Home automation

Fair enough.

I used to sell the stuff. It’s overpriced in my opinion, and the opinion of most builders and developers.

And the cbus system is very poor technology.

So let's cut through the techno & cut to the chase.

I make of this that at some time in the near future I'll be able to hit an app on my iphone & a cold beer wil appear . . . . .

Fair enough.
I used to sell the stuff. It's overpriced in my opinion, and the opinion of most builders and developers.

Generally, IMO the builders who think its overpriced are the ones who don't know enough about it though.  

The sparkys and builders who have done the C-Bus courses or are verified installers are the ones who can talk people through putting it in a new home and having it priced to suit whatever their budget is.  Key to selling it is asking what people want it to do, then ask WHY they want it to do it.  As I said, generally its just cos their mate had it or they saw it on TV or saw it one the net.  You can usually sort out a package to suit someone if you put it in the old lamens terms.

Fair enough.
I used to sell the stuff. It's overpriced in my opinion, and the opinion of most builders and developers.

Generally, IMO the builders who think its overpriced are the ones who don't know enough about it though.
The sparkys and builders who have done the C-Bus courses or are verified installers are the ones who can talk people through putting it in a new home and having it priced to suit whatever their budget is. Key to selling it is asking what people want it to do, then ask WHY they want it to do it. As I said, generally its just cos their mate had it or they saw it on TV or saw it one the net. You can usually sort out a package to suit someone if you put it in the old lamens terms.

The sparkys and integrators who get trained by clipsal (cbus) are good at talking people into buying it? Surely not.
It's actually the opposite of what you are saying. Anybody who knows a lot about it, don't bother with it.

Fair enough.

Generally, IMO the builders who think its overpriced are the ones who don't know enough about it though.
The sparkys and builders who have done the C-Bus courses or are verified installers are the ones who can talk people through putting it in a new home and having it priced to suit whatever their budget is. Key to selling it is asking what people want it to do, then ask WHY they want it to do it. As I said, generally its just cos their mate had it or they saw it on TV or saw it one the net. You can usually sort out a package to suit someone if you put it in the old lamens terms.

The sparkys and integrators who get trained by clipsal (cbus) are good at talking people into buying it? Surely not.
It's actually the opposite of what you are saying. Anybody who knows a lot about it, don't bother with it.

Well in my 12 odd years and counting of selling it, thats how I've found it.   

So while it may be the way you're saying with the guys you've dealt with and where ever you are, where I am, and the guys I deal with, it's quite different.

Fair enough. Let’s agree to totally disagree.

And I had a feeling you either sold it or installed it :slight_smile:

Its all I've ever done.  Even did a job in PNG with it when I was there and that mob are as backward as it gets.

The old "like a final comment to finish a conversation". Works on Facebook, works on Blitz.

The old "like a final comment to finish a conversation". Works on Facebook, works on Blitz.

Unlike.

So what brand do you use/sell/install, Rocky?

And what sort of dollars would you be looking at, say 22 squares, lights, blinds, security, heating/AC presumably with iPad control? Could be Android, but I have iPad, and I suspect that since this costs money, there's no real point in putting it on Android.

So what brand do you use/sell/install, Rocky?

And what sort of dollars would you be looking at, say 22 squares, lights, blinds, security, heating/AC presumably with iPad control? Could be Android, but I have iPad, and I suspect that since this costs money, there's no real point in putting it on Android.

Dunno?  I was making it all up.

Seriously though, I'll have a look.

So i just started my home automation project.

Running ‘Home Assistant’ on a ODROID-N2+ box to handle it all. Massive amount of open source intergations.

Staying away from anything that is subscription based and not my own encrypted cloud storage.

Bought a Hikvision intercom and now get motion alerts when someone steps onto my property, as well as phone app being able to talk to people at front gate and even buzz them in. Have live video feed to phone or work PC anytime I want them.

Next project wil be to intergrate smart lighting and more alerts around the house I.e side gate has been opened and no-one is home.

1 Like

1 Like

We got a new heating/cooling system and it has an App called MyPlace which means we can adjust, turn on and off, heating and cooling from our phones. Starting to like it and now want more automation.

2 Likes

1 Like

Thats what I named my ‘home’ in Home Assistant.

Looking at having all Text to Speech commands in it’s voice.

I have no desire at all to have a home automation system, but at my house in the Otways I do have several smart switches. These cost $29.95 each from Harvey Norman. They turn on several heaters, which I can turn on via an app called Kasa on my iPhone, so that when I arrive on a cold and wet day (i.e. pretty much any day between about April and October) the house is already warm and comfortable.

We are on the way to building a new home and in a few months we will have our electrical appointment where we will have to decide on what smart features we want, along with security and intercom etc.

I’ve really got no idea what we need, but I’m concerned whatever we do get will be obsolete pretty quickly. Things like USB ports in powerpoints, or phone charging pads in kitchen bench tops.

Being able to adjust heating/cooling remotely would be useful. Also being able to turn off all lights in one go or independently/remotely from my phone.

I’d love to be able to turn off lights and exhaust fans etc that the Mrs and kids have left on without having to walk all around the house.

I imagine it’s pretty expensive though.

The more stuff I do with cyber security, the more Luddite I get.

Some of these gadgets are appallingly unsafe.

1 Like

What does that actually do for you, that a thermostat doesn’t?