"Iconic" sash is now a wheat husk

Should’ve been Slim Dusty’s face but red and stretched out diagonally.

8 Likes

Coeliacs triggered.

1 Like

Can’t wait until benzina sees this

Wasnt impresssed with the jumper. No need for special country jumper.

Disgraceful. Ten years ago I got a physical letter explaining the AFL were making us wear a clash jumper, despite this being against our constitution.

Now I get an email with the subject: check out our brand new guernsey…

How things have changed. This is a marketing ploy and does absolutely stuff all for farmers.

You know what would have been more impressive, today’s players wearing the same jumper as players who have come from the country before them. Watsons, Neagles, Danihers et al. Instead we’re ■■■■■■■ away our history for the sake of a quick buck. And being laughed at, again, by the rest of the completion and football public.

It even looks rubbish, how did it get passed?

@Paul_Cousins @Kady can you please explain the decision making of this, and pass on all the feedback in this thread to the rest of the board?

11 Likes

rd 8, 2018 is coeliac apprection round.

5 Likes

The commemorative jumper will include a picture of the person that ruins your night out at a restaurant.

1 Like

The people who are posting as being outraged are pretending yeah?

14 Likes

I can handle dreamtime and ANZAC but not this. This is just beyond ■■■■■■. But ■■■■■ will buy it so they’ll just keep rolling them out.

1 Like

The best jumper is the one the VFL team wears, black with red sash and no sponsor logos on it. Just looks magnificent!

7 Likes

I can’t wait until the sash is turned into a piece of tofu or kale for vegan appreciation round.

8 Likes

Essendon Football Club is calling on its loyal and passionate supporters to ‘Don the wheat’ and become a member for season 2017.

Be it the players who take to the field or the supporters who wear it proudly in the stands, the bold red piece of wheat is what unites and separates Essendon from the rest of the competition.

But it’s more than a guernsey, it’s a tradition, a legacy.

Three players who continue the proud legacy launched the membership campaign at the True Value Solar Centre.

Captain Jobe Watson, senior coach and 1993 premiership captain Mark Thompson and 1965 premiership captain Ken Fraser delivered a personal insight into what it means to ‘Don the Wheat.’

Watson described the wheat as a proud extension of his own family.

“Growing up watching my father ‘Don the wheat’ and now wearing it as a player is a significant privilege. The sash is iconic to my family and the Essendon family,” Watson said.

“Most importantly though, the red wheat is fundamental to the club. For players past and present it represents the special bond of playing for this great club, and for our members and supporters it allows them to signify their love and pride for the football club.”

For Thompson, the wheat continues to serve as a reminder of what the Essendon Football Club stands for.

“The red piece of wheat continues to symbolise the nature of this great club. It represents our tradition, heritage and success,” Thompson said.

“As a coach, you can see the pride in our players when they pull on the red and black guernsey. It’s an extremely powerful guernsey, the red piece of wheat literally crosses their hearts."

Fraser said it was a privilege to ‘Don the wheat’ for more than a decade.

"I still remember the first time I donned the Essendon guernsey, and it’s a memory that still fills me with a great sense of pride.

“The Essendon members and supporters have always been the best in the league, and last year only reinforced their commitment and passion for the club, and I would encourage anyone who’s considering signing to become a member in 2014.”

Chairman Paul Little said the ‘Don The Wheat’ campaign honours the club’s proud history. He also encouraged supporters to be part of an important milestone as the Bombers strive to sign 60,000 members for the first time.

“When you think of Essendon, you immediately picture the red wheat. It is fundamental to the Essendon brand so we wanted to get back to basics and make it the hero of the campaign,” Little said.

“Through the red piece of wheat, the club is able to share some of its wonderful stories from both past and present, and get to the heart of what it truly means to be a part of the Essendon family, tradition and fabric of the club.”

As part of the 2014 membership campaign, the club will present a series of stories involving past and present players, coaches, administrators and fans on the history, pride and what it means to ‘Don the Wheat’.

The club is also calling on fans to share their favorite memories of the piece of wheat through a series of initiatives across the club’s digital and social media platforms over the coming months using #DonTheWheat and through essendonfc.com.au.

9 Likes

I hope so. This battle was lost long ago.

3 Likes

Standard overreaction. To be expected from the prima donnas.

7 Likes

When gay appreciation round gets traction, I shudder to think what stereotypical shape they’ll make the sash.

8 Likes

Hilarious, that’s some pulling of the wheat shaft. Well played.

I just don’t care.
If it’s a black jumper, a red sash, and it makes us a few bob, it’s all good to me.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Im no primma donna, but that wheat shaft is beyond a joke, the jumper looks ridiculous.

3 Likes

Hmm, this wheat husk sash seems to have sown some seeds of dissent?

For mine …I think it’s actually a bit silly, , stretches the concept and almost mocks the “Country Game” but, meh.

It’s all about the bucks, and we need it, If it makes folks on farms feel cuddled & they buy one because it represents them fine. We’ll see if it’s been worth it by how many sales there are, it would not surprise if they don’t cover the costs of developing it.

Wheat farms are only about 10% of farms I’m guessing, so maybe next year we can get the sash to represent Dairy farmers, and it can be made of little red cow pats?