Jack Watts

Discuss

Jack V²/R

• popcorn ready *
1 Like

I think he would be a good pick up for next year. Send Carlisle back.

We’re not the type of club that recruits average players and turns them into stars.

We’re the team that plays against average players and turns them into stars.

3 Likes

My reaction after seeing the title

He’s the only genuine bust at #1 of the last fifteen years. When he was last out of contract, I would have been interested in him for a lateish pick, now I really don’t know if he’d be worth a spot on the list. He’s got no confidence in himself, and zero natural aggression.

If we did get him I wouldn’t be outraged or anything, just as long as it wasn’t for a pick under, say, 40.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he went to a good team (for peanuts) and developed into a decent player without any expectations on him to be one of the better players in the team. I’d be staggered if he becomes anything worthwhile at Melbourne.

I’d consider him if he wasn’t so sh*t at footy.

Discuss

No.

Case for getting Jack Watts

• Will be the only way we ever get a number one draft pick.

Case against getting Jack Watts

• When times get tough, he buggers off. He wanted to be dropped, rather than play Hawthorn this past weekend.
  • He’s 24, he’s played 100 games and nobody knows his best position. Even him.
  • Also, it’s Jack Watts.
Case for getting Jack Watts - Will be the only way we ever get a number one draft pick.

We have two number one picks on our list already

I’d be interested in him for a fourth rounder, but no higher.

I'd be interested in him for a fourth rounder, but no higher.

Late, late rookie pick.

Maybe.

Certainly wouldnt want to pay a heavy price for him but there doesnt appear to be many talls floating around our VFL team.

Case for getting Jack Watts - Will be the only way we ever get a number one draft pick.

We have two number one picks on our list already

What I meant was that trading/free agency in general (rather than Watts) was the only way we’d get a number one draft pick because we don’t finish last.

But I confess, I did momentarily forget that we already had 2.

I have no idea what we’d do with him.

I have no idea what we'd do with him.

play him instead of langford or Ambrose? Why?

The debate all week is about fitting Carlisle, Belchambers, Smack, Joe, Hurley, Fletch, Hooker in the same team.

Are we crying out for a loose defender? An KP sized forward flanker? A taller slower less contested less in and under stanton?

His problem is the exact same problem Jetta and Reimers had. He does not and seemingly cannot contest. It makes him a liability in defense as modern defense is all about filling space and allowing no uncontested possesions. Like Reimers, Watts is an uncontested possession for the opposing team. Forgetting all other aspects of the game, it’s more valuable to have a Jackson Merrett, who even if out sized, out muscled, will contest like a ■■■■■■■ bulldog.

You can balance a little less contest for a lot more skill and usefulness in other areas but you cannot accept zero contest no matter how useful or skillful in other areas.

Remember that time WHEN he got 3 Brownlow votes against us?

Would take for not much $$$ or pick 50 or later. That won’t happen though.

I’d prefer Sam Reid.

Sam Reid. Sam Reid.