James Hird — January 2017 onwards

Good podcast by Hird and crawf In this weeks review. Discussion re structure and that essendon appeared to be focused around attacking from the back line. Where as the successful sides focused on attacking from the forward half. Interesting.

2 Likes

Agree… I really enjoy Crawf&Hirdy podcast. Interesting and entertaining. All three work very well together. Great analysis of the game.

3 Likes

You can add Paul Hamilton, the former football manager at EFC who played a key role in the management of the infamous supplements program at the club during 2012 who is now doing nicely as AFL Victoria’s state talent manager.
Prior to being promoted to the above ‘new’ position, it is worth noting that Hammer, as he was affectionately known during his battling football career, left EFC shortly after the supplements saga created headlines, and took full advantage of the AFL’s concern for former staff members at the beleaguered club and eased himself into a 6 figure appointment as Region General Manager for AFL Central Victoria.
The new position created at AFL Victoria is reputedly more lucrative than his previous position.

3 Likes

I would LOVE him to be back. I just think for his sake, with the level of maturity in main stream footy media and the general public, it would not be a good experience for him.

6 Likes

I reckon we should get Sheedy back, then sack him, then get Knights again, then sack him and THEN get Hirdy back.

6 Likes

What if we got them all back together. Sheeds head coach. Knights, Hird, Woosh as assistants. Dream team.

5 Likes

Hird and Crawford should coach us.

Ralph comes up with gameplan

6 Likes

Using nothing but gambling statistics… GAMBLEBALL

1 Like

I just so loathe hearing statements like this.

15 Likes

I quite like the idea of Skipworth doing an apprenticeship under Sheeds before the handover.

3 Likes

What happened to Matthew Egan?

1 Like

Development coach at Melbourne, I believe.

1 Like

Hird’s insight into the game and the development of players is there for everyone to hear on the podcast. Even Crawford is pretty insightful but it is clear that he and Ralphie both defer to the great man’s analyses.

It is the best AFL program on the “air” today (and for many years) by the proverbial and yet not one of the radio or television program director geniuses has poached them even though it would probably out rate every “show” now going to air.

Instead we have to put up with the same old worn out incoherent lap dogs parrotting the AFL line ad nauseum.

Just shows what an incestuous self-serving nepotistic swamp the AFL and its media are. They would rather destroy the industry then let one of their “mates” be out of work no matter how incompetent or incoherent they are. SEN is now populated by Hutchinson’s mates who have managed to make that abominable station even worse and most of whom if not for Hutchy’s largesse would remain sacked.

Foxtel is feather bedded by a band of retired players/supporters from St Kilda, North, Melbourne and Brisbane or if not from them then by geriatric dinosaurs who dream of returning the game to KB’s stone age.

The fact that Campbell Brown has effectively replaced Tim Watson on Talking Footy is currently the latest but the most laughable example of this phenomenon, although it will no doubt shortly be topped by some other incomprehensible paragon being anointed to a top media job.

Hird and Crawford can’t even make it on to the new but barely visible Macquarie Sports Radio station who went so far as to throw a lifeline to SEN’s previous drive programme “talent” who even Hutchinson sacked, while Tony Shaw has been given the breakfast gig there. It is, however, to be determined as to who is paying who to work on that station.

Gil has turned the AFL media into a copy of his management at the AFL itself.

Naked emperors abound.

22 Likes

I think you’re over selling hird and u underselling Crawford. He always posits it to Hird do as to engage in conversation about it. It’s not one or the other it’s both offering valid insights from different perspectives of success. Hird is much more articulate than Crawford but I don’t find Crawford lacking in intelligence.

■■■■ I feel dirty admitting that gonna go have a smoke and a cold shower.

11 Likes

I think I said Crawford’s views were “pretty insightful”. Don’t think that is underselling.

The chemistry on the show between all 3 is very entertaining.

1 Like

i liked “chainsawing”

4 Likes

All defer to great man’s insight. Oversells / undersells.

Also Shane’s much better at asking questions.

It’s a dream team for the podcast. Ralphy has a background as a producer for the media, knows something about footy ( as well as racing). Hird and Crawford were both highly disciplined and skilful players who reached the pinnacle of playing careers as premiership players, captains and Brownlow medallists . Hird has the added dimension of coaching experience. Both of them have media skills and a personality in the media ( compare Judd).
I’d say that the MSM would latch on to their podcasts to plagiarise their insights for their own articles,

7 Likes

Flog James Brayshaw angry that Hirdy intimated (in his podcast) that Dave Evans didn’t support him enough. He reckons David Evans was the one that was hard done by and Hird and the club should apologise to him. Fark off

5 Likes

Did anyone go to their lunch yesterday?