Howlett's Goal

We won by more than a goal, go suck a fat one crow eaters.

Would hotspot work? like in the cricket.

Doubt it, too much noise nearby from the crowd.

A sensitive accelerometer would work, sense any movement in the post. Any swaying from the wind would easily be able to be filtered out in software.

These should be the easy ones to pick up under review but they still get them wrong. The tough ones are like the Kane Cornes one on the weekend where it is called touched off the boot. Pretty rare that they get good footage like the one where Heppell managed to get a touch on it a few weeks back. Really need HD and better cameramen for that.

A sensitive accelerometer would work, sense any movement in the post. Any swaying from the wind would easily be able to be filtered out in software.

These should be the easy ones to pick up under review but they still get them wrong. The tough ones are like the Kane Cornes one on the weekend where it is called touched off the boot. Pretty rare that they get good footage like the one where Heppell managed to get a touch on it a few weeks back. Really need HD and better cameramen for that.

Just get rid of the cameras and other gizmos and just go with the umpires call.
Was there ever such furor over these sorts of decisions prior to the technology being brought in? Everything is just so needlessly over analysed. Just leave it to the umps, if they get it wrong they get it wrong.. one week it may work in your favour and the next week it may not.
It's sport, not surgery. Not everything has to be 100 percent correct.

make the ball and the posts velcro.

might be a ■■■■■ getting it down though.

Howletts hit the post, sorry people.

It's allowed to hit the back if it's crossed the line

Nope, if the ball hits the post at any stage of its trajectory, regardless of whether it has crossed the line first, it is a point. Otherwise there'd never be a rule in place that if the ball hits the goal umpire's flags (which count as the back of the post) it is a point - and given their position behind the post there is no way a ball can hit them without being over the line.

What if a seagull hits the post at the same time the ball is near the post???

Nope, if the ball hits the post at any stage of its trajectory, regardless of whether it has crossed the line first, it is a point. Otherwise there'd never be a rule in place that if the ball hits the goal umpire's flags (which count as the back of the post) it is a point - and given their position behind the post there is no way a ball can hit them without being over the line.
In recent years they moved the goal line backwards, to be in line with the back of the posts, and they also changed the rule to explicitly mention “any other attachment to the goal post”.
My reading of the rules is that a ball that goes completely over the line and then bounces back into the post (including by a ricochet off a player or the fence) is a point/out of bounds, unless the field ump has called “all clear” before that happens. Pretty sure that‘s not the intent or practice though :D
There is also a missing space before the final sentence in Rule 12.2.2(a).
No, really, there is.

What if a seagull hits the post at the same time the ball is near the post???

or a pie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lHUeRIXRgo

AWOOOOOOOOO!!

And it had to happen the one game I have missed in Melbourne in 5 years!!! Then Trav's ripper! I missed out :(

make the ball and the posts velcro.

might be a ***** getting it down though.

That's where you throw another ball at it to try to dislodge it, there bye getting that one also stuck.

This can't be right.

12.1.1 says it's a goal once it passes completely over the line. It's the first definition of any score. Also, the bounce of the ball has nothing whatsoever to do with scoring  - so what happens if a ball bounces well through the goals and (as is reasonably common) bounces back to hit the goal post (or the flags)? Clearly that's a goal. Or let's say you go to kick and a defender is in front of you so you kick a very high ball into the teeth of a gale, the ball goes goal post high metres through and over the goal line right over the goal ump's hat, then the gale whips it into the back of the post. Surely that's a goal?

https://goaloftheyear.afl.com.au/vote/round?modal=/vote/submit/260073/1#_=_

Only at 29%, what a load of crap.

Yep, 66% for Jenkins' goal. BS.

Question for those smarter than me. Was Podsiadly's push on Hooker legal? Also does Jenkins not run nearly 20m without bouncing the ball?

Jenkins goal was huge but I am bias, everyone should vote for Howlett.

Yep this happened to Jason akermanis up at the gabba. The umpires flag stick was sticking out, the ball had crossed the line clearly but hit the stick therefore was called a point because it was part of the post.

Jenkins goal was huge but I am bias, everyone should vote for Howlett.

His definitely the better choice.

One replay looked to show a clear deflection. I thought it was a point but I'm not going to argue.
If the ball crosses the line first and then still hits the back of the post it's a behind. Any day of the week

Even if it hits the ground over the line and bounces back into the post? And if that's a goal, then if it clips the back of the post with a wonky spin after crossing the line is that different?

This can't be right.

12.1.1 says it's a goal once it passes completely over the line. It's the first definition of any score. Also, the bounce of the ball has nothing whatsoever to do with scoring  - so what happens if a ball bounces well through the goals and (as is reasonably common) bounces back to hit the goal post (or the flags)? Clearly that's a goal. Or let's say you go to kick and a defender is in front of you so you kick a very high ball into the teeth of a gale, the ball goes goal post high metres through and over the goal line right over the goal ump's hat, then the gale whips it into the back of the post. Surely that's a goal?
Oh, I agree that‘s the intent and practice, but there are some Scania-sized holes in the rules if you interpret them literally. I‘ve reviewed and written sporting rules so I appreciate it‘s a prick of a job to be clear, concise, and comprehensive… but the AFL rules are quite sloppy in places.
I want to see some helpful or accidental ■■■■■■■ get pinged by rule 15.6.1(e), purely for the ensuing outrage: a free kick shall be awarded against a Player who touches the football after the boundary Umpire has signalled that the football is Out of Bounds, except for a Player who has carried the football over the Boundary Line under this Law 15.6.1 or a Player awarded a Free Kick under these Laws.