If we are a serious club we MUST protest Rampe post climb

Since the rules are more “guidelines” these days, I think we should get creative. Starting with this idea about how we can transition more quickly from defence into attack:

indian%20cricket

7 Likes

I’m conflicted because I want to hate Dave Hughes.

15 Likes

Did any of them say under what rule they think it was ?

A wait, yes, no call would be a complete disaster in this scenario

5 Likes

That’d do, at least there’s a case under that one.

5 Likes

Which there is definitely currently no rule against.

Just had another look at the Stringer/Smith 100m penalty (I missed the 2nd 50 live probably because I was cursing the free-kick / first 50). That is an absolute disgrace. Commentators calling Smith undiscplined is also a disgrace. Sydney player B-lines at Smith who isn’t even looking. If that is correctly paid, then the rule is the most amateurish rule in an amateurish game. We are literally a step away from multi-ball.

12 Likes

I think it’s time the club released some “Ten Year anniversary” stubbie holders commemorating our last SCG win in 2009

3 Likes

He definitely SHOOK the post. Which there is an explicit rule against.

2 Likes

He did not shake the post. The post chose to shake.

1 Like

The rule explicitly states “Intentionally”, … it’s clear that wasn’t his intention, but was incidental to him climbing it.

So presumably you can repeatedly bump into the post causing it to shake?

People talk about ‘culture’ developed at different clubs… There seems to be an anti Essendon pro the filth, culture developed in the afl and umpiring community.
I can picture those ■■■■■ sitting around laughing as we are left with the pain of another umpire screwing… Yes, yes I know that ultimately Essendon have themselves to blame for a dismal performance but ■■■■ it!

1 Like

No, … not if your intention is to shake the post, … which doing so repeatedly would demonstrate it was.

I know people want to feel hard done by, but I think the argument here is clear when it comes to “intent”, … it’s an important enough thing to separate murder from manslaughter ffs, … so shouldn’t be just brushed off.

Under the wording of the rule, there was NO free kick to be paid under IT. That much is obvious.

No, my intention is to bump the post…repeatedly.

2 Likes

The AFL want to create grey areas, that’s where they operate - and do some of their best work! Grey areas create confusion and uncertainty which allows the AFL to influence all facets of the game from the MRO/Tribunal to the way the game is umpired. It has been going on for decades.

The clubs with strong administrative leadership, such as Collingwood and Hawthorn, who are prepared to get on the front foot and stand up for themselves (regardless what you think of McGguire & Kennett) seem to get the “rub of the green” as Gill refers to it.

I don’t think its any coincidence that the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

So what’s our President been doing for the last 3 weeks?

Then I think you’d likely wind up in a Rubber room.

The game is run by a bunch of self interested amateurs, the administration and Commission have been riddled with conflicts of interest for decades, the organisation is (absurdly) classified as a not for profit organisation, the game is a wash with gambling money, and they are allowed by the government to self regulate. Is anyone at all surprised to be sitting here?

5 Likes

I don’t agree with this at all.
A player’s ‘intention’ is assessed throughout AFL in determining penalties. Eg ‘intentional’ out of bounds; ‘intentional’ contact with X amount of force.
Knowledge of intent requires knowing exactly what is in the player’s mind. This is impossible so the umpires and MRP look at indicators of intent.
The reason for ‘intentionally’ in the shaking goal post rule is that a player could be pushed into a post so the shaking is accidental and there would be no penalty.
BUT, where an action is performed deliberately and intentionally (climbing the goal post) which 100% due to the laws of physics must cause the post to shake, then that indicates intent, as clearly and as strongly as intent can ever be assessed.
Rampe broke 2 rules and we should’ve been given a free kick. We got dudded, but we played so poorly we didn’t deserve to win so we’ll cop it.

6 Likes