?? Going to double it before November?

1) That competition bench was done in 2011 lol

2) I'll be using a bench shirt so yes will double it. I benched 126ish (stupid Americans and their pounds) to a 2-board the other week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZPgcESB8ls

My raw bench (out of the shirt) is probably 85-90 at the moment

AJ says as a rule of thumb a 140 raw bench will get you 220 in a shirt, 180 raw = 260 shirted, 220 raw = 320 shirted and so forth (provided your technique is sound)

I've been doing a little bit of programming for Kipfitters using the Conjugate system and the same principles will work for MMA (just take out the WODs).

If you like I can give you a 12 week training cycle if you can give me a max in the box squat, floor press (safer on your own than bench lol), when you can train and what equipment you will have access to.

I like meat.

I like meat enough that over the past eighteen months I’ve transitioned from consumer/enthusiast to home manufacturer. It started off small, a little sausage making, to last weekend, where I sampled (extensively) my first batch of bacon. You read that correctly, home made bacon. I’m now planning to ‘get to know’ my local wholesale butcher.

Oh yeah, I lift the odd weight and run a fair bit. Meathead.

Worst thread ever.

How to be a hard ■■■■■■■?

Get stabbed 3 weeks before a comp, lose 30kg bodyweight and still bench 272.5kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz8Ucpq1CCM

25, 82 kg's, started strength/weights training about six months ago for the first time in my life from a reasonably low level of fitness/strength due to a pretty ordinary few years of injuries.... two acl's, o-p and left ac joint and a host more. was originally to lose weight in conjunction with a HPLC diet, after getting mildly lean i've worked on getting stronger, but as much as possible as you can with only getting a chance to train properly twice a week. i miss playing sport, not having it in my routine over the past few years has hurt and was beginning to feel real sluggish as a result, but getting on the weights has been an absolute breath of fresh air

i generally do a full body circuit of seven core exercises to work each muscle group with my cousin who is a PT, aiming for three sets of 8 (10 on squats) before adding weight and moving up. currently squatting 102kg for reps, 120 DL and 60 on the bench. progressing slowly on the upper body, but i've worked real hard on the lower body to compensate for having a grand total of 0 acl's. love squats for whatever reason, looking to get more serious about it next year, see where the road leads. i couldn't squat a 20kg bar onto a box 6 months ago, so pretty proud of how i've progressed

i've added in a saturday morning session at work over the last few weeks, the occasional conditioning session too.... which is alot less structured of course but will hopefully help me during the week

You'd have to be out of your Vulkan mind to stab that c*nt.

Apparently he told someone at the meet the guy who stabbed him "was taken care of"

:wacko:

Good work Nandoz. When Emma first came to me she couldn't perform a bodyweight squat, 2 years of consistent training later she now squats 137.5kg and holds 5 national powerlifting records (admittedly she didn't have to beat much but she still has them!)

As long as you are consisten and follow sound training principles you will make progress!

I came into this thread thinking it was about Rugby.

Apparently he told someone at the meet the guy who stabbed him "was taken care of"

:wacko:

Good work Nandoz. When Emma first came to me she couldn't perform a bodyweight squat, 2 years of consistent training later she now squats 137.5kg and holds 5 national powerlifting records (admittedly she didn't have to beat much but she still has them!)

As long as you are consisten and follow sound training principles you will make progress!

wow, that impressive, and at the same time very emasculating!

cheers, looking forward to hopefully getting serious about it perhaps next year, time permitting but all about consistency as you say. will keep you updated on progress and hopefully pick up some tips along the way from resident pros!

at the moment, my two training sessions are generally between 6:00 and 6:30, which is all i can really fit in during the week on a monday and thursday night, generally pretty knackered after a days work! do you find you get more out of yourself in the am or pm hours? should i get a good feed of carbs in a few hours beforehand?

Before I went o/s I switched from training at 6pm in my garage to 6am at a gym an hour away.

MUCH prefered the mornings, but I think it comes down to personal preference.

When I wasn't working I was 'naturally' training at about 3.30pm by the time I had gotten up then had breakfast and lunch etc so in a perfect world as a full time athlete that would be when I would train. However, in powerlifting our comps normally start around 11 and can go as late as 9 so as far as that goes it might be worth training at different times for different lifts! (eg squat day @ 11am, bench day @ 2pm, deadlifts at 5pm)

Not exactly a feasible plan lol

As for carbs, I think this was raised on the old board before it died?

Basically try out different timing and portion sizes to find what works best for you.

