James Hird — January 2017 onwards

110% I would never want to see him as senior coach again, there would be such a high level of scrutiny and rabid hatred from opposition and media that he would never be able to effectively do the job. Just let him be, he doesn’t need the stress.

2 Likes

And as captain, coming off the field at the end of a quarter, was it Cupido that he collared?

3 Likes

The list was average. He’s a great coach and ppl that know a hell of a lot more about what makes a great coach agree too.

1 Like

Have you asked him what he wants to do?

I’m not saying I’m disagreeing, and respect your view as a professional, but maybe his trauma requires revisiting that area as a means to recovery.

Maybe he’s showed Sheeds something along those lines - I doubt he’d be promoting it without his ok.

In saying that, I’m confident the witch et al will see this as a chance to finish him off.

But maybe what kept him alive is the chance at redemption one day. Getting up, everyone against him, might be the therapy his own personal fight requires in order to fully heal.

I’ve also rewatched Rocky this morning.

1 Like

Because the AFL has done so much towards out recent success for the past 10 years whilst he hasn’t been coach??

All I know is the when Hird was last coaching we sat in the top 4 for long periods… I could actually sit down to watch an interstate game without feeling sick to my stomach and despite the biggest media shitstorm this country has seen the team sat in the TOP 2 before the AFL tried their ‘back room’ deals.

On field there is ZERO doubt that Hird achieved the most in the last 20 years. So that is deciding factor 1,2,3.

Then I look at EVERYONE else that was pinged in the saga… Goodwin goes off with AFL blessing and becomes Premiership coach (and literally no one mentions he was at EFC as the ‘drugs went in’)… Robson lands on his feet, Rodski goes to the most successful football program in the country… Bomber got to coach another year and only really got booted from the AFL because he actually was dealing drugs… our last president LITERALLY was the man IN CHARGE of risk management during the saga and the AFL said nothing… and the players… you know the ones found ‘guilty’ served a sentence and then got to come back and play… and one of them is again LITERALLY our captain…

I’ve never heard a player blame Hird for any of it. I’ve still never heard a player that actually believes they did anything wrong. I am still yet to hear any evidence we did actually do anything wrong other than put our faith in a very dodgy guy without enough oversight… a guy that was also doing the dodgy with several other clubs (one of whom just won a premiership and is on track to go back to back this year!!!)…

So I can understand why people don’t want to be reminded of the saga… but FMD if Hird hasn’t paid his dues. The hottest coaching prospect in the land… starts his career on fire and then gets thrown to the wolves… serves 10 years of penance and still not allowed to get a fair go? I’ve seen people serve less time for murder ffs.

Hird has been involved in the GWS program… do you hear any of their players having issues? Has there been any backlash? Do you see them avoiding Hird in the huddle and on the bench?? I’ve seen several articles of GWS players speaking with GREAT enthusiasm for what Hird brings. That gives me plenty of confidence that Hird would have the respect of the group if he walked in.

We didn’t lose our soul because of our supplements program… we lost our soul because we got bullied, had weak management and threw good people under the bus. And we have been looking for our soul for 10 years… now we have a chance to get it back.

I’m not saying Hird should be our only option… and maybe a proper process would find he is not the best option… but he should be allowed to put his hand in the ring and deserves all the support we can give him.

That is my take.

98 Likes

Yep. It’d be almost as bad as appointing a guy who oversaw the disgusting drug culture at West Coast to be head coach again.

8 Likes

Still gets me everytime.

The AFL/Club ‘safe choice’ was a pharmacist who also coached the biggest group of known drug users in the game, one of whom was at the time openly in rehab for the 50th time and another had been found dead. You couldn’t make it up.

18 Likes

Great post

It’s a dream. Can we be a little indulgent we literally have nothing left at the club.

3 Likes

Interesting that according to my poll above, the majority of Blitz (66%) does want Hird.

2 Likes

Great take :+1:

He’s a leader, what the club is missing, can that be brought to the club in ways other than as coach?
Even as club go to for the media, would add someone with public communication skills?

1 Like

Brilliant post mate.

3 Likes

On the condition that we get the best Football Director mentor for him. Not sure what Balme, Chocco dare I say maybe even David Noble doing nowadays?

More urgency is to toss out a) factions at the board b) X c) Dodo.

FMD

Of course Blitz want Hird. But Blitz is not representative of the broader EFC fan base.

There really is no rational way that Hird returning to be the senior coach can be considered as good for the club right now.

Edit - saw someone post in the Rutten thread that Hird as an assistant to a senior coach like Buckley could work and I wouldnt mind seeing that to be honest

The club should be run by the result of the polls on blitz

1 Like

I honestly believe if he put his hand up as CEO, there will be enough support to remove X without any real contest. Just set the org structure up where Hird have zero say in football operations.

I find 66% less than I thought. Maybe because I’m from a group of fans / friends old enough to see 93 & 2000 (I was alive for 84 & 85 too but just a baby), as well as his 96 season, and 04 (when he should’ve beat Judd for Brownlow).

The point is for us Hird is such a huge part of Essendon success that it seems only fair he gets his shot at redemption, like Goodwin etc have had.

4 Likes

I don’t think this will happen (him coming back as a senior coach at least).

One thing I will say during his tenure. He had players who were willing to run through brick walls for him because of the person he is and the playing group adored him and bought into what he instilled.

We haven’t had that long before or ever since he hasn’t been at the club in regards to a coach.

I would love for him to come back and coach or even just be a part of the club again but this just stinks of the club now scrambling because their play for Clarkson not coming off.

1 Like