How do we fix the forward line?

In a team with Watson, Heppell, Zaharakis, Merrett, Myers, Hocking, Howlett, Stanton available, Parish and Fanta could easily be those small forwards we supposedly don't have.

Not only that but most of those guys can go forward, provide pressure and have showed examples of decent to good goal sense around the contest or ball in dispute. No, none of them are Eddie Betts but you don’t absolutely have to have a permanent stay at home small forward so long as you’re getting effective play out of mid rotations. IMO it’s exactly where you want the balance to go.

Parish and zerret are mids and will start there regardless of who returns next year.

That’s a problem alot of people aren’t seeing yet though.
Where do you play stanton ?
where do you play watson ?
heppell ?
coyler ?
Goddard?
Hocking ?
myers ?

and prolly a couple of others i’m missing. All are midfielders or want to play there. not all can fit in there.
who do you honestly think is gonna get first crack at starting mid next year ?

If zerrett and parish are in there great, but i’m betting unless injury restricts someone, they won’t be starting mid and will spend less than 50 % gametime in there, until the dust settles from the old guys returning.

which does nothing for the forwardline IMO because again we would be trying to force midfielders to play up there, instead of finding forwards who can cover in the midfield for short bursts.

There’s way too many essendon culture mistakes that have continued on this year, despite half the list gone from last year and new coaches, for me to say or feel confidence Zerrett and parish would be starting mids next year, above and beyond other “senior” players.

I just think parish and zerret both look like 2 of the best pure mids we have had in forever. They can both do everything and i have no problem with thrusting them right into the coal face with support and rotation from our senior players that they aren’t getting this year. The more games these guys play together in the midfield the better as far as I’m concerned.

Right now my starting 22 is something like:

Bags Hartley Francis
Tippa Hurley ???

Zaha hepp Fanta
Luey parish zerrett

Lav JD colyer
Jobe hooker ???

Stanton, Langford, ???, ???

Obviously there are a few holes there and a few names that it will be controversial to leave out but I think it is going to be tricky to find the right balance between our bigger slower players and the younger quicker ones.

Hepp comes back as our number 1 big bodied mid. He, parish and zerret are going to get on famously.

I have no issue with jobe playing more forward than mid and I think he will be a real weapon as a second string mid who shares his work with Langford. This will sound laughable but I think jobe can be an asset as a crumbing forward who will create goals for others as well as take his own marks and create awkward match ups.

Stanton is going to love the lower rotations and having gut running support from zerret, parish, fanta and a rejevunated zaha. I really think Stanton could be set for a massive year next year and I think he’ll slide pretty comfortably between a mid, half back, half forward role and he is going to be way down the list of people to tag. I really think he has plenty of good footy ahead of him and is being undersold around here.

I don’t see colyer as a full time mid and don’t think he has ever played that role but he, Fanta and lav will all swing between forward and on ball providing pace all over the ground. Lav is obviously a little different with his size and aerial ability but I still think he will fit in with these 2 in a rotation that will create awkward match ups for the opposition.

Where the uncertainty lies for me is how Myers, Hocking, bj, bird and howlett fit in. All are a bit one paced and Myers and Hocking in particular feel a bit one demensional.

Sure Myers may come back and absolutely demand a spot in the side ahead of Langford for example but I just don’t have that much faith in his body and with parish and zerret really establishing their cred as inside/outside players im not sure there is too much room for him along side hepp and jobe.

I certainly have room for one self sacrificing, gut busting, defensive, contested ball animal but not 3 so Hocking/howlett/bird will have an interesting preseason. Bird is the zippiest, howlett the most polished and Hocking the biggest animal so all have something to offer. It will be really interesting to see what happens.

Bj is obviously the most flexible and least defensive player of this group. For mine the challenge for him is to accept being a role player for the greater good of the team and one who plays within himself a bit more, fewer attempts at 60m laser punts, more honoring tippa’s run with a handball. Even so his leg speed is a worry for a team that will already have jobe, hepp, Stanton, and one of the defensive mids.

