Is there another agenda?

As a Rickman, Giles is rated somewhere south of Colyer. If he plays you know we have found the bottom of the barrel.

To look at the question in a different angle, do we think if Bellchambers was fit we would have two ruckman in the senior team (Belly and Smack) or just one? From the evidence we saw this year, likely it would only be one still. Most people here had it some time back that Smack had passed Giles in the pecking order of our ruck stocks some time back so playing one ruckman is playing Smack. Adding Giles would make Giles the support ruck, would having him as our second ruck improve our stoppage work considerably when we rotate Smack out for a rest?

A lot are pointing to 2 ruckman will improve our structure, make our forward line more potent. Well… in the VFL Giles has 14 goals from 12 games, and Smack 12 from 7 games… combined that is a contribution of 3 goals a game at VFL level. That will erode at AFL level and make our forward line slower and easier to escape from.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in the play Giles camp but there is considerable arguments to not playing him and it has nothing to do with agendas.

The coaches don’t give a ruck, that much is certain.

As a Rickman, Giles is rated somewhere south of Colyer. If he plays you know we have found the bottom of the barrel.

No. Bottom of the barrel would playing a guy who got his ■■■ handed to him the week before as the lone semi-recognised ruckman, with a 190cm non-ruckman (non-anything really) and a 200cm developing forward as support.

If Giles is SO bad then why did he we target him in the preseason and lure him away from Adelaide’s more attractive offer of more years and more money?

What’s keeping him out of a side that is basically made up of players with than then 30 games? I mean, everyone else is getting a shot, why not a recognised ruckman with form in the VFL when we are desperately crying out for one?

Either Hirdy has lost the plot, Giles insulted his mum, or something else very odd is at play.

Select one or more of the following answers:
A Hirdy has lost the plot
B Giles insulted his mum,
C Something else very odd is at play
D (a late entrant) … When we recruited him we thought he was better than he turned out to be.

He can’t ride a bike without falling off. What makes you think he can drive a tank?

Oh! It’s a tank? I thought it was a meat cleaver and the red circles below were the ■■■■■■ neck stumps of the players that Hirdy has been chopping…

I got as far as "we all know" and stopped reading. About the only thing we all know is that we don't all agree on anything. All I see is a bunch of people ■■■■■■■■ and moaning about Giles' non-selection and Steinberg in general. I think neither of those things are indicitative of jack ■■■■■■■ ■■■■.

If anyone thinks Giles playing last week means we win, they’re an idiot. If anyone thinks Steinberg on Brown either in the final last year, or the game last weekend are the reasons we lost, they are an idiot. I don’t believe in “my country right or wrong” but I do believe that criticism should be proportional and fair, and neither the Giles nor the Steinberg criticisms getting bandied about here are that. They certainly don’t indicate a conspiracy. Seriously, “another agenda”? Or is this more subtlety?

I don’t think i’ve seen anyone suggest we’d win if Giles played. Hell I don’t see anyone even suggesting he’d play well.
the main jist has been, surely he’s worth a shot to relieve mckernan from playing in a position he isn’t suited to for the majority of the game.

you want proportional and fair criticism of the situation, yet you make up stuff to cloud the situation, but for the simple fact, people want a ruckman to play in the ruck position, no matter how “badly” he supposedly is being portrayed by the coaches to have been performing.
cos bad performances aren’t a reason to this coaching group to remove players from the side. there’s been plently of examples thorughout our recent history, let alone this season, unless you honestly believe 4 disposal games are great games.

if you want to hide behind the “coaches know best mantra” like the typical sycophants, the hird thread is just over there.

No. Bottom of the barrel would playing a guy who got his ■■■ handed to him the week before as the lone semi-recognised ruckman, with a 190cm non-ruckman (non-anything really) and a 200cm developing forward as support.

If Giles is SO bad then why did he we target him in the preseason and lure him away from Adelaide’s more attractive offer of more years and more money?

What’s keeping him out of a side that is basically made up of players with than then 30 games? I mean, everyone else is getting a shot, why not a recognised ruckman with form in the VFL when we are desperately crying out for one?

Either Hirdy has lost the plot, Giles insulted his mum, or something else very odd is at play.