Personally I never liked having carbs within 4-5 hours of training as I felt I "came down" off them, would drink coke, red bull and eat lollies DURING the training session though to help bump up and maintain energy levels.

When I switched to morning sessions I was eating about 500g of ice cream and up to a dozen choc chip cookies the night before training then have a red bull on the car on the way to the gym which seemed to work well.

I probably wouldn't recommend eating like that if you're trying to lose weight though lol

1) That competition bench was done in 2011 lol

2) I'll be using a bench shirt so yes will double it. I benched 126ish (stupid Americans and their pounds) to a 2-board the other week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZPgcESB8ls

My raw bench (out of the shirt) is probably 85-90 at the moment

AJ says as a rule of thumb a 140 raw bench will get you 220 in a shirt, 180 raw = 260 shirted, 220 raw = 320 shirted and so forth (provided your technique is sound)

I've been doing a little bit of programming for Kipfitters using the Conjugate system and the same principles will work for MMA (just take out the WODs).

If you like I can give you a 12 week training cycle if you can give me a max in the box squat, floor press (safer on your own than bench lol), when you can train and what equipment you will have access to.

That'd be sweet. 

I've never really done much box squats. I started doing them but got a bit bored and went back to regular squats lol. Never done floor presses either!

I currently try and train 3 days a week (friday, tuesday and sunday) and have access to a variety of equipment. Squat racks, barbells, kettlebells, rowers, bench, and all basic gym equipment. My housemate also has a prowler but we haven't brought it out in the winter and probably won't until summer. Unfortunately it lives in his car so can't go myself! 

At the moment I'm training either deadlifts or squats as the big lift per session and them some assistance exercises. My core is the weak point in the squat so working that as hard as possible at the moment.  

Has  anyone had spirulina before? A guy I train with gave me some cheap because he ordered bulk. It's ridiculously nutritious and has something ridiculous like 65g or protein per 100g, but it tastes like ■■■■. ■■■■ right in your mouth.  

And if anyone needs to learn how to drain cauliflower ear let me know. Getting 70 units per drain these days, needle in and out and ear back to normal in minutes. ■■■■■■■ pro.

Why do you say your core is the weakest point in your squat?

*cue squat problem solving* lol

Upper body tilting forwards on the way up. Kind of like a good morning.

could be 1 or many of

- lack of tightness (basically the strength and mobility is there but your body just doesn't know what to do!)

- poor mobility. i'd say this was the case if you were rounding before you got to the bottom, but seeing as it is only on the way up and you do BJJ I'm tipping it is not the problem

- lack of ab strength

- lack of mid/upper back strength

- lack of hip/glute strength (causing you to compensate by going into a position where you can sort of "muscle" the weight up as opposed to squatting it up)

- **** technique (which will be due to one of the above mentioned; basically if you don't have the mobility or strength to perform an exercise no matter how much you try you'll never be able to do it correctly!). and by **** technique I mean poor weight distribution through your feet, poor upper body position etc. things that you probably won't be able to feel yourself doing wrong, but you are

*edit*

if anyone is looking for a sled they can take to a commercial gym these are available in Australia somewhere

imo it's genius

http://www.roguefitness.com/magic-carpet-sleds.php

YT, if you pm/fb me your email I'll email all my files to you, but for anyone interested this is the layout of the training system I'm going to give to him.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. When I get back home and open up my gym I'll be posting articles on my website and the cleaner/more comprehensive I can get them the better.

Basically it is a 4 day upper/lower template that he can do 3 days a week (the last day will just carryover into the next week)

Without further ado here is the training template (I will further explain anything that normally needs explaining)

When reading anything that is B1, B2 is a superset. I will post a list of sample exercise for each category down the bottom of the page

