If you could attend any Essendon moment in History?

Took an Irish mate to his first game that day. Said “make sure you wear a shirt with a collar” to get into the Members’. Naturally rolls up in a T-shirt, so had to sit down the Punt Rd end.

IIRC we got back within a goal with quite a few minutes to go, then Wallis and A Daniher missed straightforward shots, until Wanga won it with an HTB free.

1949 - Coleman’s first game - 12 goals.
1949 - Grand Final - 73 point win over FC.
1950 - Grand Final - Back to Back.
1974 - Windy Hill brawl v Richmond.

Games I’d like to go again: (apart from the obvious 'Daniher '81, '84, '85, '93, etc…)

1978 - Where it all started for me: Round 12 v South Melbourne at the Lake Oval. First game I ever attended. A young Tim Watson bags 5 in the rain.

1983 - Cameron Clayton’s square up on Dipper for the hit on Rocky Stoneham earlier that season. I’d make sure I’d see the punch this time around.

1984 - Second Semi Final v Hawthorn. Narrow loss, but still one of the greatest games I’ve witnessed. Merv and Dipper going head to head on a wing all day. Awesome contest.

1991 - Round 7 v WCE, Windy Hill. Another narrow loss, but one of the gutsiest performances I’ve seen from an Essendon side.

1992 - Anzac Day comeback v Melbourne.

1993 - Round 6. Salmon v Ablett.

1996 - Bewick’s 9 goal comeback v Geelong

1997 - Round 22 v Adelaide. Harvey’s last game.

2017 - Round 1 v Hawthorn.

8 Likes

thankyou
i was there and also at the previous game when Neil Daniher won us the game against the Blues
I got confused

93 PF on Fox504 now

when the great Ronnie Andrews was king hit from behind by Stewart Gull who was a heavy weight boxer at Windy Hill

Ronnie played on and well despite that

1991 - Round 7 v WCE, Windy Hill. Another narrow loss, but one of the gutsiest performances I’ve seen from an Essendon side.

absolutely

think we had 16 players left

a great Sheedy coaching performance

2 Likes

Bewick - concussion, courtesy of Mark Harvey.
Long - broken ribs.
Heard - knee.
Salmon - hamstring.

Somerville’s massive skyscraper in the third quarter.
Simon Madden defying his age with an inspirational performance.

7 point loss. Standing ovation from a rabid crowd.

Windy Hill was jam packed. From memory, they closed the gates well before the first bounce.

One of the most memorable afternoons I’ve spent at the footy.

3 Likes

Bruce was wrong. Though I guess we’re talking about it a quarter of a century on.

So many other moments you could have mentioned: e.g. Adrian Burns taking the Big Bad Irving kick to the stomach and continuing, because there was no choice.

1 Like

P.S. Salmon was a groin issue, not hamstring. The leading mark he took late and then the kick to score killing him was brutal… not soft, as some may have labelled him.

1 Like

there was no standing ovation at half time when we were goal-less. We’re not st kilda.
at the final siren after we’d kicked the final 6-7 goals of the game was when they were applauded.

2 Likes

Where were you sitting? Where I was definitely standing ovation.

I suppose technically, it’s always a Standing Ovation in the Grog Squad, … :smirk:

1 Like

Madden… around Irving… what a kick! UNBELIEVABLE

2 Likes
4 Likes

I only recall applause after the match. I reckon people were ■■■■■■ off at half time. I was, I felt that we were playing like we thought we were never going to win so why bother and needed to get out of the doldrums. Then we did.

That was a great night; it was the VFL/AFL centenary match and as the curtain raiser they got a bunch of retired greats to play an exhibition game. I remember Barassi, Sam Newman our there - slow but still had skills and vision.

Then there were fireworks - first time I’d seen them at the ‘G

I also remember at some stage during the match calling out: “James Hird you will win the Brownlow.”

And then there was Boris. It was 9 goals 0 behinds if I remember correctly…

5 Likes

And his first game back from a knee reco as well. Was on fire that night.

2 Likes

You are correct, 9 goals straight and never looked like missing one.

2 Likes

Bittersweet night that one. Gain one champ back from a knee injury in spectacular fashion and lose another in Longy to the same type of injury.

4 Likes

Yep. Perfectly put.