Internet Piracy

The analogies they use are the worst. There was a great skit in the IT Crowd about it... "You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a baby. You wouldn't shoot a policeman. And then steal his helmet. You wouldn't go to the toilet in his helmet. And then send it to the policeman's grieving widow. And then steal it again! Downloading films is stealing. If you do it, you will face the consequences"

They need to stop thinking of it as a commodity industry and think of it instead as a service industry. Instead now they want it both ways - they want to treat it as a product AND a service, by which I mean things like iTunes not allowing flexibility in use without breaking the TOS.

The analogies they use are the worst. There was a great skit in the IT Crowd about it... "You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a baby. You wouldn't shoot a policeman. And then steal his helmet. You wouldn't go to the toilet in his helmet. And then send it to the policeman's grieving widow. And then steal it again! Downloading films is stealing. If you do it, you will face the consequences"

They need to stop thinking of it as a commodity industry and think of it instead as a service industry. Instead now they want it both ways - they want to treat it as a product AND a service, by which I mean things like iTunes not allowing flexibility in use without breaking the TOS.

The main people that are upset at Piracy are the corporations producing the content and backing the artists. What we are starting to see is an evolution where the artists have all the control and get all of the profits.

This is just semantics. With piracy, the copying reduces the potential/real income of the owner of the original - so it's pretty much stealing. 

No, it means the person who downloaded the content didn't feel that content was worth the price. I lost count of how many movies or t.v shows I have seen through downloading it, then because the content was so good, moved on to get the DVD.

Let's talk real semantics...everyone who used a VCR to record content, is that piracy?

Props to the first comedian to come out with, 'You wouldn't steal a car?  If I could download a car I farkin' would!'

This is just semantics. With piracy, the copying reduces the potential/real income of the owner of the original - so it's pretty much stealing.
No, it means the person who downloaded the content didn't feel that content was worth the price. I lost count of how many movies or t.v shows I have seen through downloading it, then because the content was so good, moved on to get the DVD.
Let's talk real semantics...everyone who used a VCR to record content, is that piracy?

So let's steal some stuff if we reckon it's not worth the price and if it turns out to be any good we might buy it?

I for one, have never pirated the internet.

Software, movies, music, tv shows, yes; the internet, no.

It's just too big.

So let's steal some stuff if we reckon it's not worth the price and if it turns out to be any good we might buy it?

Is it stealing if I watch a film, it is worth the money so I then go and purchase it? In that case is it stealing? No, stop trying to equate downloading to stealing a purse. Netflix, stand up comedians(Producing specials by themselves) and some musicians have shown if you content is good enough and worth the price they will pay for it.

The problem in this Country is we don't get content as it is released, it often costs more money than it does in the states and without Netflix you have to pay for Foxtel in order to get the content. Why isn't netflix in the Country?

The only people this really hurts are the wealthy corporations backing the artists. Artists will be better off going by themselves online. They can control the price, bring it down and take home a larger percentage of the profits.

Do you want to be real? Let's be real...the industry hurt the most by Internet piracy is the ■■■■ industry.

Think about this. I don't pirate NBA games anymore, nor do I do that with the UFC...why? It is available online, the content is great and the price affordable.

If I steal a toothbrush, that toothbrush cannot be sold. That stops the person from making money. If I download a tv show, they can still make money from that tv show. If the product is good enough I will pay for it, if I am unsure about it I will download the thing. If it sucks, bye, bye. If it is great I will spend, spend, spend.

Is it stealing if I watch a film, it is worth the money so I then go and purchase it? In that case is it stealing? No, stop trying to equate downloading to stealing a purse. Netflix, stand up comedians(Producing specials by themselves) and some musicians have shown if you content is good enough and worth the price they will pay for it.

The problem in this Country is we don't get content as it is released, it often costs more money than it does in the states and without Netflix you have to pay for Foxtel in order to get the content. Why isn't netflix in the Country?

The only people this really hurts are the wealthy corporations backing the artists. Artists will be better off going by themselves online. They can control the price, bring it down and take home a larger percentage of the profits.

Do you want to be real? Let's be real...the industry hurt the most by Internet piracy is the ■■■■ industry.

Think about this. I don't pirate NBA games anymore, nor do I do that with the UFC...why? It is available online, the content is great and the price affordable.

If I steal a toothbrush, that toothbrush cannot be sold. That stops the person from making money. If I download a tv show, they can still make money from that tv show. If the product is good enough I will pay for it, if I am unsure about it I will download the thing. If it sucks, bye, bye. If it is great I will spend, spend, spend.

LOL

Just to be sure

"If I steal a toothbrush, that toothbrush cannot be sold. That stops the person from making money."  So the person/company has to rely on other people actually paying for toothbrushes to make up for what you stole

"If I download a tv show, they can still make money from that tv show.So the person/company has to rely on other people actually paying for the tv show to make up for you not paying*. 

*or your benevolence if the show is up to scratch ;)

I think the real issue here is value.

Internet provided content has diminished the value of music, tv shows, and movies to almost zero, music particularly. 

