James Hird - survivor

Jeez I think you're clutching at straws a little bit bomber5au. The board structure is very reasonable and has an in-built system where nobody can be a director ad infintitum. There will be decisions made from time to time that appear to be on the nose. That's life. There are no perfect systems anywhere. As to pandering to the AFL, that is a matter of opinion, looking in from the outside. The AFL is the controlling body that grants us a license to participate. Go to the AGM, ask questions. If the answers are not satisfactory then there are remedies and rules that can be applied. To say that the individuals that make up the board are not there for the benefit of the Club needs iron clad proof, not opinion based on what has resulted from all the garbage the Club has had to go through in recent years. Even in past years and particularly when the Club took the decision to not come forward when there was an amnesty in place regarding salary cap infringements, a decision was made that hurt the Club but it was done in good faith although a wrong decision. I repeat, go to the AGM with as many like minded members as you can muster. Even written submissions/questions would or could be a worthwhile thing to do. In fact, written submissions might even be better in that they are a physical thing and need to be addressed. I believe all members that strive to become office bearers or officials of the Club do so because they have the best interests of the Club in their hearts. I'll admit to being a 'glass half full' kind of person but I believe, so are the majority of people.

You say that the board structure is very reasonable - in your opinion. I am merely asking the question “how does the balance of the current Board of Directors meet the requirements of the constitution” It may be buried in the fine print and I have missed it. You may be happy with the Board and how it has performed over the past 3 years and as you say in your final sentence that you and a majority of people “believe” - again your opinion.

You also say that “iron clad proof” is required to raise the concern about the relationship between the Board and the AFL. Rather than iron clad proof perhaps it should be better defined as a weight of evidence argument starting with the Vlad and Evans relationship, through to the Little/Fitzpatrick/Wylie relationship. But surely we all know now that this saga is not about the facts but all about the optics and protecting the brand using opinion turned into the “truth”

I have been to a number of AGMs over the years and found them to be a waste of time on most occasions. The largest one I went to saw an attendance of about 400 people, a couple of issues were raised that were seeking change only to see the vote defeated by proxies gathered by the Board. I sent a number of emails to club over the saga period especially dealing with the inaccuracies and misinformation being spread by ASADA, the AFL and the media about the science and medical matters. I did not receive one response.

Most boards are controlled by the incumbents clever use of retirements and appointments so the election of directors only rarely occurs and only a minority of the board is ever up for election at any one time.\

This prevents independents from usually getting elected but when they do they are usually schmoozed by the existing board members and become part of the old boys club or if not are jettisoned at the next election.

Most boards are controlled by the incumbents clever use of retirements and appointments so the election of directors only rarely occurs and only a minority of the board is ever up for election at any one time.\\

This prevents independents from usually getting elected but when they do they are usually schmoozed by the existing board members and become part of the old boys club or if not are jettisoned at the next election.

bomber5au, I don’t doubt your sincerity or discount your concerns. That your Emails have not been acknowledged does not surprise me-I have sent some over the years about membership issues that have been completely ignored. I take this as meaning that the Email addresses generally available to the public are meaningless and I think it’s a very poor way for the Club to operate. However, I do believe that if you sent them a hard copy, receipted communication outlining your concerns, especially if addressed to the equivalent to a company secretary, you might get a better outcome. I hope you do. I still believe though, that everyone involved in the running of the Club are doing their best and are not trying to subvert what we the members want-an open and transparent management set up that is working towards the success we had gotten used to. The last few years of reading almost everything in and around the Saga has convinced me that there are no answers on BB. If everyone that posts on here were to have an actual same place meeting over a beer or two, then I think we could definitely solve all the problems the Club seems to have.

So, the two positions for voting at the AGM are Little and Jackson.

Surely there’s a mind numbingly boring “in depth discussion about the intricate workings of how to possibly be elected to the board” thread somewhere else? #hird

So there will be 5 freshly elected directors after the next AGM, and those leaving have high level skills and experience. I like Paul Littles succession planning with Lindsay Tanner and Chris Muir coming in as appointments, with excellent contacts and influence. Heffernan’s background is outstanding, as is Brasher’s. So I can’t criticise the appointments we have on board (so to speak).

The treatment and loss of Hird was a literal tragedy, but in terms of playing the hand that Little was dealt, I think Little has done an outstanding job to set up the club to move forward.

I think the weapons used against us by the AFL made it impossible for Hird, but he did have a hell of a crack, but in the end I think Little mitigated a lot of the damage.

That said, I’m still deflated by the bullying we’ve been subjected to by the AFL, and truly hope that James and his family can emerge from this intact and able to enjoy life, and the players can get enjoyment and success out of their time with EFC and beyond.

