Heppell, Merrett or McGrath 2023?

Here are the 7 characteristics we should be looking out for and the question is which player meets these:

#1 – Extreme doggedness and focus in competition.
#2 – Aggressive play that tests the limits of the rules.
#3 – A willingness to do thankless jobs in the shadows.
#4 – A low-key, practical, and democratic communication style.
#5 – Motivates others with passionate nonverbal displays.
#6 – Strong convictions and the courage to stand apart.
#7 – Ironclad emotional control.

I don’t know if we have anyone who fits all those characteristics but I do know that being an introvert or not being the best player on the the team is fine.

I haven’t been able to log on for a while, but there is one player I have always struggled with and that is Langford. Yes, he’s a nice guy and respected by everyone, but I find him one of our most underwhelming players for his size and experience on our list. He has been this way basically his whole career. He has the size and attributes we have been desperately in need of for ever, but lacks the tenacity, doggedness, aggression, courage and passion that Reddog brings week in week out. Yes, he’s important structurally if he plays well, but I find him a constant disappointment when it comes to effort, and that is the one thing I believe, is all we are after as supporters. When I hear people saying he is in our best 3-4 players, or worse yet, suggest he be vice captain, I am genuinely scratching my head wondering if I have him completely wrong.

1 Like

Oh dear

1 Like

I say this all as a former Langford hater. I am converted. Langers behind the scenes is one of the few that drives standards, mentors the kids & carry’s himself like a true professional. Martin, Hobbs, Cox, Perkins etc have all said Kyle was the first to have taken them under his wing. Has been a few posts on here where grilled blokes for not adhering to team first standards, sprayed Shiel in front of everyone for interrupting a team meeting and is a bit of an on field coach when it comes to system and on field messaging.

I agree Langers is laconic and doesnt necessarily play with intensity, but behind the scenes he is absolute glue for our list. The talk of him in a leadership position isn’t based on 2 hours on Saturdays, but everything else he does throughout the week.

4 Likes

Merrett to captain from 2023 to 2026, before handing the reigns over to Ben Hobbs in 2027.

Hobbs will be 24 in 2027 and will go on to captain the club for 8 seasons, 3 premierships and entrenched in Bombers history.

OK, I can accept he is a much greater leader and club person than I realised and I like him, but I just wished he was a bit meaner and quicker or desperate on the field.

Actually, I’m probably old school, but I was hoping for a coach with real aggression after Worsfold as well. I don’t know what I think of Rutten yet, but with our list, someone like Clarkson who demands and inspires effort. I suppose we’ll see.

1 Like

You do understand it’s a turn of phrase and not meant to be taken literally. It’s actually exactly what you went on to describe. I’ll be mindful to dial back the hyperbole in the future.

Langford as captain. FMD our standards have plummeted.

How in Gods name did we get to this point.

Languid Langford is abut as inspiring a leader as Dougal from the Magic Roundabout

He won’t be captain. It’s either Zach or Andy. Maybe Co-captains.

Langers will be in the leadership group though.

1 Like

Langford is the type of player Clarko would put straight into a captain vice captain role i reckon after watching him operate

Nice list.

Interesting to note at Richmond Cotchin stepped aside(and I think he meets most of not all of your points) for Grimes.

Both players in their 30s. Don’t know a lot about Dylan Grimes.

Do you think age matters? I’ve lent towards a younger option but perhaps it’s the wrong angle.

Sad state of affairs when these are our 3 candidates…

Interesting side note. Hepp I think was a much better captain earlier in his career.

Was also when he was playing most games for us. Now he’s missing a few with injury each year.

Durability would be something that might need to go up the list. A captains not much good if he’s on the sidelines with niggles

And if that’s the case really it’s only Merrett.

Interesting that Merrett has done the post game on ground media 2 weeks running now and I love the way he has gone about it, hope he lands the captaincy.

1 Like

Yeah good shout. I hadn’t thought about it but it does sort of seem like it’s probably conditioning.

alot of essendon fans still like to live in this utopian fairytale where their favourite players get success, instead of the gloomy pragmatic real world.

they then also somehow think that next year the club will just magically grow a set of balls and drop heppell if he’s underperforming, because there’s so much evidence of them doing it prior right ?

we were 2-10 odd this year and they hadn’t dropped him, what makes people think if they keep him around next year, they will drop him then when the heat is on the season to perform ?

it’s only since the bye where they didn’t drop him but moved him elsewhere that the team has started to play better. 3 wins since the bye, 2 now against top 8 sides have come while he’s not in the backline. the only loss to the bottom side was when he was in the backline.

we have how many ■■■■■■■ midfielders already who are spending WAY too much time in the forwardline cos they can’t actually grow a set and make a tough call on hepp ?

but again some want to waste another year next year, and opportunities to develop younger players, simply so they can get a chance at a warm fuzzy good feeling thinking that the team may get successful and drag hepp along with them, neglecting the fact he will simply be one of the anchors that holds the club back/down because you know all good sporting organisations around the world are run primarily based on sentiment.

i thought zerrett didn’t want it?

mcg has that inspirational effort in him you see often, think he wants it badly because thats the sort of person he is

“Enjoy your trophies for winning nothing.”

1 Like

I reckon there could be some value in trying to get Phil Davis to the club next year in some capacity.

Could really help with leadership I reckon, he’s a calm and mature head who seems to value honest football and could teach our young list a lot.

Is hard to see him at GWS next year but maybe you could eek a season as an assistant coach who sometimes plays or runs around in the VFL.