If you could attend any Essendon moment in History?

A great day was when van der haar played his first game after his bike accident at wind hill

When he kicked his first goal the crowd went bonkus

Hird played his first game at vfl park as i recall against St kilda?

No.

Princess Diana died 1997.

We were playing Adelaide and it was Mark Harvey’s last game. (same ground though)

1 Like

Turn up on time at McCracken’s place just off Ascot Vale Rd on a Winter’s night in 1872 with W.S. Cox, Bob Dalgety, Alby Younghusband, the blokes from the Agricultural Society and the Hunt Club.
Together we’d work out a plan to get the little local football teams to band together and form one club to represent the district: the Essendon Football Club.

6 Likes

I went to every single one of those games you mentioned bar the Geelong one. Jealous. :wink:

I even went to that match in bad conditions at WH when the Eagles kicked the solitary goal all afternoon and got done by 142 points.

1 Like

She died on the day of the final round in 1997. Essendon were playing the Crows at Princess Park on a beautiful sunny perfectly windless Sunday afternoon.

After the reserves and before the main game started, the ground announcer informed all and sundry that Princess Diana had died. The ensuing stunned crowd silence was so complete that you could have heard an ant pass wind. Those minutes of shocked silent sadness of 20,000+ people, I shall never forget. Still gives me goosebumps.

More importantly, Essendon stormed home in the second half to edge out the eventual premiers by a couple of points. Think it may have been Mark Harvey’s last game as well.

8 Likes

Would like to be back ar windy hill, behind the goals, on the fence. Essendon v Fitzroy, their full back did something to John Coleman,…cannot remember what… me trying to get over the fence, in protest to save him…with my father grabbing my coat to hold me down, father vowed to never attend a match with me again, and he didn’t.

10 Likes

And duly got knocked out!

Round 23, 2016 vs FARK CARLTON.

Went with a Blues supporting mate, had heard ■■■■ all week about how they were going to flog us. Sat in the Carlton cheersquad, copped ■■■■ before the game about how bad we were, how good Carlton were becoming. Then we come out and give them a trashing. Cut to me giving ■■■■ back to all those morons leaving before the end of the game. Absolute best time I’ve ever had at the footy.

I know I already attended it, but I would absolutely love to attend it again and again.

6 Likes

Emotionally charged game round 1, 2017. I was pumped to the eye balls. This game and the 1984 GF are the ones I wouldn’t mind being at again

2 Likes

The 93 Prelim for me. I was 16.
Was listening to it on my walkman out at the Central Highland Grand Final out at Learmonth.
Cant remember who played in that game at Learmonth as my attention was taken by the radio.

1 Like

It indeed was Harvs’ last game, last one for Cransberg as well.

Farking AFL expansion lovechild…

2 Likes

Except Ryder. Fark him.

4 Likes

As ■■■■ as it was, 2016 with half a team delivered some highlights that were incredibly unique.

Each win was in and of itself a huge emotional buzz for the fans.

The loss to North where the team walked off at half time to a standing ovation, without having kicked a goal. Then to kick the last 6 goals unanswered against North who were top of the ladder, and only go down by 14 points. Walked off to another standing ovation.

The scenes after the final round win over Carlton at the southern stand end.

Fun times*

8 Likes

The ANZAC Day comeback against Melbourne would be pretty cool.

1 Like

ANZAC day you say. Against Melbourne, hmmm

I do say.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1992/051119920425.html

Haha smartarsery fail on my behalf.

1 Like

The games on you tube I think
bit fuzzy

1 Like