If you back the opposition have you sold your soul?

Why do you have to bet on the Essendon games?

Bet on the other games if you want to make money.

I pointed out in my original post that I don’t do it to make money. It’s a sort of salve. It only works for Essendon games.

I’m not surprised at how polarising this topic is. If you see it as disloyal then you’ll say it’s pretty crap. I get that. And if I saw it as disloyal I wouldn’t do it.

Anyway, I want to hear more from percebushby, the bard of Bomber Blitz. Over to you perce, regale us with your splendid wit.

I must admit i do this sometimes. You do feel a bit better about a loss if you make some money. But i only do it when i think the odds support it and I probably bet on Essendon as often as i do any opposition.

That said I would never do it for a finals game. That’s where i draw the line personally.

Well yeah so maybe an Elimination Final but never a Semi or a Prelim.
You’re an ethical fence-sitter RookieListed :slight_smile:

I often consider backing against us for reasons you’ve stated, but never go through with it as I think I’d feel too dirty if we actually win.

Also, I do bet on occasion, but I could never get addicted because I’m just so bad at it. That doesn’t seem to stop some people I suppose.

Deckham sometimes its all about perspective. I know people that go to the movies almost every couple of weeks. I think it’s an absolute farking waste of time & money. They get no better at picking good movies than others do at picking winners. I think they might even enjoy the ■■■■ ones more. But they get to make out like they are some kinda of important movie critic. Personally I think it’s tragic, but if it makes them happy good luck to them.

And there are still plenty of people who enjoy a drink at their local either in company or on their own because they’ve earned it or just to be a bit social. If it happens every day or constantly turns into a bender it becomes bad. Being loud, obnoxious or rude and generally harassing others around you is not a quite bevvy. I don’t think its that farking hard to understand.

It’s at the point when any of these things becomes obsessive that problems can begin.

I think that the footballing public shouldn’t have betting forced down their throats but what’s it to you if people get a bit of extra enjoyment out of betting on a win or coping with a ■■■■ loss for the team that they love by having a wager. To each their own and maybe you missed the bit about moderation being the key.

I would say it’s you that is insecure if you think that having a bet is somehow going to condemn you. I get it may not be your thing but don’t make out others are weak for doing it.

Betting on football is completely farked. Hate what it's done to the match day experience. A generation of kids will grow up thinking that it's part of the game. That shittts me to tears.

I did it all the time under Matthew Knights whenever we played interstate.

Easy money, you knew we were going to get our pants pulled down.

I did it all the time under Matthew Knights whenever we played interstate.

Easy money, you knew we were going to get our pants pulled down.

But at Etihad against the Saints, get on us at $6+!!

I pointed out in my original post that I don’t do it to make money. It’s a sort of salve. It only works for Essendon games.

I’m not surprised at how polarising this topic is. If you see it as disloyal then you’ll say it’s pretty crap. I get that. And if I saw it as disloyal I wouldn’t do it.

Anyway, I want to hear more from percebushby, the bard of Bomber Blitz. Over to you perce, regale us with your splendid wit.

just out of curiosity, why do you think Essendon losing shouldn’t hurt?

You have to have a soul to lose it.

Nothing wrong with making a dollar out of the misery of a Bomber loss. All good prostitutes smile while they are earning their play.

And you claim to be lid off member?

There’s no heart in gambling.

Who you bet on is irrelevant to who you support.

I’ve done it before and would do it again.

I suspect at least some of the vehement ‘no’ posters would change their tune if, instead of standing to win a few hundred dollars, they stood to win a few million dollars from betting against Essendon. There’s an enormous body of evidence in the field of behavioral psychology to suggest that the moral bright line turns grey pretty quickly once large sums of money come into the equation.

Who said anything “should” or “shouldn’t” hurt?

I've done it before and would do it again.

I suspect at least some of the vehement ‘no’ posters would change their tune if, instead of standing to win a few hundred dollars, they stood to win a few million dollars from betting against Essendon. There’s an enormous body of evidence in the field of behavioral psychology to suggest that the moral bright line turns grey pretty quickly once large sums of money come into the equation.

Kerry Packer knew that:

"There is a little bit of the ■■■■■ in all of us, gentlemen. What is your price?

I was sitting with a few Blitzers at the Windy Hill social club one day and confided that on a certain fateful day in 1999 I'd put $30 on the Scum at about 6 to 1. Koala gasped and looked like she was about to smack me over the head and there was a general murmur of disgust coming from the table (I think "instaban" might have been muttered). I felt dirty. And I do recall feeling a bit dirty on that day back in 1999 when - still in full EFC regalia - I'd popped into the TAB on Swan Street and collected my winnings.

But it’s something I did to ease the pain. I couldn’t countenance the idea of losing so I decided that if we lost at least I’d have money to drown my sorrows. And now it’s become a habit. This year I won money on the Filth (backed them to win on ANZAC Day at $3), collected on Freo (backed them to win by > 26 pts) and just got back from the TAB with a healthy payout courtesy of Norf beating us by 0 to 12 points.

I’m bad, I know I’m bad.

It’s wrong, I know deep down that it’s wrong.

But now I’m eyeing off the Brissy Lions at $4.50. Am I the only one with this disgusting habit??

I’m glad you brought this up. I do it most weeks, it really helps ease the pain of a loss, especially when we’re expected to win comfortably.

I’m surprised at the response to this thread. I do it most weeks.

I see it as no different to tipping against us, which I’ve done when we are playing a good team. I don’t hope we lose but sometimes you realistically know we probably won’t win.

I do it almost every week.

It’s a win win.

To pay 20 bucks for us to win. I’m cool with that.
if we lose I have money for a slab to wipe away the pain.

Who said anything “should” or “shouldn’t” hurt?

I think you said something about feeling dirty collecting your winnings while everyone else was hurting. why were you feeling dirty?