ISO Sunday Session: Which Freezer Pie brand is best?

I lived down the road from their bakehouse/shop in East Brunny, hit that ■■■■ up on the reg, so good

1 Like

Yes but I can remember 3… no, 4 things.

Sergeants Pies a bit more expensive - but its all in the taste.

Knocking over a Sergeants Chunky Premium Aussie Angus right now actually.

Very good.

4 Likes

One of those Gillies brothers had a son (whom I went to uni with). His name, and I kid you not: Simon.

2 Likes

If we’re talking supermarket freezer pies as per OP the result of “extensive research” Herbert Adams Pepper Steak sit at top of the shelf

Locally though “Maugers Butchers” opposite Burrawang Pub here NSW Southern Highlands make their own steak pies which are absolutely the benchmark. We used to call ahead to get them to heat some up for us at lunchtime

1 Like

A good alternative is a good baked beef empanada. It’s not local, but there’s a great bakery in Glebe Point Road in Sydney called Cafe Bariloche.

Bariloche is in Argentinian Patagonia and was favoured by Nazis after the war. Looks very German. See the movie The German Doctor about Mengele and his continued obsession with twins.

1 Like

For freezer pies, I actually don’t mind the Aldi premium brand ones. Patties party pies are unconditionally the best party pies on the market.

1 Like

Bariloche is a fantastic town. Chocolate, Beer. What more could you ask?

There’s a South American place in Brunswick near Anstey Station that does a very good empanada. (and also alfajores)

There used to be a good pie shop or van at the top of the Bulli Pass

We had a milk bar next door to our primary school. And yes, I am old enough that some of the lollies (choc buds etc) were just one cent. You’d pick out a mix of things worth, say, twenty cents and get them in a little paper bag.

5 Likes

There’s the “Famous Robertson Pie Shop” at the top of Jamberoo Mtn Rd / Macquarie Pass. That might be what you’re thinking of
Their pies aren’t as “famous” as they used to be tho

1 Like

Ex-Nazis.

boscastle.

2 Likes

I kid of assumed they were all dead by now.

That said, Argentina in general seems pretty racist, against South Americans.

I remember when you could buy 2 choc buds for one cent - Lots of fun could be had for ten cents.

1 Like

Or 4 mates/cobbers for 1 cent

5 Likes

You guys are old.

3 Likes

Going way off topic, but if we’re talking old lollies a mate posed one the other day, and I can’t work out the answer. An old marshmallow type bar, round, white marshmallow, then in the middle pink marshmallow is shapes (eg star). Thin chocolate around the outside. Anyone got any idea what they were called?