Jarrad McVeigh

He posted 3 days ago.

Ok everyone, its (semi) official. PANIC!!!

1 Like

i would actually like that

One year playing the Kelly role.
Influence the up and coming half backs on field like Luke Hodge does at Hawthorn.

Bring over Sydney I.P and culture.
Coaches box in 2019.

Whatā€™s not to really like?

4 Likes

And if we do ā– ā– ā– ā–  all for the next 5 years like we have done for the last 17 years, will you point to the Kelly and McVeigh recruitments over blooding/uncovering a Ridley/Redman/Morgan etc. as reasons for it? Or do these things only get assessed one way?

1 Like

Whatā€™s not to like??
Recruiting a 33-year-old when we are just about to get rid of a bunch of old blokes, thatā€™s what.
Why donā€™t we just get James Kelly to be an assistant coach rather than wasting a year on our list with Jarrad McVeigh?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a reason that teams who are contending donā€™t bring in past great players on the verge of retirement (unless itā€™s to fill the last hole in the best 22 eg Barnes in 2000). I would much prefer to play Redman or Ridley off HB and back them in to become key team members.

3 Likes

Fark. No.

This. You guys are nuts. We go backwards in a real hurry next year without Pops doing what he does. If Iā€™m not wrong he chose to retire, McVeigh wants to go on. McGrath to the middle means Redman or Ridley get their chance anyway. And thatā€™s gonna happen.

1 Like

I donā€™t see much benefit of bringing him over. He is starting to become a liability as he canā€™t run out games + he is getting injured.

History

Wut?

Was still in Swans top5 players on ground Friday night.

Absolute class act.

We are losing a heap of experience, we have a fairly big hole in our list in terms of 25-30yr old, an then have a heap of kids who arenā€™t really ready.

Also got to factor in that we would expect to be pushing higher up ladder and be serious contender next year. Who is going to be more reliable in the heat of a final? McVeigh or Redman?

Heā€™ll be cheap. His experience & swans IP invaluable. And he can still perform at a very high level.

I donā€™t see an issue with getting him and donā€™t think he will be negatively impacting the development of younger players. As per Kelly.

And GWS been doing similar with Stevie J, and most recently Deledio who has been having more and more injury issues. Putting experience in around the young players.

I expect if Kelly was staying on it wouldnā€™t have been considered however for McVeigh.

4 Likes

He did choose to retire because he thought it was the best thing for the club. He thought he could get another year if required. Kelly is far more durable than McVeigh has been this season. If given a choice between the 2 Iā€™d get Pops back out there in a heartbeat. Talk of us being interested in Pittard (please no!), and with the links on JJ and Z.Jones before they re-signed we are obviously looking at a rebounding defender. Who else is out there in the market? Otherwise we will have to put faith in some of the younger guys already at the club.

3 Likes

The kids o my!!! We must think of the kids they will be robbed of valuable experience.

Depending on what else is available, I am open to the idea, as we are light on in this area, and have a lot of experience leaving the club. Even if we do play the likes of Redman and Riddles, (hopefully they are ready to make an impact next year). Its unlikely they will stay in all year. MCG is likely to be moved to the midfield, Bags likely to play on, but may need to be managed, we are one injury away from needing someone like McVeigh.

1 Like

Has the off field equalisation / football Dept spending cap been introduced?

If and when it does scenarios where players are brought in as coach players (coach more than play) will be common. Particularly if rookie list restrictions are lifted and large 40+ player lists remain.

No club plays all listed players. And who would have more benefit in the list next year. Morgan or Long playing 0 games or McVeigh playing 0 games???

Makes sense.

Next year, we will start the year with just 2 players 30 plus. Bags, & BJ.

We will blood all the kids weā€™ve been developing in the 2ā€™s next year, and youā€™ll likely see Mutch Lav Lang Frang Begz and maybe one or two others, (Ridley, Redman etc) ending up part of the best 22 by years end. Along with McCool, Conor Zerret, Parra JD, Razzle, Stewie & The Gleek, U25 then Walla Green Dea Hepp Ambo Harts & Trav in the 25-26 bracket.

I just listed 18 - 20 players that could easily be part of the 22, aged 25 or under.

Hurls Hooksey,Zakka T Bell Myers and Bird are all that will remain in the 27 30 set.

With how many games of finals experience between them? Not to mention just big game experience for many.

We can fit McVeigh in, . and Iā€™d be happy if he played just 12 - 15 games for the year, and then every final.

I get the injury thing, ā€¦ but if we do get him, it will be because we believe we can manage him well, and/or donā€™t see them as necessarily chronic.

6 Likes

Given that it clearly takes more than a year to learn ā€˜teh gameplanā€™, bringing anyone in for one year is dumb, let alone someone whose style of play is set in stone.

Kelly came in under very special circumstances. We needed him last year, and that he could carry on at that level this year was a bonus.

Every other ā€˜stopgapā€™ weā€™ve brought in has been a complete waste of time.
Served us well, some of them, sure.
Some simply served us as well as they could, but they have always set us back more than they brought us forward.

If we want him to coach, then hire him as a coach.

8 Likes

You know sometimes when you google an idea and strike goldā€¦

24 Likes

I found a ā€œPortā€ Essington on a map the other day.

1 Like