People feel comfortable taking something off the internet through a torrent site that only has a 99 cent value, and even thats steep when it will sit in a mass of 10,000 or so songs on your iPod. Services like Spotify and Pandora have reduced the value even more.

It was only 10 years ago, you paid $30 for an album. That you could hold in your hands.

There is no perceived value in a 4mb file 

LOL

Just to be sure

"If I steal a toothbrush, that toothbrush cannot be sold. That stops the person from making money."  So the person/company has to rely on other people actually paying for toothbrushes to make up for what you stole

"If I download a tv show, they can still make money from that tv show." So the person/company has to rely on other people actually paying for the tv show to make up for you not paying*. 

*or your benevolence if the show is up to scratch ;)

Maybe a better analogy is driving a car above the speed limit. We all tend to do it from time to time. It's illegal and the penalties and consequences are harsher, but you only get a penalty when you are caught or injure / kill someone.

With regards to downloading the show, if I choose to watch it on TV and record it then skip the ads, then someone is also missing out. The TV stations need to pay for their content and in return to giving you free content you bypass the ads which pays for it.

To me there should be all options available. Free = 320p, $$ = 720p, $ = 720p with some ads $$$$ = 1080p or $$ with some ads. For music just substitute the image quality for sound compression quality. EVERYONE wins in this scenario as everything is traced exactly and there would be no valid reason to copy.

If JB Hi-Fi had a place where you could download from record companies' catalogs at broadband speed for $1 per song, maybe $2 per song for current and premium content, I reckon I'd use it.

I'm not going to pretend downloading isn't stealing, music in particular, but it's more about availability than cost.

Say I wanna buy the song Pump Up The Volume.  I can't buy that on its own.  To buy it legally I'd have buy some sort of album for $20 on cd, a format I don't want, if I can even find it.

Y'know, that or use itunes and ■■■■ the hell out of that.

I'm so tired of seeing people pretend they're taking the moral high ground over this. I don't see why you "deserve" to see/listen to content for free.

I pirate stuff because I can do it easily, and get away with it. That's it. No other justification. If I could steal a car with no one noticing or objecting then I would do that, too.

Like the comedian said, if you could download a car you totally would.

I'm with Simmo.

It's stealing.  I do it because it's easy, not because I have some sort of moral right to do it or because corporations are so corporationy.

I'm so tired of seeing people pretend they're taking the moral high ground over this. I don't see why you "deserve" to see/listen to content for free.

I pirate stuff because I can do it easily, and get away with it. That's it. No other justification. If I could steal a car with no one noticing or objecting then I would do that, too.

What low moral ground are you actually taking here? You would steal a car as long as no one noticed or objected? I can't imagine anyone who owns a car not objecting to you stealing it and how on earth would you know a piori?

Hello?  Tap tap.  Is this thing working?

What low moral ground are you actually taking here?

Uh, openly admitting that what I am doing is illegal and being completely okay with that.

You would steal a car as long as no one noticed or objected? I can't imagine anyone who owns a car not objecting to you stealing it and how on earth would you know a piori?

Well, yeah, that's my point. if someone specifically objected to me stealing a car (as it is with most cases in reality), then I wouldn't do it. Similarly, if the lawyers of [movie studio] knocked on my door and said "simmo can you please stop that", I would.

I don't know a piori.

Uh, openly admitting that what I am doing is illegal and being completely okay with that.

You would steal a car as long as no one noticed or objected? I can't imagine anyone who owns a car not objecting to you stealing it and how on earth would you know a piori?

Well, yeah, that's my point. if someone specifically objected to me stealing a car (as it is with most cases in reality), then I wouldn't do it. Similarly, if the lawyers of [movie studio] knocked on my door and said "simmo can you please stop that", I would.

I don't know a piori.

Admitting something you are doing is illegal may not necessarily be morally wrong if the laws are unjust.  I was just wondering whether you steal just if you can get away with it or whether you steal if you can get away with it and you have made some sort of judgement of the consequences.

I think that you can pretty much assume that 'the lawyers of the movie studio' are going to object to what you are doing so they don't really need to come to your door and ask you. 

I don't know a piori.

Admitting something you are doing is illegal may not necessarily be morally wrong if the laws are unjust.  I was just wondering whether you steal just if you can get away with it or whether you steal if you can get away with it and you have made some sort of judgement of the consequences.

I think that you can pretty much assume that 'the lawyers of the movie studio' are going to object to what you are doing so they don't really need to come to your door and ask you. 

Maybe next time, try reading the posts first.

Where exactly the questions you're asking, were answered.

Twice.

I don't know a piori.
Admitting something you are doing is illegal may not necessarily be morally wrong if the laws are unjust. I was just wondering whether you steal just if you can get away with it or whether you steal if you can get away with it and you have made some sort of judgement of the consequences.
Maybe next time, try reading the posts first.
Where exactly the questions you're asking, were answered.
Twice.

Rubbish

For a start if someone says they are taking the low moral ground in stealing something as long as no one notices and the owner doesn’t object, I see no low moral ground there. I was asking for a clarification about what the moral issue was and the answer I got was to do with whether something was illegal.