I’ve left the back flank open in that 22 and some would slot bj straight in their but I’m inclined to favor the extra run of Gleeson/pig/demps.

If you fill 3 of ???s with Hocking, bj, pig I think Myers misses and you play another young runner with a bit of toe. And that doesn’t even take into account the possibility of playing an extra tall like brown.

What is clear though is that the best sides can play at serious pace and our 2012 - 2015 drip slow midfield will get absolutely cut to ribbons. Just keep that in mind when wondering whether pushing up parish and zerret is a priority.

It is going to be one of the most interesting preseasons in recent memory.

Great post Ivan, but I would disagree on Bird/Howlett.

I think Howlett moves a little better than Bird, particularly laterally.

Quality of discussion in this thread just increased.

Great post Ivan, but I would disagree on Bird/Howlett.

I think Howlett moves a little better than Bird, particularly laterally.

Fair enough. I haven’t really watched bird play enough, my sense is he is faster in a straight line but howlett certainly has a step on him in traffic which I haven’t seen from bird

I know the Pick 1 predictions are a bit of a running joke around here but I think the potential blank spot at half back could absolutely be used to develop another elite mid to go with Heppell, Zerrett and Parish much like how Heppell’s first season was used. Going to need as many as we can get to compete with the best midfields in the comp.

I think at least on paper our midfield and defense look pretty good and are in good shape for a few seasons. That can only help develop our forward line.

Thread, forward or mid.

Sorry couldn’t resist.

Ha. I guess as we’ve all seen, you need your mids delivering well for a forward line to work. I’ll have a go at a fairly speculative best 22 which counts on Dodoro working some more magic in the off season.

B: Bags Hooker Francis (if he gets his body right)
HB: Tippa Hurley ? (Pick one developing mid maybe)

C: Zaha Heppell Zerrett
R: Leue Watson Parish

HF: Colyer Joe Lang
F: Lav ? (Big fish) Fanta

Int: Goddard Stanton Brown Hocking

That squeezes Pig, Hartley, Howlett, Bird and Myers out but those guys would get game time obviously. Also, the Redmans, Morgans and Eades may demand spots by then and hopefully they do because the immediate depth is starting to look same paced. Our later picks/trades may surprise too.

The thing I like about that balance is there are 4 guys forward who will rotate easily through the middle. There are also potentially guys on the back flanks who can spend time there and that’s where team cohesion is going to be a massive task with the players coming back to make best use of this flexibility. Brown can also give a chop out at either end.

As much as I want to go hard for more elite/potentially elite mids we do need to get hold of a developing tall even if we do snag a ready made forward. Hopefully Dodoro finds our next Hooker later in the draft if not earlier.

Might also add that Jerrett and Gleeson aren’t a lost cause IMO. Could be a late bloomer / stalled a bit. Who knows if Cooney wants another season or we offer him one. Long might come on next season too. Do we take Dea with a spare spot? Is McKernan going to be around? Edwards? Ambrose seems to be serviceable. Few questions around list management. I reckon we are on track to have a solid top 28-30 and by 2018/19 really shore up that next ten or so list spots that the best sides can reach into at will. Challenge will be getting the replacements for Watson, Stanton, Goddard and co.

Edit: Totally forgot about Bellchambers. If he can stay fit with his time off hopefully helping he’s a pretty handy back up ruckman.

Best 22 is going to be hard next year. Lots of spots up for grabs and some real quality vying for it.

I think for the first time in a while we will be able to pick a side to match our game style and to take advantage of weaknesses in the opposition.

The issue with some of our side will be pace vs strength around the contest. Do we play all of Watson, Myers, Hocking, Hepp in the midfield. Or do we mix it up with some pace too. Either way we won’t be getting beat up around the ball next year which will be nice.

When was the last time we legitimately recruited a small forward, Dell ? Its like our recruiting team just doesn't rate them.

Eades?

