Here's THE (finalised) TEAM vs Saints

Has anybody heard that Zerrett maybe touch and go to play?

Yeah, he is being replaced by Edwards. :*

pulled up sore in the calf late in training, maybe late out.

Hmm. I am supposing the coaches have told Edwards what he needs to do to get a game at AFL level, in a constructive way.

Meanwhile in the jungle they call the Blitz.

We like venison.

I think this is one year, irrespective of form, that ALL our indigeneous players should play in the dreamtime game.

Would be ■■■■■■ cool.

Long, Edwards, Stokes,Eades.

BRING EM ALL IN

So… They should get a game based on their race. There is a word for that.

Political correctness?

Sorry, too wordz

I’m just ■■■■■■ around tenaciousD.

Hmm. I am supposing the coaches have told Edwards what he needs to do to get a game at AFL level, in a constructive way.

Bambi was a list clogger.

People can't honestly say Edwards has had his chances at senior level? He played like 6/7 games and was sub for like 4 of those and showed way more than McKenna ever has at senior level.

That is just flat out wrong. Connor’s career averages are higher, and when you consider how many years they’ve both had in the system, much more impressive. They form at the VFL level also has the points going to Connor.

Edwards debuted in 2012, Connor last year. Connor has played AFL 5 games, Edwards 21.

Edwards has some talent, but he has not been able to put it on display any more than McKenna, and has had many many more chances to impress over 5 seasons in the AFL.

Edwards 21? Far out I thought it’d be half that. Actually I spose he played at GWS…

Whilst there’s no doubt that Edwards has a huge headstart, having been in the AFL system for 4/5 years and played the game all his life, compared to Connor’s 1.5 and 1.5 years respectively, I think CB’s point is accurate. Edwards has shown some real ability and things to work with at AFL level, some incredible marks and good goals, though it’s obviously about getting consistency and desire and effort from him. I think it’s pretty obvious to all and sundry that the ability is there, they are just trying to develop him on the other side of being an athlete.

I do think there’s a bit of a love affair with Connor though. Personally I think he would be better utilised as a midfielder than a forward but I’m just not sure he’s showing enough to hold his spot at the moment. I think people look at him and see his achievement of getting to where he is and focus on that more than what he’s actually showing on the field at this stage.

I imagine it’s about work ethic.

This polkinghorne thing has bthered me for weeks. Today I went out to the sea and meditated with a football on my head listening to tapes of woosha's press conferences and I have come up with this as the most logical theory, cancelling out all others.

He is the comic relief, woosha has him in the team purely for the chance he will kick a goal once a game and the commentator will have to say his name, just once. He is happy for a week in week out 4 possession a game from polkinghorne for just that one golden moment.

This has got to be the reason, as there is no possible other reason you would keep him in this team this long.

Points for effort. The beach on a day like this isn’t bad, but it’s not that good either.

But is that what beaches were made for ?

People can't honestly say Edwards has had his chances at senior level? He played like 6/7 games and was sub for like 4 of those and showed way more than McKenna ever has at senior level.

Played 9 last year. Started sub in two of them.

His effort vs the Hawks was just about the most listless effort I can remember from a EFC player.

Colyer comparisons are a MILE off. Edwards has a CAREER high of 21 possessions, next best effort is 18 (neither of these cases of leather poisoning happened in red and black either). Colyer averaged (slightly over) 18 in his debut season.

I hope I eat my words, but if Edwards played for Carlton we’d be lulzing our ■■■■■ off at his truck like efforts.

It's not a job. It's a hobby.

With a hobby like that, who has time for a job.

GOOSE STEP

Played 9 last year. Started sub in two of them.

That is just flat out wrong. Connor’s career averages are higher, and when you consider how many years they’ve both had in the system, much more impressive. They form at the VFL level also has the points going to Connor.

Edwards debuted in 2012, Connor last year. Connor has played AFL 5 games, Edwards 21.

Edwards has some talent, but he has not been able to put it on display any more than McKenna, and has had many many more chances to impress over 5 seasons in the AFL.

Edwards 21? Far out I thought it’d be half that. Actually I spose he played at GWS…

Whilst there’s no doubt that Edwards has a huge headstart, having been in the AFL system for 4/5 years and played the game all his life, compared to Connor’s 1.5 and 1.5 years respectively, I think CB’s point is accurate. Edwards has shown some real ability and things to work with at AFL level, some incredible marks and good goals, though it’s obviously about getting consistency and desire and effort from him. I think it’s pretty obvious to all and sundry that the ability is there, they are just trying to develop him on the other side of being an athlete.

I do think there’s a bit of a love affair with Connor though. Personally I think he would be better utilised as a midfielder than a forward but I’m just not sure he’s showing enough to hold his spot at the moment. I think people look at him and see his achievement of getting to where he is and focus on that more than what he’s actually showing on the field at this stage.

Edwards is 23 this December, McKenna turned 20 at the end of March.

If Edwards wants to get games at AFL level he needs to play good VFL footy consistently, and then do something at AFL levels more than you’d expect from a rookie. At the moment it doesn’t matter how many highlights he has had in snippets over the past 5 years, he needs to get some consistency and perform like the more senior player he is.

That he is being outperformed consistently at VFL level by McKenna is the reason McKenna is in the team ahead of him. And on performance in the AFL to date McKenna has been just as good too - better really, given the fact he has only played 5 games.

Guys on our list younger than Edwards:

Gleeson
Parish
Daniher
Zerrett

Francis
Fantasia
Ashby
Morgan
Redman
Langford
Laverde

Eades
Long
McKenna
Hams
Wallis
Nyuon

Guys just a few months older

Jerrett
Michael
Hartley
Tippa

All of the above bold players have demonstrated better form than Edwards at VFL and AFL level. If he wants to get a game he gets held to their standard, and doesn’t push in line ahead of any of them. Given players like Gleeson, Jerrett, and Ashby are in and out of the side, why should Edwards get a run just for the sake of it?

Guys like Redman and McKenna, who’ve played less than 10 games, might get a run now and then to taste the grade and see how they go, but sustained performance and form is the only thing that gets you a spot past that, and Edwards hasn’t demonstrated it to date.

It’s not a job. It’s a hobby.

How about we see if Edwards can back up his 28 touches from last week before we put a line through his career, has more upside than most on our list.

people are criticising laverde?

Sometimes I wonder if there are pages missing in a thread

Maybe you have too many posters on ignore. ?

Quoted so Riolio can see it. Maybe.

Ha. Yes but Mods cannot do their job if they ignore anyone, can they?

I don’t reckon Edwards has improved since his first year with GWS five seasons ago. He is lazy, shirks contests, and plays one-way football. I’d much rather get games into McKenna, and it seems the coaches do too. He’s already a better player despite his relative infancy in the game. And unlike Edwards, he shows a real desire to make it.