James Hird Resigns

Thanks mate.

No I haven’t passed on to the club directly, but I have no doubt they know where to look if they want some honest feedback.

TBH, there’s nothing the club can say on this that will make any sort of difference to me.

I don’t think I’ve agreed with anything the board have done over the last few years so this is just one more thing to add to the list.

AFLPA and the other clubs ran and hid once the saga hit the headlines.......spare me please

You have completely missed the point - you could say the same about Little and the board, “spare me…” But what if the AFLPA or the clubs actually stood up for what they were supposed to, do you think the AFL would keep getting away with it? THAT is why you can’t beat city hall, because not enough people have the balls to do it.

It's not hard to imagine someone like Neil Craig coming in, asking hard questions of the setup of a footy club as ordinary as ours, and rustling the feathers of the "yes but at Essendon what we do is..." crowd.

But he might also be a prick. I dunno.

Given his last club was Melbourne, I doubt he had as much credibility as in the past.

Little just applying that well worn Corleone principle. Keep your friends close…keep the AFL closer

AFLPA and the other clubs ran and hid once the saga hit the headlines…spare me please

It’s not hard to imagine someone like Neil Craig coming in, asking hard questions of the setup of a footy club as ordinary as ours, and rustling the feathers of the “yes but at Essendon what we do is…” crowd.

But he might also be a prick. I dunno.

You cant fight City Hall......as Little discovered soon enough. Can you imagine what may have happened to the club if he said F..you AFL we are gonna take you on in court....and we lost. Then we would be blaming him for getting us kicked out of the comp......no win situation. I wouldn't want to be the one selling us down the gurgler

That’s BS. Of course you can fight city hall, it just takes more than one man. Hird tried it on his own two feet and even his own club didn’t support him, but what if he had a lot of support starting with the club? Also how long do you think the AFL would last if the AFL Players Association threw their weight around, or if the clubs united against them? They survive on threats like the bullies they are, but they would cave in quickly if the balance of power was against them.

Of course they are bullies. As for the AFLPA throwing their weight around…don’t make me laugh

You cant fight City Hall......as Little discovered soon enough. Can you imagine what may have happened to the club if he said F..you AFL we are gonna take you on in court....and we lost. Then we would be blaming him for getting us kicked out of the comp......no win situation. I wouldn't want to be the one selling us down the gurgler

That’s BS. Of course you can fight city hall, it just takes more than one man. Hird tried it on his own two feet and even his own club didn’t support him, but what if he had a lot of support starting with the club? Also how long do you think the AFL would last if the AFL Players Association threw their weight around, or if the clubs united against them? They survive on threats like the bullies they are, but they would cave in quickly if the balance of power was against them.

The guy has made a fortune by smashing businesses and people along the way. He is no shrinking violet. His hands were tied because the AFL is not like the rea world. It is the AFL and they make the rules. Completely different scenario. He would eat Fitzpatrick and co outside of the AFL safety net

So you're saying we have won. What is it about dying on your feet is better than living on your knees. My knees are hurting and I'm sick of being spat on by every fool with AFL accreditation.
You clowns that hang it on Little should have a really good think about the unwinnable position Little and the club found themselves in. We play in a comp run by the AFL, they make the rules up as they go along. To play in this comp we must abide by their rules, like it or not. So what was he supposed to do? Think about it, what was he supposed to do? And none of your bullshit keyboard warrior crap. He tried to fight themat first and was clearly advised that for the future of the club to cool it.

That’s one way of looking at it.

The other is that he was always going to shaft Hird to assuage his AFL buddies but had to try and do it in such a way that the members would not revolt.

2014 - tried to get rid of HIrd when appeal was launched and Hird not invited to B & F - Indeed the witch announced it had occurred but Little backed down when advised that he would be in contempt of court if he proceeded.

2015 - opportunity arises after bad losses - Hird despatched when no need to do so (why not wait until season over?) but did so to avoid giving Hird a chance to win some games at end of season.

I prefer the latter analysis as being closer to reality - Little talks tough but delivers his name. Little Pauly’s got lots of money though - and that’s all the AFL consider.

