Isis

Less than twelve months ago people were saying how evil the Syrian Government was and how badly it needed to be eliminated.
Want to guess who the rebels are that Assad is fighting?
I also remember when Iraq was invaded to get rid of that evil ■■■■■■■ Saddam.

On that first bit, bullshit. On the second bit, fair enough, as he kept a largely secular balance.

Less than twelve months ago people were saying how evil the Syrian Government was and how badly it needed to be eliminated.

On that first bit, bullshit. On the second bit, fair enough, as he kept a largely secular balance.

I didn't mean people on here were saying it DJR. The press definately were

Can someone infiltrate the terrorist into thinking that the other terrorist groups are USA so they start bombing themselves. ■■■■■■■ pathetic world we live in to still have this ■■■■. 

Isn't ISIS just SIRI for Samsung?

Isn't ISIS just SIRI for Samsung?

Nah.
ISIS is the enemy of the hotel chain. IBIS. ISIS only handle the extra expenses from the mini bar in an alternative fashion.

the syrian rebels are actually fighting Isis.  they are not one and the same.  they recently killed one of the top Isis commanders in northern syria.

the syrian rebels are actually fighting Isis. they are not one and the same. they recently killed one of the top Isis commanders in northern syria.
FSA and ISIS and different groups but have the same common objective: to destroy the Syrian/Iraqi Government and kill innocent civilians.

The Isis objective goes well beyond removing Assad. Even the FSA appear to have realized Isis needs to be fought. I’m not sure that Isis wanting to bring down Assad should be seen as proof of the decency of Assads regime.

So are ISIS/ISIL/FSA and all these other boy bands just different streams of Al'Qaeda? With some more radical than others?

The Isis objective goes well beyond removing Assad. Even the FSA appear to have realized Isis needs to be fought.

Indeed. They want to conquer and absorb Syria into a greater Islamic caliphate. The FSA have a more Syrian nationalistic agenda focused around the removal of Assad.

So are ISIS/ISIL/FSA and all these other boy bands just different streams of Al'Qaeda? With some more radical than others?

Not really. ISIS shares a lot of history with Al Qaeda, but these days are a completely separate organisation. Al Qaeda cut ties because ISIS became too nasty and extreme even for them.

Not really. Certainly not the FSA, which as far as I can tell are remote from Al Qaeda.
Isis appears built on remnants of Saddams military.

The Isis objective goes well beyond removing Assad. Even the FSA appear to have realized Isis needs to be fought.

Indeed. They want to conquer and absorb Syria into a greater Islamic caliphate. The FSA have a more Syrian nationalistic agenda focused around the removal of Assad.

Which is weird, since the FSA isn't entirely made up of 'Syrians'. In fact, only a very small portion of FSA are Syrians. Some are Checans, Pakistani, Indonesian, so on etc

Which is weird, since the FSA isn't entirely made up of 'Syrians'. In fact, only a very small portion of FSA are Syrians. Some are Checans, Pakistani, Indonesian, so on etc

Not sure where you got that from. From what info i can find, the majority of FSA are syrian. But that whole region is a bewildering mix of apparently conflicting politics and religion.

Not sure where you got that from. From what info i can find, the majority of FSA are syrian. But that whole region is a bewildering mix of apparently conflicting politics and religion.

Yes, I know it's wikipedia, but it does have its relevant sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_rebel_fighters_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War

"The total number of foreign fighters was estimated to be the largest for Libyans with several hundred fighters; Saudis numbered at least 330; several hundred Egyptian Islamists; about 300 Iraqis and over 500 Jordananians"

<span>Foreign opposition fighters killed</span><span style="font-size:small;font-weight:normal;margin-left:1em;"><span style="color:rgb(85,85,85);margin-left:0px;">[</span><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Casualties_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War&amp;action=edit&amp;section=7' title="Edit section: Foreign opposition fighters killed">edit</a><span style="margin-left:0px;color:rgb(85,85,85);">]</span></span>

16,855 foreign opposition fighters have been killed by late August 2014, according to the SOHR.[3]

