In memoriam. Australian Journalism. Judd Wept

Doubt it, not sure any media group had it as an ‘exclusive’ or anything, it kinda just went via social media. Don’t think any money would have been made.

2 Likes

Meanjin pub night 16 June, 6pm Grace Darling Hotel Collingwood.
Margaret Simons and others to discuss whether journalism is dying or dead.

1 Like

Journalist apologised, article taken down, new version.
Zero apology from the SMH editor

2 Likes

The apology is paywalled. LOL.

2 Likes

You can access it through Andrew Hornery twitter account

Listening to an interview with Kerryn Phelps, faced with journos on the doorstep telling her they were about to out her in the nineties.
She said she had made no secret of the relationship, but had not publicised it. Partner was a schoolteacher, children from previous relationship lived with them. Her concern was about the children facing taunts at school, what the wider family would face from the publicity, plus the impact on her and her partner’s earnings from work.
Less a matter of legal privacy and of coming out of the closet , rather let people choose the timing of knowledge and the extent to how widespread it should be known.

There is no apology that can make up for that article.
You just can’t make That much of an about face in so short a time.
The journalist isn’t sorry for what they did, or what they wrote, they’re truly, truly sorry about the backlash.

2 Likes

SMH editor furious that she gazumped them.
A partner of a celeb may be newsworthy for clickbait journalism, but it’s muckraking to deem it newsworthy scandalous because of gender.

1 Like

So…the apology is worthless on all levels, then.
Let’s be clear, the editor didn’t write the story.

Unless the journalist wants to say they were forced to write it in exactly the way it was written.
I won’t hold my breath.

The editor has penned a note , featured in the SMH , he had nothing to do with what the gossip editor wrote, it was not an outing of Rebel, who had included the partner in her social media over several months, a few lines in the gossip column article had nothing to do with gender

A few lines?

Wtf

Go nuts mate

1 Like

He’s such a bevan.

2 Likes

I can’t even.
I am beyond the capacity to even.

Was that the ‘apology’?
Surely not.
That’s not an apology. Not to Wilson, and not to any of their readers who have an atom of morality in their bodies.

Edit: hahaha…’A note on Rebel Wilson.’

That was an apology from the Editor in charge.

Well…it wasn’t.
It was an explanation on why everyone should stop being so mad at them.
There is no scintilla of remorse.
No speck of an admission of wrongdoing.
If the original article wasn’t so obscene, I would consider whether the ‘apology’ was worse.
It’s not. But it’s close.

2 Likes

I stopped reading the Age/Sydney Morning Herald during the saga. A mighty masthead reduced to this bile of ■■■■.

6 Likes

They’re doubling down. “Private” Sydney. Jerks.

Its getting airplay over here on the far side of the world and being hammered for it too and rightly so. Totally screwed this up has SMH. When you’re in deep, stop digging is the sensible way. I couldn’t work out what the hell that “note” was trying to achieve when I saw it. Anyway Rebel playing this situation with proper dignity.

Otherwise a win for a decent journo like Carol C and FoI vs those dodgy BRexit backers and their interaction with Russia back in 2016.