Jack Watts

Word is Watts to Port.

Clearly they’re in the market for big game players, the kind who stand up when the going gets tough.

3 Likes

Would that be Port Melbourne, Cap ?

2 Likes

No, the other, lesser one in Adelaide.

2 Likes

Gosh l hope not. Watts is in the same Super Spud league as Vickery. That is a club l hope no one from Essendon ever joins.

1 Like

He has never reached the potential everyone claims he has but have no proof that it is actually correct. Let’s get that bit right. People make assumptions about players “potentials” but they really have no idea. If he was pick 30, no one would say anything but because the Dees decided he was worth pick 1 suddenly he is an under-achiever. He didn’t ask to go pick 1, that was thrust on him.

5 Likes

Has the worst ■■■■ eating grin in the game,

he reminds me of Spalding in caddy shack

Watts is nowhere near a perfect player. But he has some very good weapons, the chief one being his kicking/decision making. He has good endurance, decent speed and decent marking. There are questions on his toughness and he can be inconsistent. It would be a tough decision if Melbourne were seeking a first. But if they’re really only after a second, most teams should jump at him.

For us it’s complicated by the fact we have Stewart playing a similar role. So it is also a question of whether Watts could play a different role. Personally, I see him as an upgrade of Colyer. You lose speed and fumbles, gain precision kicking and marking ability. Both inconsistent, both good engines.

5 Likes

That’s how I would play him as well.

Agree completely. Watts suffers from the number one pick garbage. Didn’t ask for that or to play his first game on Q’s birthday. It is a reminder for those who say ‘play the kids’. Sometimes they aren’t ready or deserving.
I see most think differently but I believe he could play third tall easily and would stretch the opposition and whilst I admit to being wrong (so far) in my opinion that Stewart isn’t an AFL standard player, I reckon Watts would be a clear upgrade. I don’t think he’s soft in any way and is a beautiful kick and strong mark.

1 Like

We’ve had many far worse players than those 2 on our list over the years

1 Like

We’ve got players worse than that on our list right now.

4 Likes

I like Watts as a player. His year really wasn’t bad, was in terrific form up unitil mid year when he got injured. Very creative player, beautiful kick can play wing, third tall forward. Obviously he has limitations and he really wouldn’t be a priority for us but he can play football and I think Melbourne are making a poor choice by shipping him, he gives them something really different. What did I read the other day is number 2 in the league for retaining possession when he kicks into offensive 50, second to Walker - that’s his big weapon. He is currently a fair upgrade on Stewart imo.

2 Likes

Nah, doesn’t have Stewart’s intensity to get to the ball or chase/tackle at the man which is a huge part of the modern game. The reason we can play Stewart with Daniher and Hooker isn’t just that he is athletically gifted (and hence more an oversized flanker), but also his desire to work hard without the ball.

Even in his good years, Watts has loved just cruising around and pick up possessions when they come to him but I’ve never really seen him as a desperate to influence the contest sort of player. Despite having some attractive qualities I can absolutely understand if Melbourne move him on.

1 Like

It does make you think there must be something else to it. They lack outside run, so why not put Watts on the wing? And as you said, he played well up until he was injured. Its a bit perplexing, unless someone is stumping up a first rounder. In which case I’d have no interest from an EFC point of view, and it would make more sense.

Watts is very talented but he lacks the application to fulfil his talent. The last straw happened at the start of the year when he turned up at pre-season fat and out of condition again. His lack of professionalism has held him back all his career. He is an influential member within the playing group and his lack of professionalism has been a bit of a cancer for Melbourne and part of the reason why some members of the playing group turn up thinking they don’t need to play that hard to win.

Melbourne have felt the last few years that they are in a position where they can get rid of players like that regardless of ability as they feel they are holding them back from creating a successful culture.

Hmm, interesting. Despite that unprofessionalism he’s played well. So if he was somewhere he was less influential, it might be something a team could live with.

1 Like

Watts a clear upgrade on Stewart?

Sure, he’s not the worst cruising around off the HBF, but I’m yet to see Watts play lead up forward effectively except 2016 after how many years in the system?
At least with Stewart you know he;s going to give you his best all the time, and I think there’s a fair bit of up side there too. Watts probably already past his best.

plays likes he hates any sort of contact. No thanks