James Hird — January 2017 onwards

who are you to say no if he wants to?

5 Likes

I don’t think he should, It’s just my opinion but it’s the opinion of a trained mental health professional.

9 Likes

Isn’t it up to Hird to weigh up the pros and cons of returning to a senior coaching position. I am sure he and his family would be well aware of the pressure that comes with the job, pressure multiplied by a 100 given what occurred in the past.

I am not against Hird coming back because I thought he was a very good coach first time around. I would like to see a Chocco Williams or similar to be in the background as support

I guess time will tell

8 Likes

Maybe he needs a shot at redeeming himself to banish the scars.

1 Like

Maybe that’s between him, his family, and his psychologist and the rest of us should cease the amateur speculation on the matter.

10 Likes

Brendan Gale type CEO for me, gets him back at the club where he can use his influence to make the appropriate changes. And more importantly it removes X

3 Likes

What vitamin infusions…
Ooohhh bad Hirdy…

whats the point in a forum then?

1 Like

I’d be happy to see Jim back in the club in some capacity, but absolutely fark no to senior coach.

3 Likes

Hird himself has said he would like to coach again, he was asked at a club function and said yes.

He’s a great coach and deserves another chance.

13 Likes

Fixed

1 Like

It’s a cult.

It’s unbelievable.

Can you imagine the backlash if a coach that wasn’t James Hird or had a previous Essendon connection had been coach during 2012 and the resulting fallout?

They’d either be living in rural Mongolia by now after being driven out of not only the game but the country… or dead. Seriously.

1 Like

Yeah highest finish of 8th with a list rebuilt by knights, did a superb job. I especially liked the period of not winning a game in June for multiple years and fading away at the back end of each season.

4 Likes

fkg lol, thats your counterpoint?

As with Dean Bailey it was an AFL stitch up. Dean Bailey is not remembered as a villain, but a victim.

6 Likes

James Hird is nearly 50. He doesn’t need Mark Williams; he would need the best and the brightest of the new coaching generation. If he needs old man time, then Sheedy is around.

Hird is no longer an inexperienced kid, 30 years in AFL and about 10 years since he started coaching.

6 Likes

Agree

If he really wanted to be a head coach again, if he was truly committed he would of done an assistant coaching job somewhere since then. 8 weeks or so at GWS doesn’t count.

The last thing we need is somebody coaching who doesn’t have the adequate experience. All he knows is Essendon and GWS. That’s it

Take emotion out of it, he has no business coaching us again.

Do people truly think the AFL would allow us to be successful while he is coach

4 Likes

He is very inexperienced as a senior and assistant coach, nothing to do with his age.

Also, Hird doesn’t have the hard edge that Sheeds, Clarko and even Voss seem to have. He has more the Rutten/Whoosha friendly approach that makes me want to tear my eyeballs out.

I watched James Hird have a discussion with Matthew Knights once. Hird has a very hard edge when needed.

7 Likes