Max Effort Lower
A. main movement 1rm
B1. low back 4 sets 8-15 reps
B2. glutes 4 sets 8-15 reps
C1. vertical row 4 sets 8-15 reps
C2. abs 4 sets 8-15 reps
D. conditioning medley 5-15 minutes work
Max Effort Upper
A. main movement 1rm
B. chest 2 sets 15-25 reps
C1. heavy triceps 3 sets 6-10 reps
C2. upper back 3 sets 8-15 reps
D. light lats 4 sets 8-15 reps
E1. side delt raises 3 sets 10-15 reps
E2. hammer curls 3 sets 10-15 reps
Dynamic Effort Lower
A. box squat
1) 8 x 2 x 50% straight weight + 25% band/chain weight (or 75% straight weight only)
2) 8 x 2 x 55% straight weight + 25% band/chain weight (or 80% straight weight only)
3) 6 x 2 x 60% straight weight + 25% band/chain weight (or 85% straight weight only)
B. jump/throw 10 sets 1-3 reps depending on variation
C1. hamstrings (hip extension) 4 sets 8-12 reps
C2. hips 4 sets 10-20 reps
D1. quads (lunges and single leg squats) 4 sets 6-12 reps
D2. abs 4 sets 8-15 reps
Dynamic Effort Upper
A. bench press 3 sets 3 reps 3 grips 40% straight weight + 25% band/chain weight (or 65% straight weight only) OR throw 9 sets 1-3 reps (for older athletes or ones with shoulder problems)
B. heavy shoulders 3 sets 5-10 reps
C1. chest 3 sets 8-15 reps
C2. light triceps 3 sets 15-25 reps
D1. heavy lats 4 sets 8-12 reps
D2. upper back 4 sets 10-15 reps
E. hammer curls 3 sets 10-15 reps
F. conditioning medley 5-15 minutes work

Now onto the typical questions

1) what the f*(& is chain weight and straight weight? Basically straight weight is the bar, and the plates on it, chain weight (or band weight) is any extra resistance provided by chains/bands. see the below video on how to set up chains and bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNJgF6dOBbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZzDLdearlc

2) what's the deal with 3 x 3 x 3 bench? basically, your first 3 sets will be done with a grip that sets your index finger a thumb length from the smooth part of the bar (close grip), your next 3 sets will be done with a grip that sets your pinky finger on the ring of the bar (medium grip) and the final 3 sets will be done with a grip that sets your index finger on the rings of the bar (wide grip)! All up it is 9 sets of 3. If you know your max with each grip then you can take 40% of those 3 maxes, otherwise just use the same weight for all 9 sets.

3) percentages on dynamic effort days. these are a guideline ONLY. the purpose is to move the weight quickly. each rep should take no more than a second to complete and should NOT slow at any point. This video provides a good example at the pace (of both reps AND rest periods) you should be aiming for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPIu5MlXSmA

4) do I rotate exercises on dynamic effort day? YES

for lower body use the same squat variation for 3 weeks, on the 4th week start again with a DIFFERENT variation

for lower body

for upper body change the bench press variation WEEKLY (yes, every week).

apart from variations in exercises (which I will outline in when I cover the main movement on max effort day) you can rotate between band tension (though I would use this sparingly as it can beat up the joints), chain weight and straight weight eg cycle 1 = straight weight, cycle 2 = chains, cycle 3 = bands etc etc etc (I personally NEVER use straight weight only and alternate between bands and chains but it is up to you)

5) what is a "throw"? this is essentially just an alternative explosive upper body movement to replace speed bench if you've had shoulder problems OR just as an alternative to speed bench in general! (you might get bored like me lol). A good example of a variation is kneeling med ball throws as per this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnsF2mNuK8M

6) how often do I change assistance exercises? as often as you need. I like to pick 1, start with the highest rep range then keep adding weight every week until I don't get all 3 sets at the lowest rep range. I then pick a new exercise and start all over. When coming back to old exercises start with the heaviest weight you could do the highest rep range for (you probably WON'T get all the reps the first week but don't worry - add weight anyway)

7) what do I do for conditioning? Really, anything you want as long as you bust your ■■■. It can be hill sprints, belt a tire with a sledgehammer. get creative and make it fun! (well as fun as possible for "cardio" lol)

8) how long should I rest between sets? on max effort exercises up to 3 minutes, dynamic effort and assistance 45-60 seconds

9) how do I prepare for each training sessions? I work on the MMM principle: move, mash and mobilise.

move - full body, bodyweight movements, sled dragging (if you have one) designed to raise core temperature and get blood flowing throughout the body. You should be aiming to raise a sweat after about 2 minutes and move on from there

mash - this is designed to realise tight muscle tissue or "knots" if you don't have a foam roller or lacrosse ball I cannot highly enough recommend them. basically find a tight spot, roll over it and enjoy the pain! i would work over 3 or 4 spots and roll 20-30 times over each

mobilise - designed to increase dynamic range of motion, and activate specific muscle groups. I like using "static" band stretches (YouTube band hip mobility and band should mobility) before moving onto more movement based exercises like shoulder circles, multi-directional lunges, band good mornings etc basically anything that will increase ROM through the joints you will be using for the training session. for activation target the glutes, abs and rotator cuff muscles.

