Howlett's Goal

That’d have to rank up there with the all time best essendon goals I would have thought… Great hands from the ruck contest, big don’t argue, bit of a shimmy on the boundary line and then the impossible kick.

Anyone got the footage?

will make a nice gif

Some reckon it hit the post, so you will see it a million times on TV

I’ve got the footage seared into my brain. Not gonna help you much. One of the best goals I’ve ever seen.

Straight through the middle. ■■■■ BT.

And this is still my favourite Essendon goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfzUAVMec6I

I was right behind it. It went through the middle. I could see Benny was pumped to do something like that as he steamrolled into the contest. He had the chest puffed out. That was huge!

Something went our way.  Fark the rest.

The most extraordinary aspect of this goal which the replay does not show, is that Mercs was actually running towards the points, and could not straighten up because of the pressure to his right.
Consequently, he had to kick it just slightly off centre of his boot.
What exquisite skills he had !

It was discussed on the radio when I was driving home and apparently a couple of crows players claimed it had hit the post. The field umpire asked the goal umpire who said it was clearly a goal and field maggot said "all clear". QED.

As for BT and his commentary well doesn't everybody know he is a tool of the highest order. Someone just needs to yell in his ear that commentators are there to call and enhance the game for the TV watchers, not run his own show. Tim's jibe was great.

it hit the back of the post

we were owed it plus three others though

umpires are getting worse every week

Unless you were at the game and on the right angle, it would be hard to tell one way or the other. Certainly the common potators couldn't tell, even though they went on about the ball changing trajectory after going past the post. The goal chump was in good position and IIRC so was the boundary chump as well. Either way, l am happy to accept the call. lt would be somehow fitting if Benny won the GOTY with that effort, just to hear others complain that it really did hit the post. 

Mine too

Howletts hit the post, sorry people.

Mine too

Howletts hit the post, sorry people.

It's allowed to hit the back if it's crossed the line

All clear?

Well?

I said "All Clear"!

Unless you were at the game and on the right angle, it would be hard to tell one way or the other. Certainly the common potators couldn't tell, even though they went on about the ball changing trajectory after going past the post. The goal chump was in good position and IIRC so was the boundary chump as well. Either way, l am happy to accept the call. lt would be somehow fitting if Benny won the GOTY with that effort, just to hear others complain that it really did hit the post. 

I half expect the GOTY committee to issue a cause notice making us prove it didnt hit the post.

remember when ablett won mark of the year when he actually dropped it?

I half expect the GOTY committee to issue a cause notice making us prove it didnt hit the post.

Well played chess, nice move. Then the rules c'ttee will get involved, making it mandatory, and it become forever after known as the Howlett rule. 

Similar to McPhee vs St Kilda 2008