James Hird — January 2017 onwards

1. Hird dropped a number of comments on his podcast saying the biggest factor against any return to coaching would be his family, and the stress they endured - and the fact that he wouldn’t want to put them through it again.

2. Very hard to see any opposition supporter-base copping Hird being hired. They largely hate him - pretty much more than anyone else in football. Phones will run hot with complaints…

2 Likes

This media coverage has that AFL smell about it.

Tin foil hat time - wouldn’t be surprised if it was related to last years abandoned court case.

1 Like

I’d love Hirdy to our senior coach again. There was nothing wrong with his coaching, and the saga was not his fault.

I can’t think of anyone more loved by our supporters.

Its interesting the comparison made by Sheeds. It was clear that the various parties involved with the Saga did not answer to Hirdy, but surely Smith and Warner answered to Boof, who somehow was unscathed after the sandpaper debacle, left on his terms, and is already employed in the industry again. So cushy for him.

2 Likes

Should be allowed to coach. Would’ve been one of the best ever. Won’t though because of the mediocrity and nonsense of the AFL, media, ASADA and opposition supporters…
The saga shed a new light for me on just how many hypocritical, narrow minded,and imbecilic backwater morons we have in this country who have bought into such fanatically hysteric propaganda without an ability to critically examine the fundamental issues and multiple agendas.
And because of that we won’t see a legend player become an outstanding coach. ■■■■■■ Australian tall poppy mediocrity wins again…

11 Likes

I don’t think Hird will be a senior coach again and I believe it’s still a little too soon to come back as an assistant. He’s just gotten back to a better place now. The amount of negative attention he will get could undermine that.

the guy has a brilliant football mind but no amount of arguing will change a lot of people’s minds. The smear campaign did it’s job.

3 Likes

Might be a bit awkward if he has to coach his kid too.

from a cursory read over twitter it’s clear Hird triggers strong responses - a club taking him on in a significant capacity will be dealing with a mass amount of attention and distraction.

Thanks for that insight. Whether Hirdy wants back or not is not important to me.
Those last 7 words are all I’m interested in. May he continue doing whatever makes him and his family happy.

2 Likes

It’d be great if he could jump on a team having success (Richmond) or a team on the rise (Brisbane) and have a positive influence. Few fluff pieces talking him up, earn some respect in the footy world, change the narrative.

Then come back and coach Essendon’s 20th premiership after Worsfold’s tenure.
Pipe dream I know but reading the paper this morning I realised that I love Sheedy and Hirdy more than anyone in Essendon/AFL’s history.

3 Likes

There have been plenty of coaches that set the phones off. If you win, the fans soon love you. I bet the EFC got plenty of phone calls and letters (perhaps even a telegram or two) when they appointed Sheedy…

1 Like

Agree.

I cringe whenever Hirdy being coach again is mentioned. If he wants to put himself and his family into that circus again he needs a good slapping. I understand that he is a competitive beast but the amount of manipulation and self service that goes on in the comp makes me sick.

And if he isn’t interested then these headline grabbers in the media just need to let it go.

2 Likes

You know I hear this here a lot, but have had just the opposite experience, other than one or two. Maybe I just speak tp more intelligent people, but I’m talking a fair number of perfect strangers on Trains after games, in pubs etc, … Hawk Filth even FC people.

The vast majority over the past 2 years or so, actually think/know we got screwed and really feel for us and James.

It always really strikes me when I see this posted, and I can’t for the life of me understand why my encounters on the whole differ so starkly.

5 Likes

I’d imagine coaching against your kid would be even more awks

Same. I can’t ever imagine him wanting to put his family through the stress of him coaching (head role) and all that comes with it again.

I think he would make a fantastic assistant coach, but he won’t ever be the main man again.

1 Like

This has more truth than any rival footy fan will ever admit.

Jim has the royal box around him from a coaching perspective, we gave Matty Knights campo.

I do sometimes wonder what Knighta could have done with some better assistants.

1 Like

I’m really glad to hear this. I must definitely be mixing with the wrong crowd.

1 Like

No you won’t.

1 Like

Never say Never.

Who would have thought we’d see AFLX again after last year??

Let alone in such an unfathomable, far more ridiculous incarnation!!!

This is the AFL, … anything can farken happen.