IS DON, IS GOOD

Phwoar! better go take out a second mortgage

1 Like

Honest question. Is there actually that much of a domestic pork market? Iā€™d assumed the vast majority of it was imported.

Serious, you are offended by DonKRC being owned by an overseas company?
Don is the biggest employer in regional Victoria, with around 1,300 people, while Tip Top employs around 4,100.
We are sponsored by Fujitsu (Japanese), Yakult (Japanese), Coca Cola (USA), Hankook (Korean) & Mantra hotels (French I believe).
I worked for both George Weston Foods (British) & Goodman Fielder (Australian) & the pommy business was by far the better mob to work for.
BTW, the overseas pork comes from Denmark & Canada.

7 Likes

I was sure Iā€™d heard that Denmark produces the vast majority of pork world wide. I could be way off, but this seems to support it to some degree.

Our only number 1 draft pick also happens to be a Canadian import.

2 Likes

China & Vietnam are probably the biggest producers of pork, but their domestic consumption is huge, so relatively little is exported. (In the case of China relatively little may still be a very large number)
But with the current epidemic of swine flu decimating their pigs Don would much more likely to export pork to China.
Like when Kochie is sent there for the annual Shanghai game.

1 Like

Big talk in the Country Hour today about the pork producers marketā€¦they reckon itā€™s just too hard to make a quid these days.

@SpicedRum I reckon the love for Don goes pretty deep- this is a brand which has been proudly Essendon in its name, advertising its own product, its colours and its financial support for the EFC, not least on the jumper. You are right to draw attention to the potential for it improving, but it is about the Bomberiest sponsor I could name.

Having said that, the support of Kia etc through the Saga does not go unnoticed.

Big subsidies paid to Canadian & Danish pig farmers, our blokes get none, they are not all on a level playing field.
This is probably the issue that Spiced rum should be pizzed about, not DonKRC being our sponsors.
Xmas ham on the bone is always Australian, canā€™t import pork on the bone.

Iā€™m fairly sure Iā€™ve seen videos on the internet that implied otherwise.

I never said it was as an issue that it was owned by the british, i said it is not owned by the local Gilbertson family as it was being portrayed by Capilanoā€¦ which is disturbingā€¦ well its a lie really. that was my point.

And my issue is the EFC while DON is using imported pork while we support country roundā€¦ which is a hypocrisy.
We dont support Aussie air conditioner roundā€¦ so i have no problem with fujistu.

That said, the analogy is an simple oneā€¦ we dont support LG Air cons while we support Fujistu Air cons.

likewise, we dont support companies that dont support Aussie farmers by using there produceā€¦ while we also support aussie farmers.

Need to be consistent.

Ohh yehā€¦ i love it, it is the absolute perfect fitā€¦ ever since i was a kid and saw the classic adverts, the name essendon-Don with Donā€¦ kind of nrth west suburbsā€¦ you could not ask for a better fit for both partys.

But, thats not the same don, and we support country round. We have a huge glut of Austrlian pork which is no being used as imports are cheaper for processors.
EFC has to be making a stand about purchasing product of Australia to support our farmersā€¦ and unfortunately that means letting Don go IMO.

This is the inherrent problem of clubs jumping on every bandwagon or Cause they canā€¦ they forget what they signed up for and end up all over the shopā€¦
One week they are promoting australian produce, the next they are advertising imported pork products. They really need to pull there head in.

Was Don sponsoring us at the time of the Country game. I thought theyā€™d just recently come back on board.

And Don, when owned by Gilbertson, was a huge Essendon company.

I dont believe so, but the Country round is a all but a permanent fixture, so going forward i canā€™t see how the DON sponsorship is tenable, it will need to be ended by the end of the year or pull out of country round to support australian farmers and there produce.

Im sure they where, butā€¦ they are owned by people who care more about premier league now.

I really canā€™t work out if youā€™re serious, ā€¦ or taking the pizz. :thinking:

1 Like

I could again absolutely be missing something here, but from the brisk skim I did of info on the Aus pork reports on their web page, if we were to try and keep Australian pork in Australia, to meet domestic demand for pork, we would be crippling farmers by forcing them to come down price points similar to existing and rob them of the more lucrative export dollars. Selling Aus pork overseas for more money than weā€™re willing to pay and importing pork from OS to meet consumer pricing demands here, seems logical from most points with the exception of food miles. I feel like my message here might be read as aggressive, thatā€™s absolutely not my intent, Iā€™m just trying to get my head around this suddenly interesting industry.

1 Like

I gather weā€™d need to eliminate that pesky drought too.

If you look at it as purely economical your probably got it right.
But that is also a very convoluted set up as wellā€¦ we are robbing peter to pay paul, and moving pork past each other so someone can save money (think about the food milesā€¦that alone is enough to make you cringe when the Pork is allready here).
This probably means there is some major problems with trade deals.
Some procesors are using Australian pork, there is no shortage and from my understanding a glutā€¦ (probably because the local market has dried up on the processing side for small goods.)

At the end of the day, for what ever reason they buy imported pork is not the issue.
The issue is EFC being consistent when backing a cause or issueā€¦ you need to be ethical and follow it through.
They should be looking for smallgood producers who use 100% australian productā€¦ which means backing farmers. Even if they take a hit on revenue from sponsorship. push Australian product is supporting the country by supporting Australian farmersā€¦ thats the only thing EFC should be concerned with.

Im seriousā€¦ i take buying Australian produce seriouslyā€¦
1: supporting local economy and jobs
2: food miles are reduced = less waste and CO2 output

And EFC are obligated as they entered into country round.

2 Likes

See, ā€¦ but theyā€™re not.

I see what youā€™re getting at, ā€¦ but itā€™s nothing.

When I think of the country, I think of Beef, Dairy, and Sheep farms for a start. Smallgoods are a really little thing. :smirk: (SWIDT?)

But it certainly wouldnā€™t hurt us to get a sponsor in the vein you speak of, even if only for that Gameā€¦ but when I try to think of one, ā€¦ itā€™s actually not easy. Incitec Pivot?? (Sort of Aussie?? :thinking: )

I certainly doubt any Cockies would be happy if we were sponsored by ANY ripoff Milk producer, ā€¦ so ā€¦Aussie Wool Board maybe?