How Old Were You When You Moved Out?

I was born and raised on the streets.

Italian family. Moved out at 27 when I got married. Nobody in the family knew what paying board meant. 2 brothers and two sisters all younger and same treatment. Great parents do anything for the kids and vice versa. Mum was always a housewife and dad a hard worker. I used to help him as a 13 yr old every night going out to a cleaning job. Actually it was great fun because they were pubs so I learnt to be a really good pool shark at a very young age.

The share house is one of life's great experiences.

I stayed in one where the landlord was more of a slumlord in Mooroolbark. he converted nearly every liveable space in the house into a bedroom even shut off access to the basement which I resided in to convert the space above which would have been the dining area into a bedroom to squeeze another body. We had a 4 bedroom house turned into a 6 bedroom not to mention the shed being converted into a living quarter and the basement which he wanted to divide into 2 bedrooms with a small lounge area for 2 people. I still remember what he was charging people at the house I stayed in (he had another house where he had like 14 people in it)

The outdoor shed = Room with a small living area (literally could just fit a couch and tv) cost: 200 a fortnight.
Basement (no access to the main living area to have a shower or use kitchen unless you went outside and walked around to the back door but you got a loungeroom and cellar to store your food and a fridge) $300
Standard bedroom rooms were $280 a fortnight
Room with ensuite $250.

Some of the characters I encountered in that joint. Some couples too. Most of us were on Centrelink and I think only one bloke worked full time at night.

All I got out of this is that you paid for $200 a fortnight in mongrelbark

Looxuery!

Looxuery!

Aye…he was lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank.

24, perhaps would’ve stayed a bit longer but cricumstances went a bit sour at home so I moved out.
Never paid board and neither do my siblings, if I have kids one day they will never pay either.

Unofficially at 19 (crashed most nights at the gf’s place), officially ab out 20-21 with 4 other mates.

I will make mine pay board if they are not looking to go to uni or do a higher form of education (Tafe/Apprenticeship) after high school. We pay for them for 18 years, least they can do is pay board to cover some of the bills. When I stayed with the Inlaws after a few dodgy share house experiences I paid board and they kept it to give back when we moved into our house.

When I stayed with the Inlaws after a few dodgy share house experiences I paid board and they kept it to give back when we moved into our house.
That's quite common and very very smart.

Moved out at 18 to live with the GF. Moved back at 20 when the family bought a farm on Mt Tamborine as they needed the extra hands to help with the property. Then moved out at 21 when I joined the Army, and went to RMC Duntroon, and picking Avos, Blueberries and Kiwi fruit got too boring.

Our kids live out of home now and we helped them do that by selling our 4 bedroom house and buying a two bedroom farm house 2.5 hours away from where they wanted to have fun.

18 initially. Was only gone two or three weeks and cops came and took me to the morgue to ID a mate who’d died that afternoon in a car accident. Shook me up. Stuck it out for a while but as I was doing shift work and making a fortune was invited back home to save for my own place. Got my first place at 22 and rented out the spare rooms to jockeys. ■■■■ got weird then as all they did was get up at 3am and go to morning track work, begin drinking after arvo track work, ■■■■ the strappers and collapse…

I used to live with my Mum in West Philadelphia. It was pretty awesome, I spent a lot of time at the playground in particular.

Then however my Mum got scared after I got into a big fight. She sent me to live with my aunt and uncle in Bel-Air.

It was pretty good.

True story.

I used to live with my Mum in West Philadelphia. It was pretty awesome, I spent a lot of time at the playground in particular.

Then however my Mum got scared after I got into a big fight. She sent me to live with my aunt and uncle in Bel-Air.

It was pretty good.

True story.

Wow.

Seems like your life really got flipped. Turned upside down even.

Out at 17. Craved the independence.

Likewise.

It was pretty good.

True story.

That’s pretty fresh. You’re not royalty are you?

24, perhaps would've stayed a bit longer but cricumstances went a bit sour at home so I moved out. Never paid board and neither do my siblings, if I have kids one day they will never pay either.
Kids have to contribute somehow. Otherwise they turn into entitled little sh*ts.

It was pretty good.

True story.

Heard you actually died in the fight and Belair is actually heaven, thats why she only appears on your birthday and special occasions because that’s when she is visiting your grave.
24, perhaps would've stayed a bit longer but cricumstances went a bit sour at home so I moved out. Never paid board and neither do my siblings, if I have kids one day they will never pay either.
Kids have to contribute somehow. Otherwise they turn into entitled little sh*ts.

Not really

Personally beat them until they can chorus out FRANKLIN! with the best of them.

Not really

But if you give them everything, with nothing expected in return, you’ll condition them into expecting society to treat them the same way.