Hugh IS This McLuggage and How Many Brownlow?

The thing that worries me is that the best AFL midfielders are contested ball animals (eg. Fyfe, Danger, Sloane, Parker etc.). McLuggage isn’t anywhere near as aggressive at the ball as these players, so I wonder how high his ceiling is at AFL level. I’ve got no doubt he will be a very good played, but you’d hope to get a match winner with pick one.

Is he a goal kicking Stanton?

Is he a goal kicking Stanton?

I’d prefer Pendlebury

Could definitely see Mclug as a match winner, seems like the most likely to step up in the last 10min of Q4 and deliver a couple of goals from nothing.

I gave in and watched his VicM and SA ‘highlights’ vids. Most impressive imo was actually his centre square appearances. Looks able to read the play and run into the pill at the right moment. Instinctive gives by hand under pressure actually remind me of Darcy. Sure ball handling. Kicking action is slightly awkward but will improve imo… But if he goes forward and nails goals every week then its just fine as-is anyway.

No preseason. Excellent timing around the ball. Good vision and willing to take the difficult option. Wins centre clearances and hits the scoreboard. Classy mover that must be quicker than his gait would suggest.

Lets not outsmart ourselves. This kid is a genuine footballer, not just an athlete and certainly Not getting by on advanced physical development. A ball finder who is dangerous on the scoreboard as well. And he’s literally the antithesis of Melksham at U18 level - consistently good week after week.

NOT much not to like imo.

The thing that worries me is that the best AFL midfielders are contested ball animals (eg. Fyfe, Danger, Sloane, Parker etc.). McLuggage isn't anywhere near as aggressive at the ball as these players, so I wonder how high his ceiling is at AFL level. I've got no doubt he will be a very good played, but you'd hope to get a match winner with pick one.

Yes players have to go when it’s their turn and be willing to tackle and so forth, but I think you’re kind of defining best midfielders as best physical midfielders. Even ignoring the value of high quality outside players, Ablett doesn’t throw himself at the ball like Sloane does, Swan didn’t body through guys like Dangerfield. Being able to operate in heavy traffic is a must for a well rounded midfielder, but that doesn’t necessarily require hyperphysicality. (No I’m not saying McCluggage plays like Swan or Ablett)

The thing that worries me is that the best AFL midfielders are contested ball animals (eg. Fyfe, Danger, Sloane, Parker etc.). McLuggage isn't anywhere near as aggressive at the ball as these players, so I wonder how high his ceiling is at AFL level. I've got no doubt he will be a very good played, but you'd hope to get a match winner with pick one.

I dunno, while he’s not ferocious at the ball, he clearly has a great inside game. My biggest gripe on pure highlights watching is that he rarely seems to hit a target by foot. Seems classy by hand, and obviously kicks while under pressure a lot, but the couple of vids I’ve seen are just him kicking it either to the opposition or into space for nobody. (Unless that target is the goals, where he looks very polished. )

I’m not going to pretend that YouTube videos are a fair representation though. He looks the goods, just not sure he’s the stand out of the draft class. But I guess you dont find that out for about 3-5 years.

I gave in and watched his VicM and SA 'highlights' vids. Most impressive imo was actually his centre square appearances. Looks able to read the play and run into the pill at the right moment. Instinctive gives by hand under pressure actually remind me of Darcy. Sure ball handling. Kicking action is slightly awkward but will improve imo.. But if he goes forward and nails goals every week then its just fine as-is anyway.

No preseason. Excellent timing around the ball. Good vision and willing to take the difficult option. Wins centre clearances and hits the scoreboard. Classy mover that must be quicker than his gait would suggest.

Lets not outsmart ourselves. This kid is a genuine footballer, not just an athlete and certainly Not getting by on advanced physical development. A ball finder who is dangerous on the scoreboard as well. And he’s literally the antithesis of Melksham at U18 level - consistently good week after week.

NOT much not to like imo.

I think McCluggage will need a good development program to elevate him to an elite player.

McGrath could play anywhere in the league, with a poor development program and will still strive.

He's the slow and steady type like G O'Donnell in his day. Not no. 1! Essendon have enough of those sort of players. They need dynamic, game breaking types who can take the game on. Not plodders (am I being a little harsh? ;) )
Harsh. Gary was a Norm Smith medallist.

Was he? You sure? Could easily have won.

So all the good judges rate him #1 but a few cockwombles don’t want him a. Because they want to boof McGrath or b. Want to boof Ainsworth.

We need silk in the midfield.

He's the slow and steady type like G O'Donnell in his day. Not no. 1! Essendon have enough of those sort of players. They need dynamic, game breaking types who can take the game on. Not plodders (am I being a little harsh? ;) )
https://i.imgur.com/utzTCyo.png

It might be but I don’t get it.

Potential AFL top draft pick Hugh McCluggage likes what he sees at Essendon Football Club

AAP
October 8, 2016 12:49pm

POTENTIAL top AFL draft pick Hugh McCluggage would be happy to join Essendon, saying the Bombers showed this year they had turned a corner.

McCluggage’s outstanding under-18 season has him widely-rated as the player likely to go first in the draft and the Bombers hold the No. 1 selection.

