Jake Melksham

Was talking to a Melbourne supporter about Jake yesterday. He reckons it was a complete fluke they started playing him up forward. Last year they tried him in the midfield and then down back before sending him to the VFL for a stint. It only when they brought him back as a forward he showed something and ended up kicking over 20 goals in 10 games. Sometimes you need a bit of luck and it maybe Goody got it here.

1 Like

Makes sense, pretty sure when they recruited him they earmarked him for a half back role

WSPHU love this guy. Getting a free off Ducker Selwood. Give this man an award

1 Like

Spot on

Melksham in the middle

Pretty sure he did ok kicking goals with us. A memorable win against the cats with him kicking the nail in coffin goal

3 Likes

Yep he sure did and glad he’s kicked on with Melbourne. I’m positive I heard some interviews with Goodwin where he mentioned that he was recruited with the idea of a back role, but looks like he’s found his role up forward

He always loved a goal and was a great kick inside 50. I’m not sure why we didn’t play him in a more attacking role.

Onya melk.
Deserved it.

1 Like

Apparently, it’s because he didn’t ask. Players need to tell their coaches where they want to play, otherwise, they miss out. It’s all about life-choices.

2 Likes

My melkshake brings all the dees to the yard

Didn’t we largely play Melksham as a high fwd/midfielder when he was here? I certainly don’t remember using him much behind the ball

I’m a bit confused by some of the reactions here, but then I was confused by the constant Melksham hate on here at the time

8 Likes

Has turned from a player that fumbled every ■■■■■■■ time he went near it to a 95% one touch player

His decision making has improved and he is now pulling off ‘those’ bullets into f50, doesn’t get caught as much now either.

Some players just need a change of scenery to properly mature and realise their potential, we have a few of those types as well.

2 Likes

He and Caddy are proof you do sometimes need to give players time to reach their full potential.

1 Like

Caddy is proof that some turds float to the top.

3 Likes

Caddy was actually pretty good for Geelong in the midfield the year before they brought Dangerfield over. Once Dangerfield was there though he went back to being a full time forward. Obviously Richmond has gotten the best out of him splitting his time. Personally think he always plays best for them when he also gets midfield minutes.

I reckon that’s a big factor. I don’t reckon Mitch Duncan has taken Ablett and Kelly’s arrival well. Not a shadow of what he was.

2 Likes

The thing is Richmond told him he wouldn’t get much time midfield and needed to get his head around being a HFF. He came out and said that early this year. He said once he realised this would be his role he embraced it and has played well.

1 Like

I don’t recall him being that fumbly?