FARK the AFL.

bomber5au, I don't doubt your sincerity or discount your concerns. That your Emails have not been acknowledged does not surprise me-I have sent some over the years about membership issues that have been completely ignored. I take this as meaning that the Email addresses generally available to the public are meaningless and I think it's a very poor way for the Club to operate. However, I do believe that if you sent them a hard copy, receipted communication outlining your concerns, especially if addressed to the equivalent to a company secretary, you might get a better outcome. I hope you do. I still believe though, that everyone involved in the running of the Club are doing their best and are not trying to subvert what we the members want-an open and transparent management set up that is working towards the success we had gotten used to. The last few years of reading almost everything in and around the Saga has convinced me that there are no answers on BB. If everyone that posts on here were to have an actual same place meeting over a beer or two, then I think we could definitely solve all the problems the Club seems to have.

I think you would be bitterly disappointed with the truth. If what you believe was remotely true Hird would still be coach.

So there will be 5 freshly elected directors after the next AGM, and those leaving have high level skills and experience. I like Paul Littles succession planning with Lindsay Tanner and Chris Muir coming in as appointments, with excellent contacts and influence. Heffernan’s background is outstanding, as is Brasher’s. So I can’t criticise the appointments we have on board (so to speak).

The treatment and loss of Hird was a literal tragedy, but in terms of playing the hand that Little was dealt, I think Little has done an outstanding job to set up the club to move forward.

I think the weapons used against us by the AFL made it impossible for Hird, but he did have a hell of a crack, but in the end I think Little mitigated a lot of the damage.

That said, I’m still deflated by the bullying we’ve been subjected to by the AFL, and truly hope that James and his family can emerge from this intact and able to enjoy life, and the players can get enjoyment and success out of their time with EFC and beyond.

FARK the AFL.

Little is nothing more than a puppet of the AFL that was talking tough at the beginning but then did nothing else than what the AFL wanted, and he had an active role in the Hird tragedy.

Wtf is this thread?

I hope Tania Hird writes a book.

FARK the AFL.

Little is nothing more than a puppet of the AFL that was talking tough at the beginning but then did nothing else than what the AFL wanted, and he had an active role in the Hird tragedy.

Do we still have the ignore facility?

Wtf is this thread?

It used to be a spiritual place where Hird groupies like me would come for comfort and succour, but now it’s been over run by admin nerds.

FARK the AFL.

Little was managing a situation the AFL created in the circumstances where the AFL could dismiss the board and appoint their own, a la Melbourne Storm. Proof he was not an AFL puppet is he didn’t appoint Gauci to the board, where his experience was replacing the leadership of the Storm board when they wanted to fight the NRL, and the AFL media were backing Gauci only to be foiled by 8 votes by the Blitz and Little refused to appoint him.

Instead the Board who were responsible for the ASAGA, has been effectively replaced in an orderly manner by competent, influential, Essendon supporting people.

We are all correct in being disappointed in the treatment of Jimmy, but that was created by the AFL and Little, and Hird in the end, realised the AFL had EFC by the balls and all we could do was try to set up the future post James and post the board who oversaw the ASAGA.

Jesus christ i hope she doesn’t. Fk that’d be embarrasing

so whos going to be this years raptor?

i need some off season entertainment

FARK the AFL.

Little was managing a situation the AFL created in the circumstances where the AFL could dismiss the board and appoint their own, a la Melbourne Storm. Proof he was not an AFL puppet is he didn’t appoint Gauci to the board, where his experience was replacing the leadership of the Storm board when they wanted to fight the NRL, and the AFL media were backing Gauci only to be foiled by 8 votes by the Blitz and Little refused to appoint him.

Instead the Board who were responsible for the ASAGA, has been effectively replaced in an orderly manner by competent, influential, Essendon supporting people.

We are all correct in being disappointed in the treatment of Jimmy, but that was created by the AFL and Little, and Hird in the end, realised the AFL had EFC by the balls and all we could do was try to set up the future post James and post the board who oversaw the ASAGA.

Serious question, do you think an AFL appointed board could have handled the situation any more in line with the AFL’s wishes? What difference could it possibly have made had the AFL actually had the balls to exercise that threat?

Could Little have appointed Gauci? I thought at that point we already had the full quota of appointments so that’s why those positions were elected & we got Cas & Cuz. I have no doubt Gauci was expected to win a seat but I’m not sure how Little could have just appointed another director.

Yeah, she should just shut up and mind her own business like she was told to do.

FARK the AFL.

If you honestly believe that you probably should just sit down in the quiet room. That is so far from the truth as to be absurd.
I know it’s a popular view from the ‘need to make this conspiracy theory stand up set’, but it is just seriously, seriously wrong.
There is plenty to get ■■■■■■ off about in this whole sorry mess without inventing things to push your agenda. Little, and Campbell, and indeed all the board members I have met (which admittedly is not all of them), are as passionate and one eyed about the club as I am. The difference is they are in a very different position to me, and can’t afford all the holier than thou stuff that supporters can. We just make noise. Their behaviour has real world ramifications. They don’t get everything right, no one does. But how some can, on one hand, lambast sections of the media for making judgement without knowing or caring for the facts, and then on the other hand do exactly the same to our board, is beyond me. To say they are just AFL stooges is not only absolutely wrong, but also highly insulting to people who work extremely hard for the club we all love.

Somehow some people on here only experience catharsis by going on and on and on and on.