Essendon finished last this season after losing 12 players at the start of the year to doping bans, a result of the club’s long-running supplements debacle.

While McCluggage has no say in who recruits him — and he was quick to voice his enthusiasm about joining any AFL club — he noted the Bombers had handled a tough season well.

“It doesn’t worry me,” he said of Essendon’s dramas.

“They’ve stuck together really well (this season), a lot better than people thought

“They’ve had a few good wins and they’ve obviously had the supporters get behind them.

“It’s onwards and upwards for them.”

The North Ballarat Rebel capped a great year a week ago by kicking four goals in the AFL under-18 All-Stars match, which showcased many of the top draft prospects.

McCluggage also won the TAC Cup’s Morrish Medal and made the under-18 All Australian team.

The only downside of his All-Stars performance was a quad injury, which could restrict what tests he performs over this weekend at the AFL draft combine at Etihad Stadium.

Asked who he thinks will be the No. 1 draft pick, McCluggage said “definitely” Sandringham utility Andrew McGrath.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/potential-afl-top-draft-pick-hugh-mccluggage-likes-what-he-sees-at-essendon-football-club/news-story/5b0fbec1e64ae6837543fbd42e9ae6cf

It's a shame there's no online footage available of McCluggage displaying pick #1 skills. Surprising given how consistent his numbers are.

The number one skill any player can have is the skill to read the game and predict what is about to happen. When a player can do this their decisions are better and faster. Athleticism is a small part of it. vote 1 the clugg!

He’s not really like mercuri. More like Picken from WB but classier. More like terry Daniher but smaller.

So all the good judges rate him #1 but a few cockwombles don't want him a. Because they want to boof McGrath or b. Want to boof Ainsworth.

We need silk in the midfield.

HD and I haven’t written off McClugg, just saying we really like the player ben ainsworth represents, but if you wanna gloss over that, father time, thats your prerogative.

It might be but I don't get it.
Sigh.

Like the original poster, people can be seduced by flashiness. The majority of people at the time thought O’Donnell was BOG.

Maybe it was too recent for you to remember.

Its been said that McGrath is dynamic , athletic ( hurdler) very fit and good. Clugg didnt have a pre-season is a bit puffy, and needs to get in shape.
But in spite of these major differences, Clugg is putting in performances that have him at #1 - #2 draft pick.

So the question is, how much better will Clugg be when his body is tuned up , Is McGrath much closer to his performance ceiling? There may be more upside to Clug than McGrath, in which case I would go for him.

So what does Dodoro think ? He has 6 weeks to make up his mind , by which time this thread will have run to about 150+ pages.

Yes players have to go when it’s their turn and be willing to tackle and so forth, but I think you’re kind of defining best midfielders as best physical midfielders. Even ignoring the value of high quality outside players, Ablett doesn’t throw himself at the ball like Sloane does, Swan didn’t body through guys like Dangerfield. Being able to operate in heavy traffic is a must for a well rounded midfielder, but that doesn’t necessarily require hyperphysicality. (No I’m not saying McCluggage plays like Swan or Ablett)

I’m trying to imagine the sort of player who he will become. Perhaps Sidebottom, Scully and Gaff are good comparisons.

The inside game at AFL level is completely different to underage footy. It’s brutal and power is important. Kav was supposedly an inside/out player, but at AFL level he couldn’t get a look in on the inside.

Personally I like the look of McGrath. Has amazing physical attributes and is strong over the ball.

Potential AFL top draft pick Hugh McCluggage likes what he sees at Essendon Football Club

AAP
October 8, 2016 12:49pm

POTENTIAL top AFL draft pick Hugh McCluggage would be happy to join Essendon, saying the Bombers showed this year they had turned a corner.

McCluggage’s outstanding under-18 season has him widely-rated as the player likely to go first in the draft and the Bombers hold the No. 1 selection.

Essendon finished last this season after losing 12 players at the start of the year to doping bans, a result of the club’s long-running supplements debacle.

While McCluggage has no say in who recruits him — and he was quick to voice his enthusiasm about joining any AFL club — he noted the Bombers had handled a tough season well.

“It doesn’t worry me,” he said of Essendon’s dramas.

“They’ve stuck together really well (this season), a lot better than people thought

“They’ve had a few good wins and they’ve obviously had the supporters get behind them.

“It’s onwards and upwards for them.”

The North Ballarat Rebel capped a great year a week ago by kicking four goals in the AFL under-18 All-Stars match, which showcased many of the top draft prospects.

McCluggage also won the TAC Cup’s Morrish Medal and made the under-18 All Australian team.

The only downside of his All-Stars performance was a quad injury, which could restrict what tests he performs over this weekend at the AFL draft combine at Etihad Stadium.

Asked who he thinks will be the No. 1 draft pick, McCluggage said “definitely” Sandringham utility Andrew McGrath.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/potential-afl-top-draft-pick-hugh-mccluggage-likes-what-he-sees-at-essendon-football-club/news-story/5b0fbec1e64ae6837543fbd42e9ae6cf

Bring Him In!

It might be but I don't get it.
Sigh.

Like the original poster, people can be seduced by flashiness. The majority of people at the time thought O’Donnell was BOG.

Maybe it was too recent for you to remember.

Yeah, well, I though GO’D deserved Norm too.