How Old Were You When You Moved Out?

If you move out, that should be it. You don’t want to be one of those back and forth jerkholes.

I was back and forth for most of my 20s in between living on the mainland, travelling, Uni etc. No problems whatsoever. I would just chuck my stuff in my room, sometimes without telling them. They just seemed fine with it. Had a birthday weekend and got massacred, came home covered in food dye with a lady friend and a bottle of something nasty. Mum came to the bottom of the stairs that morning and very sweetly called out “happy 27th birthday sweetheart, glad you had a good time, don’t you think it’s time you found a place of your own? Love you”. And that was it. Moved in to a joss house which I frequented mostly anyway by the end of the weekend and everyone was happy.
No one told me about this thing called rent though.

21. Super religious parents. I needed some space.

Got a mate that’s similar.
Loose as you can get.

Baby boomer; moved out when I was 17, mostly because my Parents couldn’t stand me anymore. Finished High School living with an old Aunty in Kensington, then went to Uni and moved into a share house in Carlton with lots of other boys and girls.

Always went back home to see the folks at least once a week, and we got on much better, but never returned to live with them.

The amazing part was that when my Aunty died, she left her house to me, that really ■■■■■■ all the other relatives off bigtime. Sold it for $16,000 in 1972; probably worth close to million now.

Paid rent to the folks as soon as I finished school and starting working/studying. Moved out at 22. Back at 24 when I got in some money trouble. Out again at 25 once that was paid off. Back again at 27 to rent the family home while mum and dad got themselves set up in a new city and built their new house on the coast. Out again at 28 when the home got sold.

Out at 17. Craved the independence.

Bullshit boot they shipped you off to expand the empire.

Then back again for a year at 27 when my ex farked me over and I was broke.

Sorry Diggs.

1. Wog Family.
  1. Moved to Brisbane after I quit uni and wanted a change. When I came back to Cairns I lived with mum until I found work and got a place. Moved out for good just before my 24th birthday.

Sorry Diggs.

Don’t apologise to me, apologise to Mr and Mrs Peos.

But want to give my daughter a better chance.

16? That’s young.

Given most of you are posting from your mother’s basement I surmise you’re all lying about having moved out.

Sorry Diggs.

They like me, so they were fine with it.

Sorry Diggs.

My parents are always telling me I can come back to live whenever I want.

37. Wog Family.

More likely

Sorry Diggs.

My parents are always telling me I can come back to live whenever I want.

Revenant

37. Wog Family.

More likely

‘im trying to leave, but nonna keeps bringing out this massive wooden spoon’

The share house is one of life's great experiences.

I stayed in one where the landlord was more of a slumlord in Mooroolbark. he converted nearly every liveable space in the house into a bedroom even shut off access to the basement which I resided in to convert the space above which would have been the dining area into a bedroom to squeeze another body. We had a 4 bedroom house turned into a 6 bedroom not to mention the shed being converted into a living quarter and the basement which he wanted to divide into 2 bedrooms with a small lounge area for 2 people. I still remember what he was charging people at the house I stayed in (he had another house where he had like 14 people in it)

The outdoor shed = Room with a small living area (literally could just fit a couch and tv) cost: 200 a fortnight.
Basement (no access to the main living area to have a shower or use kitchen unless you went outside and walked around to the back door but you got a loungeroom and cellar to store your food and a fridge) $300
Standard bedroom rooms were $280 a fortnight
Room with ensuite $250.

Some of the characters I encountered in that joint. Some couples too. Most of us were on Centrelink and I think only one bloke worked full time at night.

1. When l was old enough to fend for myself financially. At the end of the first year of college.