If you could attend any Essendon moment in History?

Yes, that’s why it counts as a moment. That match in particular

[quote=“SofStar99, post:5, topic:14752, full:true”]
Listened to it live on the radio and have since watched the replay hundreds of times, but I would give anything to have been at the G for the 1993 prelim final against Adelaide!!!
[/quote]
And to think I left at half time. I even hung around in 92 for the Anzac Day 46 point comeback in the final quarter against Melbourne. Will always regret leaving that prelim. Never again.

The moment we were thinking about appointing Dank and Robinson, I would of moved heaven and hell to stop that.

5 Likes

200% my favourite football moment was beating freo over here when the saga dropped

I have never experienced anything like it. Was privileged to be there

8 Likes

Yep acknowledged - I was just talking in a general fence that the romance seemed to be tied to that match alone with a few lesser games here and there.

I don’t think anyone seriously thinks for a minute I’m comparing it to Carey v jakovich realistically, but it becomes a bit of a Monty python in my day type scenario as a spectacle.

But I was born in 1975 so have limited recall of that decade.

I think the the most tempting thing here is to wish for a game you’ve never seen. For me any with Coleman or Reynolds. But for pure enjoyment it would have to be revisiting a game that inspired you or evoked emotions rarely stirred. These are games that may might have had much riding on them at the time but profoundly impacted me.
Like these:
My first live game ever. 1972 vs South Melbourne at windy hill. It inspired a young 12 year old in ways that I still can’t put in words. A lifetime of following the Dons. I was awe struck thanks to Neville Fields.
Vander Haar’s comeback game. If you think the roar after Zaharakis’ Anzac goal was huge, the reaction from the Windy Hill crowd was off the charts. Amazing, indescribable atmosphere.
Game three. Vs West coast where they scored 1 goal. Never been so relaxed, so early in a game. And the purest football I have ever witnessed. Ah memories!!

5 Likes

Didn’t it come out much later, that during that week the AFL and EFC had made an agreement that Hird would be sacked?

That where I was! We may have embraced as it was definitely a hug a stranger moment.

Watching it from there you often get this illusion that the ball has carried further that it actually does and given that Zaka got knocked on his ■■■■, I pretty much thought it was going to fall short or be touched on the line. When the goal ump straightened up and gave it the 2 fingers, it was unbelievable.

Similar was Scotty Lucas nailing Carlton in round 18 1998 after Merc’s kick did get marked on the line only for Silvagni to grub the next kick straight to Lucas who was not going to fall short with his kick.

I feel pretty blessed. I looked at Speedy’s wish list of moments and I was there for all of them (bar Hirds final game in Perth).

I was at Windy Hill when Mark Jackson went crazy and the crowd piffed beer cans at him. I was there when Leigh Matthews snapped the point post.

The mythical one I wish I’d been at was Neil Daniher’s final 5 minutes vs Carlton at Princes Park or of course to get to see Coleman would be another.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was just talking about that match. Think Knights “won” that contest anyway but everyone talks about it as a great spectacle of marking.

I don’t really buy into the Carey and Jakovich duel. Im not a fan of Carey but he brought up a good point, it is much easier to punch than mark. Jako on paper clearly won those duels but Carey is right.

Would have loved to have had Blitz during the drawn GF in 48. Bill Brittingham would have copped it And so would ■■■■ Reynolds for not taking him off.

Trust me, that one you don’t want to include.
Decades later all it does is make me regret what might have been with his career.
Luckily Hird came along to fill that gap.

3 Likes

Assuming your talking about Anzac Day and Zakka kicking the sealer.
Oh Yay, this is actually one game I can say i was at with my collingwood mate, he was giving it to the essendon fans that were leaving 3qtr time / early in the last quarter.

This morning to tell Merrett not train today. :weary:

1 Like

It’s there interpretation but it’s closer than you think, and you could probably split it.

I think the reason jakovich wins out is he’s the only one that got close to Carey. Other than Stevens mrs.

Yeah I went there. Girlfriend.

Probably Coleman’s 12 on debut for me.

Underrated win that against FCFC in 2013 - that was glorious

1 Like

If I could attend any Essendon moment in history… it would be… being at training today to know wtf is going on with Zerretts injury

Round 1 2097 would suit me! Means I’ve lived a full life.

How many bomber flags?

If you ever spoke to him or Sheeds about it, they will tell you that there was a defensive wall of Carlton players 50m in front of Wallis waiting in anticipation for a rushed kick forward which they could have easily marked.
As Sheeds said, he had the right idea in trying to gain some metres & kick over the wall, the mistake he made was taking on the only Bloos player in the team that knew how to tackle.

Oh, back on topic, the 84 GF by a landslide, I’m ashamed to admit I was gun shy after going to the 83 GF, as I was a sore loser in my younger days.
I did go to the infamous Neale Daniher game at Princes Park & the 84 Semi final against the Hawks which, along with the 95 Anzac game, were nail biters the whole way through.

2 Likes

The game where Dermie went through the huddle. If there was ever a moment for someone to be delivered his cummupence, and no one see it happen this would’ve been it.

1 Like