9,936 foreign opposition fighters were killed by late December 2013, according to the Jihadist Salafist Movement in Jordan, with the nationalities being as follows: 1,902 Tunisians, 1,807 Libyans, 1,432 Iraqis, 828 Lebanese, 821 Egyptians, 800 Palestinians, 714 Saudis, 571 Yemenis, 412 Moroccans, 274 Algerians, 202 Jordanians, 91 Omanis, 71 Kuwaitis, 42 Somalis, 30 Albanians and Caucasians, 21 Bahrainis, 9 Emiratis, 8 Qataris, 3 Sudanese and 1 Mauritanian.[76] The London-based European Centre for Syria Research put the number of Saudis killed even higher at 729 a month earlier in November 2013.[77] The jihadist movement updated the number of Jordanians killed by late May 2014 to 342.[78]

According to Abu Omar al-Shishani, the Chechen ISIS commander, 500 militants from the Caucasus had been killed by mid-January 2014 since the start of the war.[79]

The nationalities of some others are as follows: 112 Azerbaijanis,[80][81] 90 Turks,[82][83] 57 Albanians,[84][85][86] 19-31 Britons,[87][88][89] 30 Frenchmen,[90] 22 Belgians,[91][92][93] 21 Germans,[94] 20 Bosniaks,[95][96] 16 Danes,[97] 13 Afghans,[14][98] 12 Swedes,[99] 12-19 Australians,[100][101][102] 10 Dutch,[103] 9 Americans,[104][105][106] 8-11 Norwegian,[107] 8 Russians,[108] 6 Canadians,[109] 4 Maldivians,[110] 3 Irishmen,[111][112] 3 Pakistanis,[113] 3 Tajiks,[114] 2 Chinese,[115] 2 Italians,[66][116] 2 Eritreans,[113] 2 Finns,[117] 2 Indonesians,[113][110] 2 Kyrgyz,[114] 2 Malaysians,[118] 2 Mauritanians,[119] 2 Uzbeks,[14][120] 1 Armenian,[113] 1 Bulgarian,[120] 1 Chadian,[98] 1 Indian,[121] 1 Iranian,[113] 1 Israeli-Arab,[122] 1 Romanian[113] and 1 Spaniard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War#Foreigners_killed

I find it so difficult to comprehend that there is a group to radical for Al'Qaeda.

Not that it really matters, Bombers08, but that page lists 16,000 foreign fighter deaths, but total opposition fighter deaths at up to 115,000. And not all are related to FSA. That chechen commander and his men were fighting for Isis, for example.

The Free Syrian Army is listed as an estimated strength of 50,000 men. Your wiki page lists an estimate of 5 to 10 thousand foreign sunni fighters having participated in various opposition organisation’s. Hence my doubt about your claim that the majority of FSA members are not Syrian.

But whatever. The whole place is a shambles. Beheadings, civilian massacres, chemical weapons, sectarian radicals on both sides ( I hadn’t realized so many Shia had crossed the borders to fight for the gov). Absolute disaster.

The  I.S.  showcasing beheading is all about spin and posturing, to achieve the reactions that have happened and are yet to happen. Their reasoning is unclear, at least to me, but beheading is normal for that part of the world. The Saudis knock off their criminals and political enemies that way all the time. Dead is dead whether it's from being stabbed to death by a bullet or having your head removed with a sharp knife. People on here who know about killing sheep will also know that the humans killed in this way by the IS would be totally dead within two or at most, three seconds. Anyway, my point is that the head removal focus is not the issue. The issue for me is we should not be getting involved in any way at all, except humanitarian. It has been said that certain politicians in Australia, from both sides of the argument, have blood on their hands from the last stupid foray into the Middle East. Perhaps it's now a case of in for a penny, in for a pound.

The  I.S.  showcasing beheading is all about spin and posturing, to achieve the reactions that have happened and are yet to happen. There reasoning is unclear, at least to me, but beheading is normal for that part of the world. The Saudis knock off their criminals and political enemies that way all the time. Dead is dead whether it's from being stabbed to death by a bullet or having your head removed with a sharp knife. People on here who know about killing sheep will also know that the humans killed in this way by the IS would be totally dead within two or at most, three seconds. Anyway, my point is that the head removal focus is not the issue. The issue for me is we should not be getting involved in any way at all, except humanitarian. It has been said that certain politicians in Australia, from both sides of the argument, have blood on their hands from the last stupid foray into the Middle East. Perhaps it's now a case of in for a penny, in for a pound.

yes let them kill each other and just sit back and feel superior and do nothing, pretty much the same philosophy that was used by appeasers to Hitler. We are a developed country that knows right from wrong and have a responsibility to save people who are persecuted or about to be massacred. One cannot ignore this and say they are a moral person  If it is difficult or if you may lose is no excuse for not doing what should be done.