Small forwards are easy to find, just give me a pick.

Why, you simply gonna dig one up?

Hey, it’d be great to have a Betts, a Breust, a Puopolo, a Walters etc…
but we don’t !

Let Eades develop in the VFL, and by all means draft another this year with 1 of our Picks after Pick 1 or 2.
Only play them when they are ready to contribute at AFL level in a meaningful way.
Don’t promote just because they are a small forward.

Next season, we have a multitude of midfield options.
Probably the best group we’ve had since 2001.
A number of them, who have been forced to lug huge midfield minutes this season, will have greater opportunities to rest forward.
Parish
Zerrett
Zaharakis
Colyer
Fantasia

All these guys are fast, skillful, have goal sense, able to close down space, most have a defensive mindset, and in some cases, are excellent tacklers.

It’s probably not Rioli/Puopolo/Breust, but a combination of the players listed above is still friggin good as a small forward group !

When was the last time we legitimately recruited a small forward, Dell ? Its like our recruiting team just doesn't rate them.

Eades?

Pretty sure Redman is considered a forward too, albeit not as small as Eades.

Eades?

He’s about the same weight (76kg vs 75) according to our website, but 7cm taller at 187 vs 180, wouldn’t be surprised if he was still growing though looking at his physique.

So if he is still growing, and he is potentially a strong fast player he may end up being a Tim Membrey type forward (add 12kg and 1cm) or even a Stewie Crameri type (add 21kg and 2cm), so maybe not small forward if his don’t argue yesterday is any indication (see below). Come to think of it, Dustin Martin is the same height and 12 kg heavier, maybe he is modelling himself on him given he is going forward more.

https://facebook.com/sevenVFL/videos/256542958042403/

So he may end up being in a similar category to Langford and Laverde as a mid forward when he gets some size on him (not forgetting he is the youngest player on our list).

Eades?

He’s about the same weight (76kg vs 75) according to our website, but 7cm taller at 187 vs 180, wouldn’t be surprised if he was still growing though looking at his physique.

So if he is still growing, and he is potentially a strong fast player he may end up being a Tim Membrey type forward (add 12kg and 1cm) or even a Stewie Crameri type (add 21kg and 2cm), so maybe not small forward if his don’t argue yesterday is any indication (see below).

https://facebook.com/sevenVFL/videos/256542958042403/

Redman is a modern forward in the vein of Gunston/Bruest . When he was in the AFL side he was like Bambi in the headlights. Don’t judge him on that appearance. Some players are dead set after their first game like Barry Davis, Tim Watson or Darcy Parish but most take time. Stay tuned. He has the arrogance to be a great. Remember who told ya.

Our leading patterns from the forward line are rubbish. I carefully watched the Hawthorn forward line on Friday and the difference was that they would continue with their leads even if they were ignored. Half hearted leads result in a lack of separation, you need to keep running to create space behind you for the next guy. I coach basket ball occasionally and I tell the kids that when we have the ball we all have to run into space. Even if the carrier doesn’t pass the ball to you the act of running into space creates space behind you for the next kid to run into.

Our leading patterns from the forward line are rubbish. I carefully watched the Hawthorn forward line on Friday and the difference was that they would continue with their leads even if they were ignored. Half hearted leads result in a lack of separation, you need to keep running to create space behind you for the next guy. I coach basket ball occasionally and I tell the kids that when we have the ball we all have to run into space. Even if the carrier doesn't pass the ball to you the act of running into space creates space behind you for the next kid to run into.

I’m not suggesting that the answer is to hire Humbert as forward coach by the way, I’ll leave it up to the club to make that excellent choice.

Small forwards are easy to find, just give me a pick.

Ben, Have you seen Tyson Stengle from the S.A. U18 side ? Has played well in the carnival and prolific goal scorer in SANFL Ressies. Few bags of 5 goals. Reminds of Eddie Betts and Steve Milne. Appears to have a few tricks.

Draft Ben Ainsworth