Jake Stringer - Nominates Essendon

Yeah, I wasn’t having a go at you.

I was just saying that a lot can change in 12 months and I think it’s premature to start calling next years draft stacked.

Talls in particular are very unpredictable and can look like world beaters one minute and nothing the next.

This has the same feeling when we chased Goddard.

2 Likes

Shouter also hinting that we’ll be chasing Sloane next year FA

Talls are tough to judge partly cos there’s so many fewer of them. Underage talls generally get overlooked for TAC duties unless they’re absolute guns cos the older guys have more developed bodies and there’s only maybe -6 spots for talls per team (not all of which are interchangeable positionally) and you want to give your overagers their time in the sun. Plus if a tall stands out, how do you know if he is really good or if his opposition is just a bit meh. I remember being pretty skeptical of Watts they year he went #1, cos he never really got tested against the best. Phil Davis was injured when Watts played against SA, when he played against Calder Jackson Trengove was injured, and when he played against Northern he played on the wing and never matched up against Hurley. But they were pretty much all the high-level defenders in that draft year and all we had to measure Watts against. It makes judging talls pretty hard - you don’t learn anything about a 199cm athletic kpp first round prospect based on what he does against a 190cm battler who is not realistically draftable, but there’s only so many genuine prospects every year…

9 Likes

So from what I am gathering Stringer is in the red and black next season.
What happens with Laverde and Langford?
How much patience should we have with these 2?What would be a produtive season for them in 2018?
They just don’t have the same output as a Hewett or a Mills…gotta get stronger, harder, tougher.

They’ve also only won 2 or 3 is it finals out of 9 odd attempts since 2011.
They’ve also finished top 4 in a few of those years.

I get players wanting to play with them cos they are good players, but their leadership is pretty questionable.
How many players have they actually turned into good quality decent people or players ?

I know it’s more media pr bullshit talk, but still, there’s a distinct difference between leadership and simply being good players.

1 Like

But we have Connor McKenna the guy everyone wants to interview and James Stewart who calls Luke Darcey Moons!
Should be on every good players list to join us.
And our change rooms smell nice with pretzels and Gatorade thrown around by Goddard.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of drafting talls in the top ten unless you really know what you are getting but sides are forced to take risks or be stuck with nothing. Joey was pretty obvious and if he didn’t go f/s he probably would have went number 1.

Really top line tall forwards are rare so I can understand why they do go high but they do carry risk.

I think part of the reason we took Francis is because we knew we were going to get a good player in parish and we could take the risk.

I wanted Curnow and Francis just to make sure we got at least one of quality.

Francis still has time though I get his act together.

THATS WHAT YOU HEARIN
listen
THATS WHAT YOU HEARIN
listen

dog growling noises

6 Likes

Francis: Well I know where I’m at and know what I need to do to be in the starting 18 come Rd 1.
Show faith in me and I will deliver!

3 Likes

Langford is a midfielder so stringer won’t impact him at all.

Laverde has now got a rocket up him. Needs to get fit enough that he can have an impact further up the ground.

2 Likes

I doubt Laverde can ever be full time mid - Has deficiencies which are shown in the midfield, especially insidethe contest.

We have about a million things on here about Laverde and Langford can we kee this to Stringer talk please?

3 Likes

Wish hed just stop stringering us all along ffs!!

I agree.

Didn’t you know they’re taking stringers spot.

I mean, lav and lang trying to get the ball to teammates instead of blind turn hoofing it forward would be way worse.

We seem to be a lot further down the track than all the other opposition clubs, in terms of meetings.

You’d think that sets us up in a really well.

Don’t you think they’ve strung it out enough?
With Stringer in we may get to string more wins together.

Does Stringer have Tatts?
I found this 1 out so answered my own q
images (20)