If you could attend any Essendon moment in History?

5 goal win over nebula of Centaurus.

1 Like

The '84 Prelim v Collingwood out at VFL Park would’ve been a shitload of fun to be at watching live.

1 Like

I’d take the 70’s over anything the last ten years have dished up.

5 Likes

We’ve been hearing this for nearly 2 full decades.

Sheed’s went into bat for Dean Wallis??? Well I never!

I was behind the goals that day, a “defensive wall”
Is a pretty big exaggeration.

I don’t blame Wallis for that loss, but let’s not downlplay how much of a brain fade that was. IMO, Wallis saw a chance to hero himself, and if he had got around Brown… He might just have done that.

When we win our next premiership, I want to see everyone who was banned including the staff, on the MCG with the cup. That will be huge.

4 Likes

Discussing this with a mate last night.
The difference is that we might not have won a flag in the 2000’s, but we’ve regularly played some pretty good footy. Enough to give some hope, even if an optimistic one.
In the 70’s, we were invariably ■■■■■ - and I’m talking Gold Coast / pre- folding Fitzroy level ■■■■■.
The club was viewed similarly to how we now see FarkCarlton.

People have suggested attending Essendon historic games and moments from every decade from the 1950’s on - but not the 1970’s. ( even with a Graham Moss Brownlow thrown in)

To dispel the myth about the 70’s being so bad - we actually made the finals 3 times - Round 22 1972 Essendon v Collingwood.

It was Des Tuddenham’s first year as captain coach after finishing 11th the year before. We were 6th going in (with a final 5) and had to beat Collingwood (3rd) and hope St.Kilda 4th beat Hawthorn 5th to make the finals.

The gates were closed about 30 minutes before the game started with over 35,000 packed in, we only got in as some spectators forced open one of the exit gates and there must have been another 5000 squashed in like sardines.

We were 8 points behind at 3/4 time and 5 points in front with about 20 seconds to go when the ball was kicked to Peter Daniels on a dominant Peter McKenna with 8 goals in a one on one in the pocket, Daniels managed to punch it out of bounds and the siren went just afterwards to an enormous roar. By far the biggest loudest crowd I ever experienced at Windy Hill. A few minutes after the siren another huge roar as the scores went up on the scoreboard to confirm St.Kilda beat Hawthorn.

I’ve been lucky enough to be at I think all the other games mentioned except the Lucas game in Perth. The 81 Neale Daniher game, 84 grand final, 93 preliminary and Zakka’s 2009 goal are the others to really stand out.

7 Likes

Jeez, you know you’re getting old when I was there at all but the first one…

There’s no doubt it was a garbage period, but the 70’s was saga free.

Also, our average losing margin in the 70’s was 32 Points, between 08 ane 18 it was 38 points. Even if you remove 2016 from that lot, it’s 36 points. Our 3 finals performances were better results that our 4 pea hearted efforts of 2009, 2011, 2014 and, 2017.

I’ve been to many epic games. It’s funny, I don’t go to many, but I seem to have a knack for picking the right ones.

So apart from the 1949 Grand Final, I kind of wish I was at a game we lost.
Round 8, 1991.

ahh nostalgia, makes the highs higher and the lows lower.

anyone arguing from 2006 to 2016 wasn’t essendons worst period deserves to be cannoned into the sun.

4 Likes

You weren’t even born in 2006, were you?

1 Like

I popped up into existing during the knighta period.

1 Like

Made the finals a few times in the 1970’s, had a 100+ goal-kicker one year (Blethyn), a Brownlow medalist (Moss), the joy of seeing Madden, Watson, Van der Haar, Danihers (Terry and Neal) and many other future champions debut, the near Windy Hill riot against Richmond for starters.
Yes, the 1970’s were great times compared to the last decade-plus,

3 Likes

If you’re going to pick a loss it has to be 1992 against Hawthorn. I don’t remember it, but geez i’ve heard about it endlessly.

I remember losing to Hawthorn a lot, it’s hard to pinpoint specific games.

1 Like

It’s this one that gets parroted after a big loss.

We lost by 100 points then 12 months later won a flag etc, etc.

I’m the same.

Ive heard heaps about that game, but can’t really remember it specifically.

I’ll sit that one out, thanks.