D (a late entrant) … When we recruited him we thought he was better than he turned out to be.

I think it’s all of the above. But just to be clear, did Giles insult his own mum or Hirdy’s?

At least I had a good laugh at some posts after looking at the saga. But they say the pool is too shallow to tank !

I think it’s all of the above. But just to be clear, did Giles insult his own mum or Hirdy’s?

It was Sarah

Sorry G, but it’s an absolute fact.
Sources for this are about as good as it gets.

For that reason I would bring Giles in to support McKernan in the ruck, send Hooker back and drop Steinberg who continues to demonstrate to me he is not AFL standard.

ROCKET SCIENCE.

Where did you study such stunning match day selection skills?

on the actual issue of this thread. personally think it’s just pure stubborness by hird, and it’s gotten to the point that if he plays giles and doesn’t perform as putrid as he’s been portrayed, it’s another issue he’ll be found out to have had bad judgement on.

I don’t get the illogical on multiple fronts.
If we are supposedly tanking surely you’d want a guy in there you don’t rate, who you think is ■■■■ and won’t do any good to you know get a loss if we are tanking.

I don’t think giles would play that well in the ruck, don’t think he’d be the difference between us winning or losing, just like i didn’t think it about mckernan being in the ruck for the majority of games.

What i do think playing giles would do is allow us to find out about mckernan’s viability as a long term option as a chf/ruck chop out and 3rd tall option.

instead they are disrupting our AA backman to throw him forward (despite the fact it didnt’ work long term for hurley, hasn’t worked for carlisle so far and there’s no indication it’ll pay off for hooker).

they are then playing steinberg down back, to which they deliberately went out and recruited someone to play infront of him this season, and realistically shouldn’t be on our list next year, so there’s no point playing him either under that guise of, oh but giles won’t be there next year crap.

It’s funny though, how many have bagged melbourne and carlton over the journey for their “tanking”, yet are turning around now and laughing at the fact we are doing it , but because we are doing it, it’s somehow a genius move.

All the while with the fact we don’t ■■■■■■■ need to tank, we’ve lost more ■■■■■■■ games this season trying to win, so we don’t have to “aim” to lose, they’ll do it on their own terms based on this years output.

also out of curiosity, what is the point of moving hooker forward if we are tanking ?
he’s supposedly down there to help kick goals, but if our aim isn’t to win and or score heavily, what’s the point ?

Shouldn't of drafted him then

Ace, there was nobody else.

He can’t ride a bike without falling off. What makes you think he can drive a tank?

Oh! It’s a tank? I thought it was a meat cleaver and the red circles below were the ■■■■■■ neck stumps of the players that Hirdy has been chopping…

At first I thought Hirdy was in a pressure cooker.

Maybe the club just wants to win a flag, any flag, this year and thinks the VFL flag is its best bet?

It’s probably reluctant to promote Giles to the senior side and mess with a successful formula with the VFL side.

Maybe…just maybe.

lol, half our vfl team is playing afl right now.

This Giles thing is getting out of hand.

Yep, I’m very much in the ‘why only play three key position players and an undersized ruckman’ camp, and I think we’ve got the rucks wrong all year. But I’ve also said that 1000 times so far, and it probably doesn’t really need any more repeating.

But fark me, this Giles stuff has taken over every thread on the board, and it really doesn’t matter that much. I think everybody who thinks Giles should be playing needs to just stfu about it for now. The point has been made.

So while I agree it’s annoying seeing 1000 posts sooking about Giles, it’s far more annoying seeing the posts of people sooking about people sooking about Giles.

If we all just shut up about it, then we wont have to read anymore about how Goldstein ‘wasn’t that good last week’ or that giles has ‘only played 1 good game in the VFL’, or how he’s ‘not up to AFL standard.’

The ability of Blitz to make every argument into ‘The coaches are Gods, they know everything’ V ‘The coaches are morons, us forum members know more,’ has rendered this discussion pointless.

Stop hating my tank you ■■■■■■! ha

no I'm pretty sure they looked into the future saw he wasn't going to live up to expectations and decided to draft him anyway. It's like they went out of their way to act in keeping with the retarded narrative people wanting to lash out in irrational disappointment would tell.