Is this really Australia in 2015?

MIGRANT workers paid $3.95 an hour. Working 22 hour shifts. Forced to sleep on dog beds. And some even perform sexual favours to extend their visa.

These are the horrific slave-like conditions faced by farm workers on 417 working holiday visas across Australia.

An investigation by Four Corners has uncovered the shocking exploitation of foreign workers that occurs on Australian farms supplying our biggest supermarkets.

Black market gangs of contractors are acting as the middle men and supplying workers to Australian farms and factories where they are routinely underpaid, harassed and abused while working in low skilled jobs.

Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, Costco and IGA are all implicated in the allegations, as are fast food chains KFC and Red Rooster.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/four-corners-investigation-reveals-exploitation-and-slave-like-conditions-on-farms-supplying-aussie-supermarkets/story-fnkgbb6w-1227334597548

Of course. Why do you think big business and their “buck-hugger” cronies wanted these visas? Not only do they save more $$$ it puts downwards pressure on Australian workers and unions

ABC told a massive furphy about this a while ago. They said fruit pickers get hard working migrants because local unemployed aren’t interested. Lying carnts at ABC of course didn’t explain that it’s because they like exploiting migrant workers. My partner is from overseas, he actually spoke to someone who was gonna put him up in a shed with no electricity. This would’ve been smack bang in the middle of a freezing Warrnambool as well. Fortunately he found a decent paid job that counted as rural work instead.

Does this extend to all the ‘Thai massage’ places that are seemingly on every second corner these days. I saw one staff member out the front of the local one the other day and her work attire was revealing to say the least.

It’s not unrelated, if you’ll excuse the double negative.
This page notes that the appropriate US authorities have issues with our working visa program.
http://www.humantrafficking.org/countries/australia

Having said that, #notallthaimassageplaces are sexual.

As someone who was on a connecting flight through Thailand recently there were WAY too many old guys flying on their own. At least six in our section of the plane alone.

Creeps.

As someone who was on a connecting flight through Thailand recently there were WAY too many old guys flying on their own. At least six in our section of the plane alone.

Creeps.

Uh huh.

Does this extend to all the 'Thai massage' places that are seemingly on every second corner these days. I saw one staff member out the front of the local one the other day and her work attire was revealing to say the least.
So... Where are the street corners you mention? I'm only asking because I have a stiff

Neck

Creeps.

few of my mates Dads who’s wives have passed away and/or are divorced go to Thailand all the time.

A couple of them now have new wives.

and good on em.

1 Like

Creeps.

few of my mates Dads who’s wives have passed away and/or are divorced go to Thailand all the time.

and good on em.

Feeling the love, or at least something...

If it’s a mutually beneficial arrangement then fine. As with migrant/tourist workers though, the question is who sets the terms and defines the ‘benefits’

Creeps.

and good on em.

Feeling the love, or at least something...

If it’s a mutually beneficial arrangement then fine. As with migrant/tourist workers though, the question is who sets the terms and defines the ‘benefits’

They’re going overseas, so isn’t really about the OP.

Back on topic: We get a lot of Korean construction worked on the GC, living in extremely cramped conditions and drastically undercutting local workers hourly wages.

Some times I wonder if social motivation and control through competition for an abstract numerical unit by which everything is assigned a value doesn’t contribute to a lessening of the value of human life.

Still the proof is in the pudding and this just works.

Creeps.

and good on em.

No one that wears sandals and socks on an international flight deserves happiness.

Creeps.

and good on em.

No one that wears sandals and socks on an international flight deserves happiness.

This is true.

Does this extend to all the 'Thai massage' places that are seemingly on every second corner these days. I saw one staff member out the front of the local one the other day and her work attire was revealing to say the least.

btw they are mostly Korean and Taiwanese girls on Student Visa’s or Working Holiday Visa’s.

Personally I don’t like starting up threads but I just finished responding to a post on the Foreign Aid Cut thread I reluctantly initiated (because there’s no politics thread) when it disappeared mid post.
I apologise for using this thread for this post but the thread title does fit the theme of the post which is a response to a recently posted comment.

By my count this is going to be the 4th savage cut to aid since the end of the bipartisan commitment to 0.5 of GDP.
Foreign Aid is the whipping boy because there’s no votes in it. It’s suffered greater percentage cuts than any other funding area, and by some distance- 25% of TOTAL budget cuts have come from aid according to Oxfam. We’re now down to 32 cents per hundred dollars of GDP and the proposed cuts will take us down to 22 cents per hundred dollars, the lowest figure in 60 years. https://www.oxfam.org.au/explore/millennium-development-goals/campaign-for-australian-aid/australias-aid-effort/
By comparison Britain, which was hit hard by the GFC, gives 70 cents.

Yes, you can set up programs in Africa that help to save the sight of countless human beings but it doesn’t translate into electoral advantage apparently. A few press articles that few want to read and then it disappears and we prepare for the next cut.
What the ■■■■ is wrong with us that we don’t celebrate our capacity to help others less fortunate?

They are going to cut aid to Indonesia, that’s a given, the only exceptions are likely to be Papua New Guinea, Cambodia and Nauru because of their role in the off shore detention policy, it’s nothing to do with need (although there is great need in those 3 nations, that’s why they were open to our bribery in the first place.)

A number of poor African nations have pleaded with us to reconsider the cuts but our relevant minister doesn’t want to respond.

Australia is a rich country, we can afford to give 50 cents for every hundred dollars of our GDP to our poorer neighbours. Britain does more and, Christ, look at the handouts to negative gearers and middle and upper class superannuantion that dwarf nearly all other budget items.
I know who I’d rather receive the help.

Gurge if you wish.

Creeps.

That is a bit judgemental.

Some of us old guys go to Thailand and further on, for business and sometimes for pleasure. As long as they are not buggering children or doing things illegal, why should you care.

g

Creeps.

That is a bit judgemental.

Some of us old guys go to Thailand and further on, for business and sometimes for pleasure. As long as they are not buggering children or doing things illegal, why should you care.

I strongly believe Australian workers should have fair pay and conditions and an opportunity decent lifestyle but man if some thai girls gotta ■■■■ old aussies to eat, hot diggety dog - blitz labor rep.

How do you know that the old guys are pedo’s?

They might be Catholic priests…

1 Like