Hopper and Kennedy-GWS

I heard this Jasper Pittard fella is a good prospect too…

Probably don’t want us unless it’s the money. Kennedy wants to stay but gets unders It all depends on kelly. Gws salary cap is busting at the seems. They have over 20 what would have been 1st round picks plus shaw mumford Lobb Wilson ward.

I’d take Jack Powell.

2nd round

No its not. They had to pay Patful to stay on their list to pay all their salary cap minimum this year. It’s an absolute joke up there.

Along with unlimited first rounders, they get more money to throw around and have to spend it.

They will keep Kelly if he wants to stay. Money isn’t an issue.

Kennedy is a great get and we should grab him with both hands.

Their salary cap is now the same as everyone elses.

2 Likes

But that’s kind of the point isn’t it? GWS have played it perfectly, and it’s not that bad for the other club because all these high draft picks eventually work their way back to other clubs for unders, plenty of examples already mentioned here

As for the salary cap being equal that’s true but players under the average salary or some other amount from time to time as determined by Gil and others will be paid a cost of living allowance directly by the afl. How much this is anybody guess.

1 Like

To list size yes.

Has it been reduced back to 44? If so ok.

They still have Joel Patful getting paid for nothing to meet minimum TPP. They are hardly stretched.
Steve Johnson will retire, Patful will go and they will delist and draft again.

GWS ain’t losing anyone to money. They would find Kelly cash. I think Hopper and Kennedy will go to find a Vic club and upto an extra 100k pay packet or longer contract.

If that is the case (and I’d love to see some evidence), then that just speaks to how well they’ve developed their culture and are managing their cap.

It’s definitely true. He had a option for another year on his contract but he retired and was delisted. They then took him in the rookie draft and are paying him to do SFA. They needed to do it to comply with TPP regulations

That sounds more like a Vossy situation, where it was because of front-loading that they have to do that. Which would indicate their cap is tight. It would make sense, get Patful, paying him more before the kids hit their straps (and when they had more in the cap), and less near the end. But if he retires early and you’ve done that, you take a hit if you don’t keep him on the list. So bring him back as a rookie.

As I said, that sounds more like their cap is tight than they have room.

3 Likes

I suppose any clubs cap is tight if an offer is just too large.

It’s poor list management say if you have plenty of players who can play Kelly’s role to pay him overs.

He’s not their marquee player though. Many gws fans are oblivious, he’s just another midfielder. They would more notice if Cameron, Mumford or Ward walked.(prob Toby Greene as well).

So they will prob let him leave for a massive contract even if they can match.

A ‘Buddy’ opportunity comes up for GWS and they will grab it with two hands.

I think for example WC could have Kelly tomorrow if they sent Natanui to the Giants. And gws would have a fire sale to make room for him.

Correct me if im wrong regarding patfull. He was listed as a rookie who was retired and any payment he received was exempt from the tpp. Basically he was there as no. 44 on their list. My point being don’t believe everything you read especially if comes from the afl. Example average wage on primary list $ 371000 for 2017. That puts every club over a million over their cap.

I’m 3rd generation bomber on both sides of my family. U keep pushing y gws will keep them?

They generally include the ASA in their average salaries, which is ~$1m per club.

1 Like

I’ve included the 1.05 million Asa but not the retirement funds which most would be compulsory super I presume.

The big difference with Hawthorn is they manage to have the players name them as their only destination.

1 Like

You might know more than me. On the topic I just know he is on their list, paid to essentially not play footy. If on the rookie list then that would be a separate bucket of funds to the senior list.

So yeah they must be close to capacity.

I’m sure someone will correct me, but i’m pretty sure every player that leaves their club nominates another as the only destination.
You just have to be that destination and you’ll work out a way to get the job done.

1 Like