You cant fight City Hall…as Little discovered soon enough. Can you imagine what may have happened to the club if he said F…you AFL we are gonna take you on in court…and we lost. Then we would be blaming him for getting us kicked out of the comp…no win situation. I wouldn’t want to be the one selling us down the gurgler

Little was supposed to stand with Hird right at the start with their court action. The AFL would have caved as they couldn't afford to be exposed in court, and everything would have been nipped in the bud. A no brainer really, unless you are doing the bidding of the AFL. Exactly what benefit is it to the clubs future now?

… and yet we would still be copping a WADA appeal.

Evans was the one who had the misguided perception that the AFL could control ASADA/WADA, not Little.

Little copped the ■■■■ sandwich.

all this clean air since the board stabbed the coach and supporters in the back. Some on here think that last Tuesday was end of all the problems at the club.
Since then Barrett, Wilson, Connolly, have written multiple articles rubbishing Hird, the club, the board, and us supporters. The news must have just reached this genius in Perth cos she has now written about it.
The smear campaign continues. The same smear campaign that the club let run for 3 years, and at various times at fever pitch this year. The AFL made it clear they dont give a ■■■■ about Essendon, try as this ■■■■ board might to kiss their ■■■.
The sacking of Hird hasnt changed a thing. Everyone out there still thinks our guys are guilty, despite being cleared, no one still gives a ■■■■ about the welfare of the players. The umpiring in the weekend continued in the same slanted fashion it has all year. Apparently there is a new rule for Essendon players - automatic play on. Our guys must do something different everytime they mark the ball to the rest of the competition. WADA - still there
the only thing achieved is that we no longer have a coach, and the notion and plea of people from this club about sticking together is trashed by the board no longer standing by our coach, players and supporters.

Whats improved? Whats changed?

I'm with Carps on this.
serious?, Reboot and I argue on pretty much everything yet on this one we agree, that cant be a co-incidence.
Even from 4000kms away I can see that Hird was punted.

Don’t by into the “Craig is a ■■■■■■■” story though.

No idea who this John Carpenter guy, but his story is same I have been told.

Neil Craig is a straight guy and had nothing to do with Hird being shafted.

This is true. He had nothing to do with the departure of Hird. However…from what I’ve been told, there has been undermining during both Hird and Bomber reigns.

Word is he pushed hard once to be coach once Hird was gone. Hird made sure that didn’t happen. Egan is a good bloke and loyal.
Will be interesting to see what comes from the internal review.

That is crap.

Neil Craig never wants to coach AFL again.

The Neil Craig story has been going for longer than just Sunday.

Bang on.

Little was supposed to stand with Hird right at the start with their court action. The AFL would have caved as they couldn’t afford to be exposed in court, and everything would have been nipped in the bud. A no brainer really, unless you are doing the bidding of the AFL. Exactly what benefit is it to the clubs future now?

You clowns that hang it on Little should have a really good think about the unwinnable position Little and the club found themselves in. We play in a comp run by the AFL, they make the rules up as they go along. To play in this comp we must abide by their rules, like it or not. So what was he supposed to do? Think about it, what was he supposed to do? And none of your bullshit keyboard warrior crap. He tried to fight themat first and was clearly advised that for the future of the club to cool it.

I quoted Chip's book - how is that uninformed? Do you think Chip was full of it? Little had been fighting for Hird had he? Hird wasn't almost sacked before the B&F? Why didn't Little even mention Hird at the B&F? Little exposes himself by his actions, for all to see.

Yeah but they have sauces (tomato, sweet chilli)…so only the privileged no what happened albeit without going into details.

I quoted Chip's book - how is that uninformed? Do you think Chip was full of it? Little had been fighting for Hird had he? Hird wasn't almost sacked before the B&F? Why didn't Little even mention Hird at the B&F? Little exposes himself by his actions, for all to see.

Yeah but they have sauces (tomato, sweet chilli)…so only the privileged no what happened albeit without going into details.

Fair enough to a point, but as I said Little exposes himself by his actions, as Hird exposed himself by his.