Jake Lever

Lever is a great young player. So Tex was ‘aggressive and angry’, big deal. Should have been aggressive last Saturday afternoon when it mattered. Even better performance by Jake if it true that some players didn’t want to play with him.

3 Likes

“What was put to Adelaide was a very reasonable offer from the Melbourne Footy Club in their mind. Just looking at the Draft order now, Melbourne have pick 10. That was certainly on the table for the Crows and also their pick No. 2 in the Draft is pick No. 27. So both 10 and 27 and potentially a swap of picks involved there for Jake Lever,” Cornes said on Sportsday SA.
“So this negotiation has been ongoing for a long time and that offer was slid across the table to the Crows official. He looked at it, shut his computer, didn’t say a word, got up and left the cafe. Just walked out. No dialogue whatsoever and it was quite a long walk to the exit of this cafe.
“They tried to call him back — both Lever’s manager and the Melbourne Footy Club. (He) didn’t want a bar of it and it is very, very testy between the Adelaide Footy Club and the Melbourne Footy Club.
“Some further emails were then sent the following day and clearly Melbourne were not happy with the way negotiations are going.”

1 Like

I have to admit I don’t understand the Crows attitude. They have been actively trying to get Gibbs from Carlton, a contracted player who, at the time, still had 3 years to go, and are actively trying to get him again this year. Yet they are upset one of their players wants to leave?

5 Likes

Seriously, fark the crows.

I’m very happy they got embarrassed in the GF. Flogs like Walker needed a huge tune-up.

I’m very, very over them acting like the tragic events of the recen past entitle them to ■■■■ as well.

Flogs. Arrogant Flogs.

6 Likes

Am also over it majorly.

God forbid some players have to play with upsetting external circumstances or being under mental duress. No, that hasn’t happened to any other groups of players at all, hmm hmmm

I hate Richmond don’t get me wrong, but I just LOL how they spent all week talking about Adelaide’s ‘stare down’ and all it did was fire up their opposition and Adelaide didn’t fire a shot. Gold.

2 Likes

That’s a joke if true. A first and second round pick for Lever is very fair IMO, and I don’t think many -outside the Crows - would disagree. They’re not going to get better, and their attitude hypocritical when you consider their negotiations for Gibbs last year (when Carlton acted as they are now).

1 Like

Adelaide got what they deserved for paying Jenkins $750,000 a year.

4 Likes

To be fair to FCFC Gibbs was just a newly signed long term contract who still had 3 years to go. If they were that desperate for him the Crows should have given up 2 first rounders. You don’t go and try to poach a long term ocntracted player without first having realised you were going to give up a hell of a lot for him.

Difference being the Carlton was well within their rights to dig in as Gibbs was in the middle of a long-term contract. Lever is uncontracred. He cost them Pick 14 in the draft, Picks 10+27 is certainly a positive return in 3 years, admittedly how they would use those picks will determine whether that trade would be a success or not. Dees are getting the know quantity. Unfortunately unless Lever is prepared to go to any Vic club, which it sounds like he isn’t, Crows either have to suck it up and accept the offer or he’s off to the draft and they get nothing for him.

1 Like

It might have something to do with them continually hemorrhaging players, in spite of consistently playing in finals.

1 Like

His manager said Dees or draft. So it’s bullshit

I think it probably has more to do with Lever being in just his third year.

Players have far to much control in my opinion.

1 Like

Then they need to fix their culture because players don’t leave if they are happy where they are (unless in exceptional circumstances such as messy family situations that require them to be there). Is it Hogan from Dees? Lost his father and had other personal issues. He could leave but he would rather stay.

1 Like

Exactly.

Hogan would already have been on big $$ though.

If Lever getting $400k more/yr to go I’m not sure any amount of good culture is going to keep a player

Kelly stayed at GWS for a crap load less money than what Norf offered him. Plenty of players stay and take less money to sustained success.

1 Like

Right you are

However also the clubs offering the big big dollars are usually bottom dwelling. Melb on verge of finals. He gets big paypacket and returns home to family (of which there is some issues been dealing with apparently).

The only slight glitch is that Lever’s manager has a link to Collingwood, I believe.

Can we fix the thread title spelling?

It’s Jake Leaver

6 Likes

I’m wondering how much of that is “manufactured” to gain leverage? There’s some serious butthurt flowing from the Crows though, they’re gonna try and push him any which way they can to get a better deal than 10 and 27.