How do we fix the forward line?

Get the ball in there quicker. By time we chip it around several times the opposition have flooded numbers back and it’s alway 1 on 2 or 3.

THIS

Recruit/play some actual farking forwards

Close thread

In: Redman

Tell the players to kick the ball toward the two big sticks up the end where JD stands.

Get some forwards who will offer leads and/or move to create space.

Get some midfielders who will move the pill quickly and can put the ball to their forwards advantage.

separation of forwards, always see joe crowding other talls.

Do the thing we were doing when we were consistently kicking winning scores back in 2013?
Stop making it all about Hird!
Get the ball in there quicker. By time we chip it around several times the opposition have flooded numbers back and it's alway 1 on 2 or 3.

To be fair I’ve seen a conscious effort from the playing group to do that. The problem is that they’re continually stuffing that up. Whether its a fumble or a poor kick into the 50 or trying to run away from opposition. They just cant get that super fast slingshot footy to work

Have a strategy (ie as noted above, lead to the ball, separate forwards etc etc)
If strategy cannot be managed by the players then play them in the VFL until they do understand.
No exceptions to the above.

get a coach who has actually PLAYED FORWARD for the majority of his career to coach them. Stop trying to make defenders into forward coaches.

Stop trying to turn defenders into forwards

Fix the goalkicking

Quicker ball movement

Play natural forwards. Edwards may not be a workhorse, but he is a natural forward.

Some actual movement by the forwards would help, instead of just standing there asking for the ball to be kicked on their head

Have a few guys that can actually create forward pressure and lay a tackle

Tonnes more, but i don’t have the energy.

Just do the opposite of everything we have been doing for the last 6ish years and we will be fine.

Get the ball in there quicker. By time we chip it around several times the opposition have flooded numbers back and it's alway 1 on 2 or 3.

This. I know the modern method is to not kick to a contest (but rather a free player to maintain possession). However, yesterday in the first half we had 180 disposal and 28 clangers. That is 1 clanger every 6 disposals.

So if we are going to cough the ball up every 6 possession anyway, we may as well boot it to a contest and hope our players wins it.

Having said that I notice we lost the contested game well and truly:
Contested possessions was 126:145
Contested marks was 9:19

Have a strategy (ie as noted above, lead to the ball, separate forwards etc etc) If strategy cannot be managed by the players then play them in the VFL until they do understand. No exceptions to the above.

How’s fielding a team of 5 blokes going to work?

Tell the players to kick the ball toward the two big sticks up the end where JD stands.

great idea for a new name for a stand at etihad!

We had a forward line issue with the 12 players playing with us, this should be no surprise to be the same or worse without them. I don’t think we can fix this. The midfield need to back themselves into a goal more. The midfield need to free themselves up more to have space. How the fark did Carlton do that so cleanly and so well, yet we struggle.

We were also too tall and slow down there. The burger and grimley are not a kennedy or nic nat type combo, moving them forward made things quite slow, though grimley made up for it a little bit. Need someone with size that can run.

Build a forward line around a group of forwards rather than one player. Probably should be about 15 in a list of 38
Develop structured running patterns that forwards should be following in both VFL and seniors… Train and train and train and train at the forward running patterns.
Anyone who doesnt follow the running patterns gets dropped to re-learn in the VFL
Keep some forwards, one or two, in the forward fifty instead of having the entire team forward of the forward fifty when the ball is down the other end.
Teach the small forwards to be front and centre when the ball is coming in. Dont do it, back to the VFL.

Structure and discipline. Over and over and over again.

When Hawthorn beat Sydney in the GF I think a couple of years ago it was like a training drill. I thought it was one of the most impressive displays I had ever seen. I cant imagine our team ever being that disciplined even in training.
There is no more satisfaction as a player in any sport when a well drilled plan comes together to get results. That’s where we need to be, so well drilled that it is like second nature. We are a long way from that.

AFL corruption won't let us fix it. Ever see anyone get held like Joe does? He'd kick 600 goals a year f he played for Hawks.

■■■■ Gil

OK I wanna talk about this holding of Joe. Granted I don’t watch as much non EFC footy as I should though I have seen a few more games this year. I do not see anyone hold anyone like Joe gets held each week. There were 2 different F50 entries yesterday, granted Joe was standing still but if the kick is a high rain maker he can hardly lead directly up in the air, and I accept that he’s probably leaning slightly into the defender, but the bloke just had two hands on him like someone would lovingly sneak up on someone and give them a hug from behind. How can you have two arms around someone’s stomach and it not be a hold? It’s ridiculous.

In: Redman

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Our problem is trying to find a foil for Daniher (not including the p!ss poor delivery into our 50). What we’ve been doing in pairing him up with a player that plays just like him, McKernan, Gimley. How many times did we see Daniher and Grimley lead to the same areas in the past two weeks, hell, they’ve been even following each other up the wing. They end up spoiling each other and no ones down for the crumb.

Over the years we’ve had a mid-sized forward when the forward line was working, whether it was Bewick, Hird, Barnard, Winderlich, even Monfries. I think the best foil is a mid sized forward, lead out and mark with skills on the ground. Redman maybe that bloke. He’ll take a 3rd or 4th back, if he makes a nuisance of himself, his backman may have to mind him rather than go for the spoil on Daniher. A lot to ask for a kid yet to play a game, but from what I’ve seen in the reserves, he’s exactly the player type we need atm.

REDMAN

AFL corruption won't let us fix it. Ever see anyone get held like Joe does? He'd kick 600 goals a year f he played for Hawks.

■■■■ Gil

OK I wanna talk about this holding of Joe. Granted I don’t watch as much non EFC footy as I should though I have seen a few more games this year. I do not see anyone hold anyone like Joe gets held each week. There were 2 different F50 entries yesterday, granted Joe was standing still but if the kick is a high rain maker he can hardly lead directly up in the air, and I accept that he’s probably leaning slightly into the defender, but the bloke just had two hands on him like someone would lovingly sneak up on someone and give them a hug from behind. How can you have two arms around someone’s stomach and it not be a hold? It’s ridiculous.

This ^. Joe must be the only player around who needs to take a pregnancy test after each game.

I brought the thing of Joe being held up a couple of weeks ago. Prevailing view was that umps let it happen to all forward targets now.