Hugh IS This McLuggage and How Many Brownlow?

If we don't get either McCluggage or McGrath, we probably need the two picks in the top 7. and no key forwards thanks.

It appears we’d be overpaying something shocking, and it’s not our pressing need.

This thread escalates into a name and support my favourite draft hopeful to sway opinion - while disparaging other recruits and supporter’s reasons for favouring those other recruits. But that’s Blitz.

Disco wouldn’t give a fat rat’s toss bag what we think - but some of us act like he reads this thread so as to be well informed. My oh my.

Anyway.

The last five words of the quoted post, “it’s not our pressing need.” Have Blitzers even come to a conclusion, a consensus what Essendon’s pressing need is? Anyone?

Small forward. Tall forward. Any type of forward who can kick 'em.

Inside mid, outside mid. Any type of mid who can hit a target.

A running HBF who could play midfield.

A wingman, a ruckman, a utility, an orange-boy, a quality Blitz poster of any type, or even another coach in exile.

What exactly is Essendon’s most pressing need?

You’ve got to take into account the quality of players available in this draft.

I’d have KP’s down the bottom of the list - we have Joe, Francis, Hurley, Hooker, Brown, Hartley and Ambrose to mix and match across 5 or 6 positions. Possibly add McKernan as a fallback.

For inside mids (read slowish mids) we have Jobe, BJ, Heppell, Myers, Bird, Hocking and Howlett with a possibility of adding Langford and Laverde

For small defenders, we have Baguley, Gleeson, Kelly, Dempsey *, Morgan, McKenna

For outside’ish midfielders (read quicker than the others), we have Parish, Zach, Zaka, Colyer, J Long, Stanton

For small forwards, Fantasia, Tippa, Colyer, J Merrett, Redman, Eades, Kommer *

For ruckmen , we have Luey, Tbell, Gach and McKernan. You wouldn’t want more than 4 because to attract good ones, you need to promise them game time, and we can’t do that. If we dump McKernan, we have to pick someone moderately useful who’s happy to be on a list.

I’m hoping we’ve got small forwards, slow midfielders and rucks covered. If we draft a young ruckman, we’ve got to allow 3-4 years development and what does that say about Gach.

Then there are your midsizes, Dea, Langford, Laverde.

We could take a KP but we’d be overpaying under pick 10-15 from all accounts.

Guys might develop somewhere else, e.g. Wouldn’t be shocked if Redman was developed as a defender.

But I’d be looking classy midfielders with the first 2 picks.

For small defenders, we have Baguley, Gleeson, Kelly, Dempsey *, Morgan, McKenna

Gleeson is not a small defender - he is playing as an underweight defender playing tall.
Kelly has one year in him. He is not fast.
Dempsey more than likely will be delisted.
Morgan is almost constantly injured, and has shown just about nothing.
Oirish is a long term project.

I think you need to revise your list of dashing small defenders.

Why?

Are you going to put Tippa in? I’m not.

Who else is there? I’d consider putting Stanton there but I’d prefer better cleaner disposal.

I think you’ve missed my point. Where are our alternatives? Why do you think Dempsey has an asterisk.

If we don't get either McCluggage or McGrath, we probably need the two picks in the top 7. and no key forwards thanks.

It appears we’d be overpaying something shocking, and it’s not our pressing need.

This thread escalates into a name and support my favourite draft hopeful to sway opinion - while disparaging other recruits and supporter’s reasons for favouring those other recruits. But that’s Blitz.

Disco wouldn’t give a fat rat’s toss bag what we think - but some of us act like he reads this thread so as to be well informed. My oh my.

Anyway.

The last five words of the quoted post, “it’s not our pressing need.” Have Blitzers even come to a conclusion, a consensus what Essendon’s pressing need is? Anyone?

A wingman, a ruckman, a utility, an orange-boy, a quality Blitz poster of any type, or even another coach in exile.

I’d have KP’s down the bottom of the list - we have Joe, Francis, Hurley, Hooker, Brown, Hartley and Ambrose to mix and match across 5 or 6 positions. Possibly add McKernan as a fallback.

For inside mids (read slowish mids) we have Jobe, BJ, Heppell, Myers, Bird, Hocking and Howlett with a possibility of adding Langford and Laverde

For outside’ish midfielders (read quicker than the others), we have Parish, Zach, Zaka, Colyer, J Long, Stanton

For ruckmen , we have Luey, Tbell, Gach and McKernan. You wouldn’t want more than 4 because to attract good ones, you need to promise them game time, and we can’t do that. If we dump McKernan, we have to pick someone moderately useful who’s happy to be on a list.

I’m hoping we’ve got small forwards, slow midfielders and rucks covered. If we draft a young ruckman, we’ve got to allow 3-4 years development and what does that say about Gach.

Guys might develop somewhere else, e.g. Wouldn’t be shocked if Redman was developed as a defender.

Gleeson is not a small defender - he is playing as an underweight defender playing tall.

Why?

Are you going to put Tippa in? I’m not.

Who else is there? I’d consider putting Stanton there but I’d prefer better cleaner disposal.

I think you’ve missed my point. Where are our alternatives? Why do you think Dempsey has an asterisk.

I think Walla makes a great hb, except for his lack of marking ability and that he is needed elsewhere. So no, I wouldn’t put him in the list. My point is - the list has one name on it. Bags. That’s about it. Now I realise it’s not very sexy in here to accept that smaller tough, fast, skilled backs are important to us, because of our scoring issues - and ‘no goals’ means ‘add goal kickers’ to some. But we have a developing Oirsih in that position, and an ageing Bags.

