Herald Sun thinks Zaka is a better Bomber than Smokin’ Joe

I like his call that Hurley was a Bomber fan as a kid. Well known that he was a St Kilda fan.

And I also liked his storeyed history. That really is taking the language to another level. Don’t these ■■■■■■ have Spellchecker turned on as a default…not AutoCorrect…that’s absolute rubbish.

3 Likes

I like how he merged Zaka’s two biggest career highlights, into one.

4 Likes

Absolute gun.

1 Like

Lists. They’re not easy.

2 Likes

I’d have Caracalla ahead of Zaka even.

Stanton shouldn’t be in there, although I liked him

Wellman should be a definite.

Tim Watson also

2 Likes

T Watson in a best of since 1990 list? Even Tim would blush at the thought.

2 Likes

Goddard is probably listed in the best 20 StKilda players.

1 Like

He put in 5 pretty ordinary games in his 6 finals.
From essentially the same era, Stanton, McPhee, Monfries and arguably NLM had better finals’ records from fewer attempts.

The one final Jobe played well in - 2014 - he went close to lifting us over the line.
It’s a fair point in my eyes.

Fletch at 7 is a head scratcher

2 Likes

Joe Misiti and Darren Bewick poor omissions, can only think they wanted more modern players in there to balance. MJ, Hardwick, Caracella and Wellman all good cases to argue for as well

1 Like

I would be interested in your combined bin chicken / Essendon team from that period.

When conversations drift into ‘best fullback/defender’ territory, you seldom hear D Fletcher’s name mentioned. Of course you will hear A Rance or M Scarlett and S Silvangni but only if they dig down a bit will they get to D Fletcher. I’ve even heard James Clement and S Hurn listed higher than D Fletcher. As good as those players were/are, they’re no D Fletcher.

3 Likes

Nup. Too hard. That’s a mental idea.

It comes down to Scarlett or Fletcher.
For mine, Rance had a period where he was pretty ordinary.
Wouldn’t have been in the top…say, five full backs in that year.
You could never say that about the other two.
I know who I think was better, but I’ll listen to the argument.

1 Like

You could make one hell of a team, a forward line of Lloyd, Lockett, Franklin, Lucas, O’Loughlin et al.

You’re captain of an AFL ‘All Star’ skins v shirts team and you’ve won the toss and get to pick first. Everyone since 1990 is fit, available and at their peak. You start at fullback and I bet you just chose D Fletcher. And if I was the opposing captain, outwardly I’d appear calm but inwardly I’d be kicking dust.

1 Like

im happy at @10

Who would get selected? Who would be left out? Too hard.

Weeeell, as I said, I’d be okay with Scarlett.
Presumably if there were four teams they’d be taking Rance and Silvagni and if I were one of Those teams I’d be spewin’.

1 Like

I did try to get a Blitz all-time draft up once.
Not many were interested.

2 Likes