Heppell, Merrett or McGrath 2023?

If Merret was ruthless in expecting standards why doesn’t the midfield have any?

Heppel hasn’t played there in years, I see no evidence of Merret leading anyone.

Yep, McGrath is probably not a midfielder, not a stoppage player, but remember his junior years ? He starred as a rebounding defender with dash. Some players just play much better with the ball in front of them and its not as hard on their bodies.
But that does not mean you cannot be a great captain even out of the “back pocket”.

Bomber thompson was a brilliant captain from same position

Zach will get it,with McGrath as his VC. I would go completely left field and try and trade in a play who would be captain and then transfer info an assistant coach the next year

Heppell should be finished up at the end of the season

Because Heppell is still captain.

I dont think its any surprise that when Zach stepped up last season and became pseduo captain that it was also our midfields best year for a long time in terms of pressure and contest at the ball.

Since being passed over for captaincy and struggling for injury again Hepp has had a more direct input and theyre lackadaisical again.

Also tough as nails, and didn’t need to be getting 30 touches a game to do his bit for the team.

We are so focussed on having the ‘best players’ as captain, rather than players who will do what the team needs them to do.

1 Like

Especially when after each draft we are told that the draftee was chosen for his leadership abilities.

How do co-captains generally work on gameday, do they alternate week by week or deliver alternating lines during speeches.

Hobbs please

Merrett is a good player. But geez he has no personality.

1 Like

Not sure if that sends the right message to the playing group.

Heppell is still a handy player and leader, and while it’s tempting to move him on, the fact is he isn’t a list clogger and he’s still way better than a lot of the shiny new players that have become blitz favorites. Captaincy is a burden and I’m not sure it would make anyone in our side a better player, losing the captaincy may free up Hepp though and we might see better footy from him if he can focus on his own game.

Merret is our best player, most valuable, by a mile. I don’t know if he wants to be captain, or if he’s a natural leader, but maybe he’s grown in that space in the last couple of years since he recommitted to the club. I wouldn’t complain if he was captain, but unless he wants it it’s a moot point. I did vote for him in the poll above.

I’m not sure what the fuss is about McGrath. To me he’s still just a potentially great player and and he’s just been pigeon-holed as a future captain because he’s a private school boy and #1 pick. Making him captain at this stage would be pure favoritism and an insult to half the blokes on the team.

3 Likes

What’s his position? There’s someone better than him in each and every position.

Tend to agree with all this.
IMO Heppell is still the best choice.

But that says more about the lack of options we have.

Merrett just doesn’t do the team orientated things for me. He hasn’t looked like ‘buying in’ to Rutten’s structures…. And he’s incredibly introverted.

He gets alot of the ball and uses it well (etc etc), but that just isn’t enough for me.

McGrath fits more imo, he could grow into the role. But that’s far from a certainty. He does a lot more of the team things, and is willing to do a job to benefit the team (and sacrifices his own game).

I like Langford as an option. I know people still have this misconception that he’s an average player. But he is every bit a captain in the making imo. He plays a team role. He coaches & instructs the players on the ground. He’s willing to take a big bump for a team mate, to buy him some space in congestion.

But yeah, I think Heppell is still our best option.

1 Like

I don’t mind that. He’s an incredibly hard worker and has respect around the club. Has a genuine care for the club and his teammates. I think the club is keen to keep the leadership group to a smaller number (can’t see it being larger than 5), not sure Peter fits into that but I’d certainly be all for it.

I would be shocked if Langford is not in the leadership group next year.

itll clearly be merrett. he’s literally the only option, im not that sold on it - but he’s 100% our next captain

3 Likes

I like the idea of player from 3 different sections of the ground, along with the Captain.
For example - Merrett Captain, McGrathVC, one of Redman/Ridley/Heppell back, Parish Middle, Wright Fwd.

DUNKLEY.

Who we make captain is arguably more important than the coach. Check out the captain class.

1 Like