Anyway.

That was certainly the case here and there this season. I could be wrong but I don’t think this upcoming season if he is selected in the 22 he will be playing this role. I think the in-game expectations of him will revolve around playing on a medium forward and getting involved more in offensive chains. I say this due to the vast amount of options we have to take care of the taller opponents. Hurls, Harts, Ambrose, Brown, a further pre-season under Francis who may play down there.

100% agree that we are really light on in terms of rebounding defenders. Morgan was a punt by Dodoro to help out in this area and to this early stage he has shown diddly squat for varying reasons.

Anyway.

That was certainly the case here and there this season. I could be wrong but I don’t think this upcoming season if he is selected in the 22 he will be playing this role. I think the in-game expectations of him will revolve around playing on a medium forward and getting involved more in offensive chains. I say this due to the vast amount of options we have to take care of the taller opponents. Hurls, Harts, Ambrose, Brown, a further pre-season under Francis who may play down there.

100% agree that we are really light on in terms of rebounding defenders. Morgan was a punt by Dodoro to help out in this area and to this early stage he has shown diddly squat for varying reasons.

Totally agree.

Just to be complete, if you’re going to exclude Gleeson, Kelly, Dempsey, McKenna and Morgan from the small defenders list, I’d think you’d have to do the same for small forwards for pretty much the same reasons with J Merrett (doesn’t play that role in a full team), Kommer (going to be delisted), Eades (long term project) and Redman (shown very little but people will disagree because of that sweet fend off in the VFL). And although I prefer him up forward, Tippa has played far more games as a small back than he has as a small forward.

We definitely need some options to play half back, we’re hardly bursting at the seams with depth anywhere besides tall defender.

Just to be complete, if you're going to exclude Gleeson, Kelly, Dempsey, McKenna and Morgan from the small defenders list, I'd think you'd have to do the same for small forwards for pretty much the same reasons with J Merrett (doesn't play that role in a full team), Kommer (going to be delisted), Eades (long term project) and Redman (shown very little but people will disagree because of that sweet fend off in the VFL). And although I prefer him up forward, Tippa has played far more games as a small back than he has as a small forward.

We definitely need some options to play half back, we’re hardly bursting at the seams with depth anywhere besides tall defender.

Yeah, I didn’t include the names you listed, though.

For the above reasons:

IN: HEPPA

Can anyone guess who this is from their draft profile?

In his own words

What type of player are you?
I’m a skilful, attacking defender.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Josh Drummond because he is a very skilful, creative defender with a long, accurate left foot kick.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Kicking ability, overhead marking, and clean hands at ground level.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Explosiveness, ability to break away from stoppages, body strength.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Dad - he has been a real mentor for me and has supported me with my football.

Anyway.

Goal scoring mid who can play all over the ground and be defensive. In other words the prototypical future football player. Übermensch. McClug puts his hand up. Then goes down with a knee.

Can anyone guess who this is from their draft profile?
In his own words

What type of player are you?
I’m a skilful, attacking defender.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Josh Drummond because he is a very skilful, creative defender with a long, accurate left foot kick.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Kicking ability, overhead marking, and clean hands at ground level.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Explosiveness, ability to break away from stoppages, body strength.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Dad - he has been a real mentor for me and has supported me with my football.

Dois. An absolute steal at #8 in the 2010 draft. Re-evaluated by Fox footy as #2 behind Parker

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2010-class-reselected-luke-parker-no-1-pick/news-story/52aa2606188369271e1a8fdf01b4735c

That was then, this is now.

…This thread escalates into a name and support my favourite draft hopeful to sway opinion - while disparaging other recruits and supporter’s reasons for favouring those other recruits. But that’s Blitz…

Not so much an “escalation” as manifestation of raison d’etre . There is little point in posting on social media and more specifically a draft discussion unless you want to voice your opinion.

I actually think a move to HBF could be good for Jerrett. Pace, Skill and is a good tackler.

I actually think a move to HBF could be good for Jerrett. Pace, Skill and is a good tackler.

This is our answer for every player who doesent perform in the forwardline

Not really. Jerret was drafted as a midfielder (more winger to be specific) so the forward line thing is a move from what we had probably planned in the first place.
And HBF is easier to play than small forward/midfielder so if you can utilise a players skills there why not try, if you end up with an abundance of HBFs you can always trade one. Better than keeping a player in a spot they aren’t going to succeed in at AFL level.

And this post totally has nothing to do with me suggesting earlier this year Jerrett has some tools that might be used well off the HBF*.

• OK it may have something to do with that.

Good call.
He’s actually got got very clean hands as well.

The new position formation for the Essendon team when it lines up.

B: 1
HB: 8
C: 4
HF: 1
F:1

M: 3
I: 4

Pretty much mirrors the way footy is played today anyway.

Good call.

I thought that you had to beat your man one on one if you played HBF?

Good call.

I thought that you had to beat your man one on one if you played HBF?

And had composure & good skills under pressure.

I wonder if the McCluggage v Brodie consideration is a bit like Gibbs v Cripps at the Blues. Who of Gibbs or Cripps would we want if we could choose?

Cripps without even having to think.
Gibbs isn’t a bad footballer by any stretch but Cripps, easily.

Carlton has had a swag of Bryce Gibbs, but bugger-all Patrick Cripps.

Cripps gets free rein in the clearances - Brodie would compete with Watson, Myers, Hocking, Bird, even Heppell.

We have one clean skilful midfielder and he doesn’t hit the scoreboard.

That list of inside mids, given age, durability & quality gives me more reason we need a Brodie or likewise drafted soon!

The McPackage.