House Hunting

Well there you go, I stand corrected.

Yeah, I'm not sure you do.

If my mum drove what my sister drives...I reckon there would have been talk.

Well there you go, I stand corrected.

Yeah, I'm not sure you do.

If my mum drove what my sister drives...I reckon there would have been talk.

She got a Jeep?

House now unconditional after two false starts with contracts falling through. Settles in 2 weeks. Happy friggin days!

What is Laverton like as an area? Not far from the city, seems to be value for money out there…

What is Laverton like as an area? Not far from the city, seems to be value for money out there...

Depends if you're one of those genetically modified bacteria they're trying to invent to eat up oil spills or not.

If you're one of them, it's lovely.

Uh, no. Maybe in a few years but now still no

First time bidding at auction yesterday. 1/1 strike rate! Had to fight off a last minute challenge from an investor which drove it up a few grand but got there in the end. Really interesting watching the body language of other bidders: absolutely gave away when they had hit their limit. We paid a little more than we wanted to but knew the rest had hit their limit too. Given this will be our family home for the next 20 years it’s well worth it. We get our Saturdays back too!

1 Like

First time bidding at auction yesterday. 1/1 strike rate! Had to fight off a last minute challenge from an investor which drove it up a few grand but got there in the end. Really interesting watching the body language of other bidders: absolutely gave away when they had hit their limit. We paid a little more than we wanted to but knew the rest had hit their limit too. Given this will be our family home for the next 20 years it's well worth it. We get our Saturdays back too!

Nice! Where did you end up buying?

First time bidding at auction yesterday. 1/1 strike rate! Had to fight off a last minute challenge from an investor which drove it up a few grand but got there in the end. Really interesting watching the body language of other bidders: absolutely gave away when they had hit their limit. We paid a little more than we wanted to but knew the rest had hit their limit too. Given this will be our family home for the next 20 years it's well worth it. We get our Saturdays back too!

Where's you buy?

Ended up in Vermont. Not where we started looking, but has good public schools for the kids. In-laws are building in Blackburn and they babysit twice a week. We are in Bentleigh now and the 45+ min drive is a killer. Sis in law also lives in Vermont and she is expecting her first. Good to have the family close by.

Another tip - if you know someone who is pregnant, take her along. My wife is 31 weeks and the investor stopped bidding after saying "You need it more than me". Glad I read that tactic in my research!

1 Like

Bump from way back.

Got an interesting one. Have sold our house with nowhere to move to. We are relying on houses popping up as tis the season. Now we’ve found one that suits our tick a box sheet. Here’s the rub though; it’s actually owned by friends we haven’t been in contact with for a few years. Our relationship is still on good terms just haven’t seen each other for a bit. It’s a weird one because she’s already got an agency involved for the sale.

We just figured to keep it civil we would go through the agent but don’t want to insult or conversely over spend. The agents a good bloke, I’ve known him for a while. I know the place and it’s awesome. I will literally make an off er when I walk in the door.

Again it’s the situation with our friends as we don’t want to offend, and we are reluctant to ask them directly what they want as they might feel we are pressuring them face to face.

Any tips on this dilemma would be appreciated, especially if you’ve been in a similar situation.

Find a property in the same area that sold recently thats similar to theirs. Ask them how they rate their property against it from there you will have some sort of price indication.

1 Like

You could get a buyers advocate to do it, and still tell them it’s you buying.

In this market where it’s cooling off, they might be willing to get a fair offer before auction tho.

Property prices will go down within the next year yeah? hold off? Don’t wanna buy soon and then watch it fall

1 Like

Probably not. Certainly not enough, with enough surety, to change your decision.

1 Like

I disagree with HAP. They’re going down. Possibly (probably) a significant decline, but at the very least they are going down. Wait and see. You have nothing to lose; if I’m wrong and the market starts to rise you can always pull the trigger then.

1 Like

Not sure tbh. I don’t think it’ll be quite that simple. Average house prices are already static but the average is misleading, different market segments are behaving differently. The cost of top-bracket toorak mansions etc has fallen, which has affected the average but this hasn’t been a uniform thing.

I would expect downward pressure on house prices from next year if the alp win the election and gut negative gearing as they’ve promised though.

2 Likes

Just go through the agents as you would any other house. I don’t think your friends would be offended if you just went through the agent and the agent alone, if anything they’d probably appreciate it. If you mention it to them they might feel you are trying to manipulate them or something. I’d just do everything as normal.

That’s what I’ve pretty much decided and our friends are cool with it. I got first offer in yesterday so it’s a bit out of my hands - if they knock its back I guess I’m in a position where they can just tell me outright.
Messy business the real estate game.

I’ve recently sold and have been looking at the market in a particular region for 12 months.
Prices and sales were skyrocketing 12 months ago.
Sales have slowed right down.
Prices are now dropping, especially noticeable on property’s that have been on the market over winter. 10 to 30k.
Im renting cheap, 5 minutes from work, so I’m in no rush.
I am in no way a real estate expert.
Real Estate agents and their representatives are some of the lowest members of society.

1 Like