All up once you have a set routine you should be able to get the warm up done in under 20 minutes

Ok that is the "easy" part of the training system. Now for the "hard" (more the one that everyone seems to mess up) part of the system - maximum effort days.

Essentially the guidelines are

- pick an exercise

- work up to a 1 rep max

- pick a new exercise the next week

- pick 3 or 4 "staple" exercises that you test every 8-12 weeks to ensure you are progressing

common questions asked are:

1) how do I get to my 1RM? well, when you haven't done an exercise before, I suggest taking small jumps until you do a single that is about a 9/10 difficulty OR if your technique breaks down (a big no-no) then stop there.

if you know your 1RM you can select a weight you want to hit (normally 5kg over on lower body exercises and 2.5kg on upper body) and use the following % as a guideline

a few sets of 5 with the bar to feel the "groove" of the exercise, then do sets of 3 up until - 50% x 3, 65% x 1, 75% x 1, 85% x 1, 92.5% x 1, 100% x 1

2) how do i select my main movement? I follow (as a powerlifter) the following rotation/s for each day

max effort lower: week 1 - squat week 2 - wide stance deadlift or good morning 3 - close stance deadlift or good morning

max effort upper: week 1 - full range of motion bench press week 2 - partial bench press week 3 - "future method" bench press (basically set up bands from the TOP of the rack so they deload weight at the bottom) week 4 - shirt practice/technique

as an athlete or general trainee you should NOT be bound to the powerlifts as I am. with this in mind i would recommend following this rotation

max effort lower: week 1 - squat week 2 - deadlift

max effort upper: week 1 - bench press week 2 - overhead press week 3 - pull up/row

NOW, how do you select a squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press or pull ups?

I won't list every variation or I'd be here typing for a week, and you would be reading for a day, so I will list the possible variations you can make within each, then you just have to combine them to form new exercises

for squats you can vary - bar position (back squat, front squat, zercher squat), box or free squat, box height (below parallel, parallel, above parallel), box surface (hard or soft), stance (close or wide), foot elevation (heel raised, flat, toe raised). you can also add bands or chains or hook bands to the top of the power rack to deload

deadlift - stance (close or wide), bar height (stand on a 5cm box/plate, stand on a 10cm box/plate, elevate the plates on 5, 10 or 15cm mats/plates, elevate the bar on pins inside a power rack to 5, 10 or 15cm). again, bands, chains and deloaded bands are also an option

bench press - grip (close, medium or wide - we also do super wide grip for a 5 or 6 rep max), pressing surface (flat bench, incline bench or floor press), you can also do any combination of these off of pins inside a power rack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Bs71Z2aL4 you can also add fat grips to the bar (about $20). band and chain variations apply as per squat and deadlift!

overhead press - grip (same as bench), push press, standing/seated, off of pins at different heights as per bench press, i would also include steep (60 degree or more) incline presses in this category (these can also be done off pins)

pull ups - hand direction (forwards, backwards, angled in, parallel), hand placement (close, wide) grip object (gymnastics rings, towel, rope). you can also use bands and chains for these exercises too. as you are slightly more limited with variation here I would also include DB rows and BB rows for a max set of 5-6 reps

Soooo what does everyone think? Confused yet lol

*edit*

forgot the assistance exercise list:

Upper Body
Chest - db bench, push ups, dips, db bench press
Shoulders (heavy) - steep incline bench, seated overhead press, standing overhead press
Shoulders (light) - straight arm db lateral, bent arm db lateral, db overhead press (seated or standing)
Triceps (heavy) - jm press, tate press (flat or incline), rolling db extension
Triceps (light) - band pressdowns, cable pressdowns
Lats (heavy) - db rows, bb rows, rows on belt squat
Lats (light) - seated cable rows, inverted rows, seated band rows
Upper Back - cable face pulls, band face pulls, db shrugs, bb shrugs, rear delt raises
Biceps - hammer curls
Lower Body
Quads - close stance belt squat, close stance free squats, lunges, split squats step ups, backwards sled drags
Hamstrings - band leg curls, band good mornings, glute ham raise, upright sled drags
Glutes - glute raises, kb swings, band pull through, cable pull through, glute press, hip thruster
Hips - X band walks, band abductions, sideways sled drags, machine abductions, lateral lunges
Low Back - back raise, sled good mornings, bb good mornings, reverse hyper
Lats - pull ups, lat pulldowns
Abs - leg raises, band ab pulldowns, cable ab pulldowns, pallov press, band side bends, decline sit ups